Turn Signals and Tail Light Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
I have a friend who's trying to hunt down a problem with her FJR and trying to assist remotely. The turn signals and tail lights are out. Fuse is good, bulbs are good. Can't find any common thing here that would cause both of those to fail, other than the fuse. Thoughts, ideas?

Check that fuse with a tester or meter. I had the same faults and even though the fuse looked good it had blown. If I remember correctly is was a 5 amp fuse located to the rear of the battery on a '09. Turn Signals/Emergency flasher and brake light.

Fuse is good. Another friend is there helping. There is 8v at the tail light (battery is soft from sitting and testing, resting at 11.6 volts), which is very low. Nothing at the turn signals.

Edit: oops, he tested the wrong wire. Tail light is getting 0 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What year is the bike? Any chance of ground spider bite?

...The turn signals and tail lights are out...
Gen I or Gen II? All turn signals or just the rear? Brake lights? (GenII) license plate light?

Gen I Sub-Wire Harness connector 1 (B in the schematic), 12 pin coupler populated with 10 wires.

Gen II the Brake/Tail light coupler with one common ground in the coupler fits the bill.

This is a gen2, 2007. All turn signals out. Tail light out. License plate light out. Only light on the back that works is the brake light.

Gen II most likely items to check:

1. Ignition switch

2. Signaling System Fuse (ya, it's been checked -- the right one? And, done by probing the metal tabs exposed on the top of the fuse for voltage with the ignition switch on?)

3. Coupler 5 Wire Harness (front cowling wiring harness) 10 position coupler populated with 9 wires, check the Blue/Red wire, it should be +12 volts when the ignition is turned on and the fuse is good.

This should find the problem, if it doesn't You'll Be Back.

1. Ignition switch

2. Signaling System Fuse (ya, it's been checked -- the right one? And, done by probing the metal tabs exposed on the top of the fuse for voltage with the ignition switch on?)

3. Coupler 5 Wire Harness (front cowling wiring harness) 10 position coupler populated with 9 wires, check the Blue/Red wire, it should be +12 volts when the ignition is turned on and the fuse is good.

Thanks! Will let you know the results :)

1. Ignition switch

Thanks! Will let you know the results
smile.png
Edit: I was a few words short of a completer answer.

If there is NO 12 volts at the Signaling System fuse with the key ON it is a key switch failure.

If there is 12 volts on both sides of the Signaling System fuse, the ignition switch is good & of course the fuse is good.

If there is 12 volts at both sides of the fuse the problem is highly likely to be the Blue/Red wire in Coupler 5.

OK - unplugging that 10 pin connector results in the tail light coming on. Seem to be on the right track.

OK - unplugging that 10 pin connector results in the tail light coming on. Seem to be on the right track.
YIKES! That should ensure that lights DO NOT work. I'm thinking the owner should start investigating spiders.

And it's the brake light that lights up when that plug is not connected - not the tail light. My bad.

A friend helping locally was able to get it sorted out. The smaller connector in the same boot as the 12 pin rubber sealed connector (The 8 pin one), and both 10 pin connectors under the left cowl had corroded contacts. Once cleaned up everything is working as it should. Thanks for the input here, that got us in the right area at least :) .

Dear Mr. ionbeam,
I hope you drink, because this forum owes you a lifetime supply of beer.
I offered some help to a Southern FJR owner, he figured my assistance was worth 4 pints of 'shine. My wife ate all the cherries (and couldn't walk, talk or see straight afterwards) and those good ol' southern boys proceeded to drink all the 'shine while reviewing how good it was. Unlike everyone else, I felt good the next morning. GalaxyBlue has a family member in the single malt scotch business across the pond and shared a special high octane bottle with me. He chose not to make the early ride the next morning and seemed to prefer the cool, quiet comfort of his room ;) That same weekend there was 'shine with strawberries that resulted in a lot of slow people the next morning that had an affinity for aspirin.

'shining at it's best, cherries are better that strawberries:

IMG_8047c.jpg

Latest posts