Traveling To and From CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devanator

Reaction score
Use this spot to start making plans for yourselves to get groups together and how everybody is planning on getting there or leaving to go home.

It nice to travel together if a person can. Last year some drove up from Kansas together, Some met in Niobrara NE, Kilroy met me in Alex.

Start making plans. Last year jackson had a thread with some maps that had some nice roads going to Custer from different directions. Let the planning begin. :clapping:

devanator

No firm plans yet, just set the criteria, no slabs, it's just at 1000 mile for me and I have a couple of days to get there. I do want to make a stop in Niobrara, just to say I been there. I can handle Iowa alright, but could use some help on points West.

Would like to meet with the Western brain trust at CFO, after the meet I'll head to my Sister's home near Seattle. Hopefully I can get a solid route worked out that will avoid the slab and still not put me face to face with Bigfoot on some dark mountain road, while Ms Garmin whispers in my ear, recalculating, recalculating, recal......................................... :dribble:

I don't know about Washington, but I can help you out with some nice roads through MT. My sister lives south of Whitefish and have been out there a couple of times. Out that way there is no lack of good roads out to Seattle and back. Sounds like a nice Vacation. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

Here is the post I put together for last year's CFO in Custer. It still applies.

My main advice for those coming from points east is to avoid I. 90 across South Dakota. It's flat, boring, and can at times be quite windy.

Jackson

Here are some suggested travel routes to and from Custer, South Dakota. You can drag them from here onto your desktop and then double-click on them; from there you can enlarge them.
I used Microsoft Streets and Trips to produce the maps. They are displayed here as .jpg files. If you want the Streets and Trips files, send me a message with your email address and I'll send it to you. While the .jpg files are fairly large, the Streets and Trips files are very small, 7-15 K. I understand that the Streets and Trips files can be imported to produce a route for your GPS unit, but I have not tried this yet. Can someone confirm this? Streets and Trips sells for about $36 on Amazon.com. It might be cheaper at your local big-box store.

[SIZE=14pt]Moorcroft, WY to Custer, SD[/SIZE]

Moorcroft-Custer.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Omaha, NE to Custer via 275 & 20[/SIZE]

Omaha-Custervia275-20-sm.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Omaha, NE to Custer via 80 & 2[/SIZE]

This route goes past Carhenge on Hwy. 87 north of Alliance, NE.

carhenge.jpg

Omaha-Custervia80-2-sm.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Sioux Falls, SD to Custer via 44 & 18[/SIZE]

SiouxFalls-Custervia44-18-sm.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Denver to Custer[/SIZE]

Denver-Custer-sm.jpg

Oh route planning is so fun! Leaving Ca wed noonish and getting to Elko or Wells Nv. that eve.

Thursday jump off 80 on 414 through Flaming Gorge to 40 in Co and be in Steamboat Springs or Granby Thursday night.

Will I have time to ride through Rocky Mt. Nat. Park and then on to 71 North to be in Custer by dark on Friday? Or should I use 14 out of Steamboat to save time Friday?

Just trying to use up the sides of my PR2's after blasting across Nevada on 80.

Oh route planning is so fun! Leaving Ca wed noonish and getting to Elko or Wells Nv. that eve.
Thursday jump off 80 on 414 through Flaming Gorge to 40 in Co and be in Steamboat Springs or Granby Thursday night.

Will I have time to ride through Rocky Mt. Nat. Park and then on to 71 North to be in Custer by dark on Friday? Or should I use 14 out of Steamboat to save time Friday?

If there is minimal traffic through RMNP you'll be fine. However, toward the weekends the tourists are out en masse. It's a helluva ride tho.

Maybe RMNP on the way back?

OK, think I have a route now, of course I'm always open to suggestions. Leaving home early Wednesday morning Sept. 10, ride I 74 to Galesburg, IL. Then US 34 to Creston,IA. At Creston pick up IA 25 north to US west, to NE 12 west to Niobrara for the night. Next morning continue on NE 12 to US 20 West to US 385 North and Custer.

