Trip from NewYork to Minnesota via Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docholiday

Reaction score
My son and I are planning a trip from western New York to Minnesota via Canada. We are hoping to tour below and above Lake Superior via the UP of Michigan and Canada. We will be traveling in mid July to visit another son in Minneapolis and friends in Duluth. I have not spent much time in Canada or the area around the Great Lakes so I would love to hear suggestions for places to see and visit. Thanks for your help. It should be a fun trip.

Well, I cant say much for places to stop, but I have to say the north side of Lake Superior in Canada is very beautiful riding. Hills, curves, and a great view of Superior. We have some pictures on our site at 2wheelriders.com if you want to take a look. We took that way on the way from Alexandria, MN to Toronto ON last year. You might want to stop and chow on some smoked fish between Two Harbors and Duluth.... good stuff! Anyway, you have a great trip to look forward to. Hope you have a good time!

Russ

Thanks for the reply Russ. I checked out your site but wasn't sure what folder the pictures of Superior were stashed in. Ken

Doc,

Don't know your exact travel dates.. but we may (possibly) be crossing paths out that a way this mid July.

Shoot me a PM and let me know.

WW

Don't know about the other areas, plan to explore them myself in August. The north shore of Superior is .......well...superior! The smoke house my fellow Minnesotan was referring to is Lou's I think. Not much to look at, but good smoked fish and jerky. It's also pretty tough to pass up Betty's pies, which is just north of Two Harbors.

Couple highlights along hwy 61 are Gooseberry falls, and Split rock lighthouse. For many more things to see check out Linky .

In the Northern Ontario region, you have two options, you can travel North on Hwy 69 (Muskoka's offer up some good riding) or Hwy 11. Alternatively, you can take the ChiChiMan across Georgian Bay from Tobermory and arrive at South Bay Mouth on Manitoulin Island. The ferry is about 45 minutes and runs several times per day. Manitoulin Island is the largest freshwater island in the world, offers plenty of sights to see. The ride North along Hwy 6 between Little Current and Espanola offers some really spectacular scenery and is freshly paved with lots of high speed sweepers.

Turning west on Hwy 17, you really should make time to do the Deer Trail over top of Elliot Lake, theirs some great lodges to stay at in the area, scenery is fantastic and the road is tres' twisty paralleling the Little White River. This is a remote ride though that takes about 2 hrs. Careful in the corners as the winter sand takes its time washing off the road. One of my favourites though!

You might think about stopping on St. Josephs Island close to Sault Ste. Marie. If your hotelling it and want really nice accomodations, though a bit on the pricey side - stay at the Watertower Inn. Great restaurant downstrairs too.

The ride North up Hwy 17 from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa, expect to take a full day, with a view of Lake Superior on the left and the Algoma Highlands on the right. Lots of rivers/rapids/waterfalls to stop and see. The same can be said for the ride from Wawa to Thunder Bay.

Advice: do NOT pass a gas station when you less than half a tank when travelling from Sault Ste. Marie north! also, if you can avoid it, do NOT ride after dark. Moose are big and can demolish a car with only a glance. You don't want to see what happens when you hit one on a bike.

Oh, and bring extra batteries for your camera. Your gonna be given it a work out.

Here's some links to pics and vids of the area:

Deer Trail

Deer Trail Video

Ste. Saint Marie - Wawa

Superior Video

This should get ya going!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are great. I'm getting some good ideas. I like to rest in a nice motel after a good day of riding. In my younger years I did some tent camping but really look forward to the soft bed and the warm shower. Any comments about the weather around Superior in mid July? How cold is it likely to get in the mornings? Thanks

You guys are great. I'm getting some good ideas. I like to rest in a nice motel after a good day of riding. In my younger years I did some tent camping but really look forward to the soft bed and the warm shower. Any comments about the weather around Superior in mid July? How cold is it likely to get in the mornings? Thanks
The pics and the video that I posted were taken in August. You can reasonably expect nice weather (70+) during the day, but the evenings/mornings can be cool (50F). Also because of the 'lake effect', you can get some heavy fog (as you can see in my stuff). If its foggy in the morning, put on your rain gear to ward off the chills and stay dry before you start. Usually burns off as the sun rises though. Truthfully though, I wouldn't worry to much about the weather.

Got our passports all updated and ready to go. Just hope we don't have to wait in line too long at the border.

You guys are great. I'm getting some good ideas. I like to rest in a nice motel after a good day of riding. Any comments about the weather around Superior in mid July? How cold is it likely to get in the mornings? Thanks
+ 1 on ChiChiMan ("The Big Canoe").

Be cognizant of the wind direction and velocity (check weather forecasts) when in the proximity of Lake Superior. That lake never really warms-up and can really affect how you'll enjoy your day's riding (wind off-shore, good -- wind off-the-lake, bad). I'd advise even making your routing decisions by that (if there's a strong wind) -- U.P. or North Shore.

You're welcome.

You guys are great. I'm getting some good ideas. I like to rest in a nice motel after a good day of riding. Any comments about the weather around Superior in mid July? How cold is it likely to get in the mornings? Thanks
+ 1 on ChiChiMan ("The Big Canoe").

Be cognizant of the wind direction and velocity (check weather forecasts) when in the proximity of Lake Superior. That lake never really warms-up and can really affect how you'll enjoy your day's riding (wind off-shore, good -- wind off-the-lake, bad). I'd advise even making your routing decisions by that (if there's a strong wind) -- U.P. or North Shore.

You're welcome.
Lake temp heats all the way up to 50 in the peak of summer. So a brisk wind off the lake might feel refreshing. :rolleyes: :cold:

Originally I thought about taking a leisurely cruise out Route 50 thru the Midwest to Minnesota, but I figured the coolness of Superior and Canada might be welcome in mid July. That is why we decided on the northern route.

Originally I thought about taking a leisurely cruise out Route 50 thru the Midwest to Minnesota,
U.S. 50...? Well, that would be different/novel (and warmer). (IMO)Motorcycles work better (are more comfortable -- especially for the pillion/passenger) warmer vs. colder.

...but I figured the coolness of Superior and Canada might be welcome in mid July. That is why we decided on the northern route.
Well, you're probably right about that. Be sure you dress for/carry clothes for any weather (electric vests). Lake effect snow in the U.P. (near the big lake) can happen all summer long. The ice just 'went out' on some lakes in N. MN (there still may be some ice on some lakes....?)

Of course, if your weather happens to be influenced by a big hi-pressure cell and the winds are warm and from the S. SW -- you'll be 'golden'.

Good luck (but, don't under-estimate Lake Superior).

Duluth is a 'neat' town to visit (stop-by Aerostich, if you can). :)

Latest posts