Trouble at the Pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICLET

Reaction score
So I am on my way to work this morning, and realize I need fuel. I pull up to the pump turn off the ignition, insert key into fuel cap lock and try to turn clockwise, nothing happens "uhmm" I say and try again same result, although it is 6:00 a.m. I know not to force the key but try to wiggle and jiggle (the key) push down and try to turn but no movement at all in the lock department. Rocket Scientist that I am, conclude that after riding the bike for 17 months and 15,000 miles this is the first time I have ever put the key in the wrong way, the fuel filler lock must be unique as oppossed to the rest of the locks on the bike which will operate with the key inserted either way yeah right. Still no movement in the key department.

After gently trying several more times the key finally turns as though nothing was wrong. I fuel up and go on to work. My question now is what could be wrong? would something like WD40 eliminate this issue? or do I have a lock tumble going bad?

I did try a search first but found no similar issues

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not unheard of... you likely have an extremely dirty key/tumblers in your fuel cap lock. WD-40 and compressed air should help.

The best thing for locks is graphite spray. WD-40 type products can attract dirt. The graphite spray goes on wet but dries and leaves a coating of graphite to lubricate the lock.

My two cents worth.

John

WD-40 type products can attract dirt.

Correct. WD-40 is not the best product for locks. The WD-40 will clean things up nicely but (depending on your environment) might be adding to your grit/grime problems in the long run.

Graphite = good.

Img32.jpg
20050401_HOME_CARE_page003img004.jpg