Using "sponge learning" to make the best decision!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 92986

Reaction score
If this post is in the wrong area, please accept my apologies, I will claim the "newbie" exemption!  Perfectly happy to "soak up knowledge" so I can learn from the wisdom and experiences of others.

Background:I have narrowed my purchasing search to a Gen 3 2013-15 (leaning towards a '15, but keeping an open mind), with an outside look at the '16 model.While the cosmetics are important, I am fully willing to accept a sound bike, that has been scratched from an inadvertent drop, then I won't feel as bad when I do it.

Questions:The question I have is what specific things beyond the tires, fluids, mx records) would be items you would want to look at before committing to a purchase? Ex: there is a lot fo conversation about the cracking of the sub frame in the tail. It seems like that is a very expensive fix, but I am not sure how to make sure the bike I might want to buy doesn't have the issue. I am not sure how a seller would feel about asking them to disassemble their bike so I can take a look.If you would like to give me a price range for each model, I would be happy to accept that input as well.Again, I am most appreciative of all the information, and I know everyone has a different perspective. Thank you in advance for helping out the FNGSky

While some owners have had issues with the subframe cracking I don't think the issue is as widespread as you're fearing. You can look at the section of subframe where cracks have been noted by simply removing the pillion seat. It's right close to the tail light assembly. I'm on my second FJR and I've ridden both bikes, 2-up quite a bit with a trunk mounted and more than once overloaded and haven't had any issues with the subframe. I have gone to the Givi SR357 rack and Givi trunk which I feel is stronger than the OEM Yamaha trunk and mount. Garauld on this forum makes a "stiffy kit" which is easily installed and strengthens that area of the subframe as well.

+1 on either the Givi rack (not just the mount) or the stiffy kit.  Both for belt and suspenders but probably overdoing it there.

Another thing to check on the Gen IIIs, especially if prior drop marks isn't going to bother you, is for looseness at each mirror.  The front sub-frame is probably more susceptible to damage than the rear with minimal torque transmitted through either mirror (say from a standing drop for example) being enough to crack it close to where the mirror attaches under the fairing.  Not cheap to replace, some form of repair isn't straightforward and in either case time consuming.   Say no to floppy mirrors.

Latest posts