Valve Check Problem!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a pain in the ass!  I would be embarrassed to say how long that took.  There are five wrong ways and one right way - I found all the wrong ways.  Probably would take an hour the next time (if there is a next time).  I found it very difficult to clearly see if it was in time via the marks on the sprockets.  Even with an LED flashlight and an inspection mirror.    I relied on the "oil hole" in the camshaft as a first approximation.  I have a thin metal ruler I laid along the engine casing which helped.  Found that even when I could see the timing marks, parallax made it difficult for me to decide if it was right or not.  I think a fiber optic borescope would be helpful.

Anyway, engine is back together and seems to run well.  Started immediately, good cold idle, came down to around 1200 rpm when warm.  Took throttle well but I didn't get a chance to take it for a ride.  That will tell me if I did everything right (this time). 

Started with air screws 3/4 turns out and did a TBS.  I was planning to do a throttle body cleaning but I'll leave that for another day.  Enough drama with the valve check.

I appreciate the suggestions and helpful pointers.

Thanks

What a pain in the ass!  I would be embarrassed to say how long that took.  There are five wrong ways and one right way - I found all the wrong ways.  Probably would take an hour the next time (if there is a next time).  I found it very difficult to clearly see if it was in time via the marks on the sprockets.  Even with an LED flashlight and an inspection mirror.    I relied on the "oil hole" in the camshaft as a first approximation.  I have a thin metal ruler I laid along the engine casing which helped.  Found that even when I could see the timing marks, parallax made it difficult for me to decide if it was right or not.  I think a fiber optic borescope would be helpful.

Anyway, engine is back together and seems to run well.  Started immediately, good cold idle, came down to around 1200 rpm when warm.  Took throttle well but I didn't get a chance to take it for a ride.  That will tell me if I did everything right (this time). 

Started with air screws 3/4 turns out and did a TBS.  I was planning to do a throttle body cleaning but I'll leave that for another day.  Enough drama with the valve check.

I appreciate the suggestions and helpful pointers.

Thanks
No reason to be embarrassed. My last one took about the same time for the same reasons you described.  What’s important is you got it right.  

CONGRATS Ross! When I've screwed the pooch and cost me time and money, I just recall how much I've saved by doing the work myself. 

Took care of a bunch of general maintenance stuff - oil&filter, rear drive, lube clutch and brake levers, lube rear brake pivot, replaced the rubber on the shift lever.  Started reassembly and will finish it tomorrow morning before a test ride in the afternoon.  I had a number of other items planned for this maintenance cycle but had enough drama for right now.  Nothing else is critical (unless the fork seals give up for good).  Still want to do fork bushings and seals, relay arm bearing, get my "spare" Penske shock serviced,  drive shaft and u-joint service, do a throttle body cleaning and completely rewire all the accessories - previous owner didn't do it the way I would and it is a bit of a rat's nest.

Hung the rest of the plastic back on the bike.  (I took off more than necessary including front fairing panels because I was planning on doing other "stuff".)   No parts missing and no parts left over!  Broke one push-pin rivet.

Cool and windy (although dry) today so I managed to get out for 100 km run.  No stumble, vibration, poor mileage or lack of acceleration so I guess I must have got it right.

I get it. Almost 200 miles today on KrZy8.. after new fuel pp and a BUNCH O WORK. Nothing but grins!

Congrats.  Like those in the medical community, when we work on our bikes we always strive to “First, do no harm.”

This week looks to be a rain soaked, but fairly warm one.  Might be a good time to crack open my 2014 for its second valve check.  Last one had quite a few on the tight side.  I like to do the checks / adjusts every 25k mile intervals along with plugs, coolant, etc.  Easier to remember than the metric converted mileages.  It only goes wonky when you have to do oil changes early due to time (not mileage) but I tend not to do that.

Congrats.  Like those in the medical community, when we work on our bikes we always strive to “First, do no harm.”
This was just the second valve check for this bike.  Original owner did it at 42,000 km (26,000 mi).  I bought it with something like 58,000 km and didn't get around to the valve check until 130,000 km (~81,000 mi).  Only one intake was below spec (by 0.03 mm) but the rest were pretty close at 0.15 to 0.16 or so - maybe one at 0.17mm.  With them all now at 0.18 to 0.21, I probably won't look at them again until 200,000 km unless I am into the engine for something else.  I'll have to remember to change the plugs before then!

I have a bunch more stuff to do on the bike but decided to wait a little while.  Maybe find a Tech Day somewhere if the borders open up.  Sometimes nice to do stuff in the company of others - especially for stuff that has the potential to go badly (i.e. forks).