Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Win 10, what a colossal waste of time! After finally getting it installed at the prodding of my tech savvy son who was sure I'd appreciate the "old school" interface, I had nothing but problems with it. PC wouldn't shut down, would hang when trying to restart, Firefox would hang, wireless router communication failures (X4) yada, yada, ya....

It did however work well when I followed the instructions to go back to Win 8.1. It's back running on 8.1 just fine thank you and the 23 hours I had Win 10 is now in the rear view mirror. I should've listened to that mantra I oft quote, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Did you see where Microsoft proved Apple's point that a WinTel machine built to Apple standards (Surface Book) costs the same as Apple hardware? https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000
Yeah its not cheap to have quality.... something that PC's have lacked for quite some time IMO... which was the reason I bought the Mac Air.... But I just can't seem to get proficient with the way apple does things, just so foreign to me....

I'm getting in line to pick up one of those new Surface Books...

Win 10 on a new machine built to handle it with the proper drivers for all the hardware was a flawless startup for me - no issues thus far.

I allowed the upgrade from Win 7.1 Pro to Win 10 on my 7-year old laptop. I'm getting slightly faster startup. Most programs/Apps still work fine. The Synaptics touchpad does not seem to scroll. Other than that, it seems to work okay. I still need more time to see if anything is missing in functionality, but so far, so meh.

Did you see where Microsoft proved Apple's point that a WinTel machine built to Apple standards (Surface Book) costs the same as Apple hardware? https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000
Yeah its not cheap to have quality.... something that PC's have lacked for quite some time IMO... which was the reason I bought the Mac Air.... But I just can't seem to get proficient with the way apple does things, just so foreign to me....

I'm getting in line to pick up one of those new Surface Books...

Win 10 on a new machine built to handle it with the proper drivers for all the hardware was a flawless startup for me - no issues thus far.
Which, to me, seems strange. I was WinTel from Win3 (with forays into Win2 from DOS 2 and up). Moving to OS X was easy for me. There were a couple of things that "seemed" difficult at first but when I figured them out it was a real "DUH" moment and the realization that I'd been conditioned to do things the hard way for so long that "intuitive" no loner was.

Where's the highlight the file name, left-click, menu, "rename"? Oh, you simply highlight the file name, hit enter/return, and type the new name? DUH! Bulk rename of files with sequential numbers? Left-click, Rename 57 files, base_name with numbers starting at 1, OK... no 3rd party utility needed. Print to/Save as PDF built in to the OS. And more. The stuff built into OS X compared to the plethora of 3rd party stuff needed in WinTel is incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulk rename of files with sequential numbers? Left-click, Rename 57 files, base_name with numbers starting at 1, OK... no 3rd party utility needed.
Why did you need a third party utility to do this in Windows?

Bulk rename of files with sequential numbers? Left-click, Rename 57 files, base_name with numbers starting at 1, OK... no 3rd party utility needed.
Did I miss something in Win7?

Wintel vs. Aptel, we need a spin-off to this NEPRT.

Good point. Oops. It already is.

Yep, that's how I sequentially numbered the screenshots with the same name for my IBR spotwalla videos. Thousands all at once.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'><p>Wintel vs. Aptel, we need a spin-off to this NEPRT.</p></blockquote>

<br />

<br />

Good point. Oops. It already is.</p></blockquote>

I know it is already NEPRT, that's why I said spin-off to this NEPRT. You do know what spin-off means, don't you? :)

Unless it is okay to derail a thread which is already in NEPRT. ;)

Did I miss something in Win7?
Yes. Just highlight the files to be renamed. Right click & hit rename. Rename 1 file and all the rest will be numbered.
Okay. I was looking for the selection for picking the range desired.

Ahh, yea, maybe not quite that sophisticated, but it'll do the job for sure. At least in Windows you can do it in a real file explorer.
biggrin.png

I use a Mac all day in the office (web design/server mgmt) and have a Win 8.1 PC at home, strictly for gaming use (which still refuses to upgrade to Win 10, which is ok). I see the good/bad sides of both...it's really just whatever fits your fancy. Truth is, I don't think I could stand using a PC in the office.
wink.png