Upgrading from a Gen II to a Gen III FJR... worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJanky

Reaction score
I currently own a 2007 FJR with 17,000 miles on it. It has served me well over the past 6 years. It took me across the USA and back without any hiccups. I've never had any problems with it and just do the regular maintenance items at home. It's been a great bike all around. I installed some farkles on my bike over the years and they work really well for me (CalSci windshield, Remus slip on exhaust, frame sliders, bar risers, Bill Meyer custom seat, Fuzeblock, custom trunk rack).

Ever since the new 2013 FJR came out, I've been having these evil thoughts of replacing my current one with the new one.

I like what they've done with the facelift, and of course would love to have all the new features that the new one has (heated grips, electronic cruise control, traction control, etc). I also LOVE the color of the new one.

For the guys that have "upgraded" from the Gen II to the Gen III, do you think it was worth it?

Btw, here's some pics of my current bike:

IMG_5724_zps1d7b362c.jpg

IMG_5730_zpsf8a7a5a6.jpg

IMG_5732_zpsfc6b43f7.jpg

You have a very nice looking '07 equipped with the farkles you want.

Since you are averaging less that 3k per year, my question to you is, would it be worth it to go to Gen III?

Not trying to talk you out of a great motorcycle. If the $$$ is no issue and you just want the new version, go for it.

From a strictly value added standpoint......no, it isn't worth it.....not even close. Of course, if every upgrade was based on a strict valve added criteria the only time anyone would upgrade is when the old bike was no longer running. If you want the 2013 then you should buy it if you can find the deal that works for you.

Ever since the new 2013 FJR came out, I've been having these evil thoughts of replacing my current one with the new one.
I like what they've done with the facelift, and of course would love to have all the new features that the new one has (heated grips, electronic cruise control, traction control, etc). I also LOVE the color of the new one.
Follow your heart, man. Life is a highway, so ride it the way you want, on what you want. Don't second-guess yourself.

Me, I'm happy with my Gen II... for now

If the my bike was stollen or totaled then sure, new one no problem.

Trade in a perfectly good, nearly new one for a newer one? Oh hell no.

And what's with the ~50 miles a week average? Get out and ride! OK?

Ride more, lust less.

Do what you think best but if you only ride 3000 miles a year that's gonna cost you losts of money per mile of travel. Personally I wouldn't consider it unless I was planning to do LOTS of out of state riding.

Bill

As others have said - from a money/common sense look, no, don't do it.

But then bikes don't always have much to do with CS, right? If you want one, do it! Them Gen 3s sure look purty............

With only 17,000 miles and that purty Candy Maroon color I'd keep the 07 for a few years, just my .02 though.

While the 13 is nice, it isn't a complete new design or anything, same motor, same suspension...with a few mods.

Nah, I wouldn't do it. Based on the oil analysis I had done on my '07 the first year, the engine break-in wear components didn't start dropping until about 8k and leveled out at about 12k. So you're just barely past that on your engine. I turned 64,500 miles on mine yesterday so IMHO if you got the money then go for it. But I wouldn't. Let's see........64,000 minus 17,000 equals......ummmmm.......47,000. Divided by 3000 is......errrr...... a lot of years riding to get just where I'm at. And sometimes I think I'm a slug when I see the miles some of these guys put on their bikes. My measly 12-13k/yr (bought new in Jan '08) is downright embarrassing sometimes.

I like my Gen II just fine; if I were to swap to a Gen III it would have to be a 1400. If Yamaha does this within the next few years a lot of Gen III folks are going to be pissed!

I have an 06 with 120k miles and was lusting for the 13 but it just doesn't make sense at this time. The 06 is running just so well and I wouldn't get anything near what it is worth and it is set up for me. Lots of time and money to set this bike up and it needs nothing. Just to be ridden more and more of which I am more than happy to accomadate.

I like my Gen II just fine; if I were to swap to a Gen III it would have to be a 1400. If Yamaha does this within the next few years a lot of Gen III folks are going to be pissed!
I come at it the other way. I'd rather see it stay a 1300 and lose 100 pounds. In fact, I'd give 'em $20 a pound in retail price increase for every one lost. Mind you, I appreciate the Gen III has lost a touch of weight, but imo, the FJR is still on the heavy side.

WWWobble

Not this one. I may one of the few motorcyclists alive for whom more power than I need is adequate ;) Fuel range is more important at this point. I went riding with a Goldwing buddy yesterday on fun crooked roads, and running 65 or so, I got 47.7 mpg. I'd like to see it lose some weight too, but I'm very happy with what I've got.

IBJanky, only you can make that decision. Throughout most of human history, people have struggled to have what they need to survive. We're incredibly fortunate to live in a time where we can buy what we want with clear conscience. As long as it doesn't put you more deeply in debt than you can handle and it doesn't create discourse in the family, why not? ;)

It's certainly true that you'll pay quite a price for the few improvements, but amortize that expense over the next several years, and maybe it's worth it to you.

Your decision.

If you could trade what you have straight up for one, sure. However, the truth is, if you do trade in, you lose a minimum of 1k on what you COULD get for your bike and you'll pay about 500 in taxes on the new bike. If ya don't trade, the governor will want his 1k in taxes and ya get to struggle with getting a decent price out of your 07. However, it should sell quickly considering the time of year right now and the miles. Even so, it will cost you about 7k more than what you're driving. Is it REALLY worth that much money to get essentially the same thing? I know, there ARE differences, but 7k worth?

Just my opinion,

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the Gen III has lost a touch of weight, but imo, the FJR is still on the heavy side.
When you say the FJR is heavy what are you comparing it to?

I think it's the lightest among the Connie 14, ST1300 and Trumpet Trophy.

If you could trade what you have straight up for one, sure. However, the truth is, if you do trade in, you lose a minimum of 1k on what you COULD get for your bike and you'll pay about 500 in taxes on the new bike. If ya don't trade, the governor will want his 1k in taxes and ya get to struggle with getting a decent price out of your 07. However, it should sell quickly considering the time of year right now and the miles. Even so, it will cost you about 7k more than what you're driving. Is it REALLY worth that much money to get essentially the same thing? I know, there ARE differences, but 7k worth?
Just my opinion,

Gary

darksider #44
Good post.