Subject to Change :rolleyes:

OK, think I have a route now, of course I'm always open to suggestions. Leaving home early Wednesday morning Sept. 10, ride I 74 to Galesburg, IL. Then US 34 to Creston,IA. At Creston pick up IA 25 north to US west, to NE 12 west to Niobrara for the night. Next morning continue on NE 12 to US 20 West to US 385 North and Custer.

Subject to Change :rolleyes:
Sounds like a blast!

Niobrara is a great stop. If you don't have hotel reservations and can pack along your own sleeping bag/towel, consider the state park right outside of town. They have cabins.

I camped there last year in my tent. Great place.

I don't know about saving time...but CO14 east of the Cameron Pass was one of my favorite Colorado roads from the NAFO trip. 35mph signed left followed by 35 mph signed right curve...repeated for miles. Nice if you hit it on a Wednesday when there is no traffic. Otherwise, it is follow the car down the road or do the yellow line "do I fell lucky" pass lottery. Great road...highly recommended if non-weekend.

Looks like I'm heading out on the 10th. It will by my 9 year old girl an me for a father/daughter 5 day week-end of motorcycling. We would be open to catching somebody along the way. Here is my route for on the way out. We will be heading out of Alex at daybreak. She is surprisingly an early riser when she wants to be. And there are two stops. One for her and one for me. She is reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Hence the stop in De Smet.

MN HY 27 West from Alexandria out to Interstate 29 S in South Dakota.

Interstate 29 S to US 14 West at Brookings SD. (along the way visit Laura Ingalls Wilder Homestead in De Smet. Her stop)

US 14 West from Brookings to Philip. (visit Minutemen Missile Silo. My stop)

Bomb the rest of the way to Custer via Interstate90/ST79/ST36

Two weeks from today I'm heading out. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Two weeks from today will be my second night in Custer :p

I plan to noodle around North and South Dakota for a couple of days and still arrive early :bleh:

Gotta rest up for my first Saddle Sore :sleepysmiley03:

Are you in countdown mode! I'm in the same boat.

With all the extra time Rick swing on down to Colorado, we could Terrorize the locals on the way back to Custer :rolleyes:

Leaving 2 weeks from today for some twisty road inspections on the way there. :yahoo:

Wednesday, Sept 10

Sunshine Low: 46 °F High: 66 °F

Thursday, Sep 11

Sunny abd warmer Low: 49 °F High: 79 °F

Friday, Sep 12

Sunny Low: 48 °F High: 75 °F

Saturday, Sep 13

Warm with some sun Low: 43 °F High: 78 °F

Lookin' Good :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I will be heading out wed. afternoon or early thurs. morning and am open for getting togethere with a group. I met a group last year in Niobrara Ne a great way out. I know Devinator is heading out thru Desmet SD that works for me also. I could also meet up with someone in the Sioux Falls SD Area. I have alot of flexability so send some ideas. It's great to ride as a group. My pillion is coming out Friday as something come up @ her work.

Dale

If your willing to head out on Wed Dale, I would be glad to hook up with you on the way out by your place. I don't have to go to the MMMS in Phillip. Just thought it would be fun. I could come down straight from De Smet and meet up at Madison or Howard and head out. Could give you a call as we head out of De Smet. Give me a shout and let me know what would work for you.

My girl and I are thinking of staying at some friends Tuesday evening so we can get a head start on Wed. Maybe to get at De Smet a little earlier so it won't be such a long day. We have a lot of Parks to stop at on Thursday and Saturday out in the Hills so she can get he Parks Pass Book stamped.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than 10 days before I hit the road, planning on spending Wednesday night in or near Niobrara. Couple of easy 500 mile days.

Time is starting to slow down.

Thinking of changing my route after Niobrara from NB 12 and US 20 to 385, and taking US 18 across SD, looks better on S&T, any one know that road? Advice??