USB mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonRider

Reaction score
In looking for an elegant solution to providing power to my dash area I have found many options (a lot more that ten years ago... when I last outfitted a bike with power for goodies). All the power will run to my tank bag.

My needs are iPhone, iPod, GPS and a cig lighter plug for whatever else. The iDevices and the GPS use USB; I have a radar detector too but it will be direct wired to my fuse panel.

I currently have a direct wire to the battery with a 7.5v fuse. I use it for my Battery Tender. I figure I can use this for the cigarette adapter.

For the USB I was planning on running a wire from my fuse panel so it would power off with the ignition switch.

I found this little goodie on eBay. It has a built in volt meter. It looks too cheap to be any good though.

Suggestions?

I have two UBS outlets fitted to the "D" Panel. That's a circular thing like half of the unit you linked above. I thought about that unit but it's not easy to find panel space to mount it. Power is from the Fuzeblock. Be careful with those things, they are not all capable of delivering the rated current, and decent cables to your device are a must.

I also have a USB adaptor fitted into the cigarette type outlet in the fairing box. That is fused at 15 Amps so I can also use it for my compressor. You can use a file to make enough space in the lip of the lid to let cables out.

Also ... If you have an SAE battery tender lead, you can get a USB adaptor that fits directly on the end of it when it is not needed for battery charging, etc.

Cheap voltmeters can be useful, but check the calibration. I had one on the Venture Royale that consistently read 0.5V low. As it was consistently low it was just as useful as an expensive, accurate one.

I got a Dual USB Hub that I mounted under the seat, ran a single USB cable up to the X-Grip for the phone on the handlebars, and also kept one under the seat for charging a phone or whatever there. You can just see the hub on the lower right of the picture below. I cut the fuse and ran it straight to a switched port on the FuzeBlock.... I was thinking of installing a switch to it, so I can choose battery power or switched power in the future, but so far I haven't needed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-Charger-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B00NEJ46V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437774436&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+usb+waterproof

Make sure anything you get, that its 2.1a for full charging capabilites... That includes cables - they make data / charging or dedicated charging cables, like the red one pictured

PJF_6846_zpsfdw9yf8b.jpg

PJF_6843_zpsub9edytd.jpg

I believe the Garmin 590LM comes with a usb port built in to the cradle and will fit almost all your list needs.

I believe the Garmin 590LM comes with a usb port built in to the cradle and will fit almost all your list needs.
Are you sure. I read the 590 manual and it doesn't mention this feature ... actually, the manual doesn't even describe the sockets on the cable either.

As I understand it, that USB socket is for a traffic receiver, but who knows :)

I used the two 3/8" tapped holes in the Heli top triple clamp to mount a bracket I made with USB 5V taps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNGCDVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 and a 12V socket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZVZL5C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 , wired with 18 ga. to a switched output on the Fuzeblock under the seat. There was room for a RAM ball also.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks ya'll!

Are you sure. I read the 590 manual and it doesn't mention this feature ... actually, the manual doesn't even describe the sockets on the cable either.

As I understand it, that USB socket is for a traffic receiver, but who knows
smile.png
Yeah the manual failed to talk about the cradle. The USB will charge your devices and works great with the iphone. Touratech makes makes light of it here.

As I understand it, that USB socket is for a traffic receiver, but who knows
smile.png
Yeah the manual failed to talk about the cradle. The USB will charge your devices and works great with the iphone. Touratech makes makes light of it here.
Nine hundred bucks and they can't even write a manual that explains the features.

It's not good.