Trailer for towing FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not buy a small expanded steel trailer with a fold down gate. Your friends don't know they need to use it until you have one.
Fixed for HRZ.
biggrin.png
biggrinsmiley.gif
biggrinsmiley.gif

The dual rail Kendon trailer has a heavy duty powder coated steel frame, the Dexter Torflex axle, automotive grade sealed wheel bearings with Zerk fittings, high quality chrome spoke wheels mounted with 13-inch ST rated radial tires (Service trailer rating), and a nice tongue mounted utility box. You could load two full-sized bagger Harleys on my Kendon dual rail trailer (with its 2200 lb capacity) and easily haul them across the country if you wanted to. It's designed for that and everything in between. The Northern Tool (and other small utility) trailers won't hold a candle to the kind of service the Kendon is designed for. And for $1,200 bucks used? Pffft. No brainer for me.

Uses for a trailer you ask? I like it for taking the dirt bike and the FJR up to the mountains for a long weekend of street (FJR) and trail (DRZ) riding in the western NC mountains. Cherohala, Deals Gap. Blue Ridge Parkway areas all offer lots of both. Another fantastic recent use for my motorcycle trailer: last September a buddy & I towed our FJRs from Atlanta to Galax, VA so we could spend a week riding western VA and up into the WV mountains. That cut out all the monotonous Interstate riding giving us old farts 10 hours total (5 up and 5 back) of time to bitch and moan about how bad everything is in our miserable f-ing lives lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Kendron trailers do look like nice bike trailers. But that is pretty much all they are good for. If you get a small landscape trailer it will carry your bikes plus perform a whole lot of other useful jobs around the hacienda.

If I were going to spend $2500 for a new trailer, I'd buy a 5' x 8' enclosed box trailer (with a ramp door). In addition to all the other great stuff you could do with an open landscape trailer, you can carry your bike totally protected from the elements (important in winter), locked up securely at night in a hotel parking lot, and even give you some additional "indoor" bike storage space at home.

There's a place just up the road from me that sells a 5' x 10' enclosed cargo trailer with a rear ramp door plus a side access door all for $2630. They have cheaper 5' x 8' model with just a ramp door for only $2260. (I think I'm talking myself into buying a trailer to carry the bike south in the winter)

Last edited by a moderator:
HOA says I can't park a trailer in the driveway. That means it has to go in the garage. That means it takes up valuable garage space. $750 for a Kendon that does the job I need it to do and folds up against the wall was the right tool for the job for me. If I had the place to store it without a monthly fee and was spending $2500, then yea, for sure go with something better and more useful.

HOA says I can't park a trailer in the driveway. That means it has to go in the garage. That means it takes up valuable garage space. $750 for a Kendon that does the job I need it to do and folds up against the wall was the right tool for the job for me. If I had the place to store it without a monthly fee and was spending $2500, then yea, for sure go with something better and more useful.
Without the stand up feature I could not even keep a trailer at my home (unless I dedicated an entire vehicle spot in the garage) and then where do the bikes and/or my vehicle go? So the stand up feature is what sold me on this trailer. Two motorcycles, the Kendon Dual Rail trailer, and my Tacoma all easily fit into my two car garage. And I have a rather small two car garage (20' x 20').

Yea, I was against it, but the school is freaking amazing and a half block from our house. It came down to live somewhere else in a worse neighborhood, longer commute (already 100 miles round trip) or a relatively relaxed HOA with a great school for my kiddo. We know personally a few teachers who took pay cuts to be employed in this district. For that, I'll park my Kendon in my garage.

There is a nicer HOA down the road with large lots and allows the small warehouse style barns, but we couldn't afford a place twice as expensive.

I feel sorry for you guys. I wouldn't want to live in a place where my neighbors tell me what I can and can't have in my own yard.

Yikes!
I once had a Harbor Freight 4x8 cheapie trailer I kept in my back yard. Kept having to move it to keep from killing the grass.

Since then I have had a 15x55 carport (13' high at the lowest) added to the side of my attached garage. I'm rich with manly space! But the Kendon dual gets stood up on its tail and pushed against a wall anyway.

This trailer is so low to the ground the foremost lowest tubes have been sandblasted of the factory powder coating. Must deal with that soon. Thinking of using automotive undercoating as something soft that might endure. If I'm really ambitious Line-X world HQ is just a few miles away and they like to coat any and everything.

As for the claim of superiority of landscape trailers: My Kendon has an aluminum floor. And 4 indentions in said floor from when it was used to move a piano. A motorcycle rides about half as high on a Kendon as a landscape trailer, lower wind resistance. Plus the Kendon doesn't have that big mesh airbrake of a ramp. I know from experience I get 5% to 10% better MPG with the Kendon than with my friend's landscape trailer. Makes a difference on 1000 mile weekends.

I feel sorry for you guys. I wouldn't want to live in a place where my neighbors tell me what I can and can't have in my own yard.

Yikes!
To each his own for sure FredW. No doubt there are pros and cons to living in a "deed restricted community" so one should weigh them carefully before purchasing a home in one. Since the past 25 years we were raising kids we chose to live in deed restricted communities that had nice amenities and also had the highest school scores. Pools, tennis courts, club houses, playgrounds, green spaces, social activities/parties, friendships, and all homes must maintain their appearance to the HOA' s standards. We knew it each time going into it and we actually chose the home because of the HOA regulations (and they are legally binding as well). When you carefully choose your subdivision it will usually help make your home more desirable come resale time. We never had a problem selling (I don't think any of our homes was on the market over 30 days before it sold).

And to stay on topic: the Kendon single or dual rail stand up motorcycle trailer is a perfect fit for those that live in "Deed Restricted Communities" and is likely an important aspect of Kendon's marketing plan.

And to stay on topic: the Kendon single or dual rail stand up motorcycle trailer is a perfect fit for those that live in "Deed Restricted Communities" and is likely an important aspect of Kendon's marketing plan.
Great for apartments and condos as well.