Vandalism Prevention Ideas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
­

­

I think the wisdom in this post bears repeating:

­

Chocking it where it's still accessible simply reduces their ability to push it over. In retaliation they'll simply do something else to it.

But this guy came up with the best solution:

­

I don't have a garage, did build a shed that I could put the Shawdow in when we moved in and could possibly start keeping the FJR in there but really don't want the extra steps of pulling the bike out every morning.
The little cloth garage you posted seems like a nice way to keep out the elements, but not a determined teenager. Pocketknife anyone? Then you'll have a sliced up little cloth garage and a vandalized Feej.

I think it's unfortunate that your local wildlife have devolved to the point of damaging your bike for shits and giggles, but that's the reality you face. It doesn't sound like you're made of money (I know I'm not), so I imagine the $3000 you spent on repairs could have been put to use in about a million better ways than this.

So my advice: Take your own advice and do the extra steps every evening/morning to store your twice-vandalized bike in the shed you already own. Or move.

Lucky for my wallet my insurance took care of all but my deductibles of $50 each time so I'm out $100 bucks. I know the shed is the next best thing to having a garage which I why I built it big/stong enough to hold a bike. Just hate that because they want a rush I get to rearrange my life. The goal here is a solution to keep it out front and easily secure or appear secured to the point where they don't want to attempt it again.

A brighter light over the garage may help the camera and it might illuminate the wheel chock better so they see it's secured.

We have talked about moving already having a garage at the new home being manditory. Both of us want new jobs and the housing market is much better than it was so it's possible we will be within a year or so.

I haven't used the shed for a bike since I got the FJR so I will have to make room in there for it. Keeping that Shadow clean and the chrome from rusting sadly was a big push for me to sell it and pick up an FJR. No chrome = no polishing and no worries about it getting wet.

I agree with others here. If these kids have done this twice with no consequences a wheel chock or a cloth cover is an in-your-face challenge to them. IMO you have two choices: 1) put the bike in the shed, or 2) set up visible lights and camera(s) and maybe even post a CCTV sign. Then, if you record them, prosecute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a used 5x10 enclosed trailer and use it as a garage for the bike. The lights and recorder may be good for the kids but I remember what I did as a kid in a nicely lit new car lot. I didn't need a flashlight to give myself away. Just sayin'

Out of sight, out of mind.

I agree with others here. If these kids have done this twice with no consequences a wheel chock or a cloth cover is an in-your-face challenge to them. IMO you have two choices: 1) put the bike in the shed, or 2) set up visible lights and camera(s) and maybe even post a CCTV sign. Then, if you record them, prosecute.
I was joking when I posted the picture of the mean looking dogs. Even if you were willing to add the pets to your family, you would be responsible if they harmed the miscreants.

However, the camera and motion light might be a good deterrent, and if it doesn't stop them then it will help you prove your point to the parents and police. I am always surprised by how many parents simply refuse to believe that their little darling is responsible for some wrong doing.

Just hate that because they want a rush I get to rearrange my life.
understood. that's not the current reality though.

The goal here is a solution to keep it out front and easily secure or appear secured to the point where they don't want to attempt it again.
actually, the goal is not to have to repair your bike or have other property vandalized. just because you prevent a tip over doesn't prevent vandalism. trust me on this one. It's much more effort for them to tip it over than it is to simply bash the mirrors and plastic with a handy object. an unmovable bike that's still visible and accessible is still a temptation. the very fact that you try to lock it down will be taken as a challenge they will rise to overcome.

as for the FJR. leaving it in the elements may not affect the plastic as much as chrome would but there are still affects to the various parts and systems. use the shed, dude.

Get a simple surveillance camera mounted up high and put a warning sign on the bike.

Go one step further and put an arrow on the sign pointing to the camera.

You can even use a fake camera, the kicker is in the wording on the sign.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS SIGN, I CAN SEE YOU!

I suspect you need to stop these idiots from doing this to you and others. The best way to accomplish this is to get them on video and let your police get involved. When the parents have to come up with the money to repair the damage to your property they will fix the problem with their kids. It is unfortunate that most parents today, even with video proof of their children's misbehavior, will not admit that they have failed to properly prepare their children to function in the world. Sorry you have to go through this, but avoiding this problem is not going to fix anything. IR video game cameras are pretty cheap now days.

Dogs, Guns, Physical Harm to perps?

All those would be satisfing, but to much liability goes with them.

the camera recording to a DVD & security lighting actived by a motion detector would seem to be the your best bet in todays kinder and gentler society.

Day/night camera connected to a DVR - I did that when locals were spray painting cars & such in my area - 1 week later had images of kids and car for the police - their parents made restitution. The camera remains in place today.

­

­

I think the wisdom in this post bears repeating:

­

Chocking it where it's still accessible simply reduces their ability to push it over. In retaliation they'll simply do something else to it.

But this guy came up with the best solution:

­

I don't have a garage, did build a shed that I could put the Shawdow in when we moved in and could possibly start keeping the FJR in there but really don't want the extra steps of pulling the bike out every morning.
The little cloth garage you posted seems like a nice way to keep out the elements, but not a determined teenager. Pocketknife anyone? Then you'll have a sliced up little cloth garage and a vandalized Feej.

I think it's unfortunate that your local wildlife have devolved to the point of damaging your bike for shits and giggles, but that's the reality you face. It doesn't sound like you're made of money (I know I'm not), so I imagine the $3000 you spent on repairs could have been put to use in about a million better ways than this.

So my advice: Take your own advice and do the extra steps every evening/morning to store your twice-vandalized bike in the shed you already own. Or move.
Looks like these posts offer the best advice. ;)

What did the police tell you to do when you filed the first two police reports for your insurance vandalism claims?

What did the police tell you to do when you filed the first two police reports for your insurance vandalism claims?
Funny you ask.

Really nothing but when I called back to add the second time tithe report. They asked me if I saw someone do it. Since I didn't see someone do I think the wind blew it over, or if it just fell over on its own?

Guess the wind rang the doorbell the first time too, huh?

Been there, done this,

I've done a few security systems for large apartment complexes over the years. They save a lot of time and money getting knuckleheads to go away.

Camera systems can be a piece of cake to put in and you can get audio from the cameras as well even on the entry level systems. It's always enlightening to hear the employees and colleagues talking about you. Many of them will only record when there is activity, to use less recording space, and you can set them up to alert you when there is activity if you want. My favorite feature is when the doorbell rings it switches your TV to the camera at the door so you can see who it is. You could do that with any of the cameras, like the one aimed at your bike.

I can appreciate your not wanting to change your routine but it may have to happen. They certainly haven't changed theirs. If you put the bike out there again, all fixed up, they may think you haven't learned and do it again, with more gusto next time.

See if your insurance carriers will give you a discount for a surveillance system for the house and bike. I have gotten some sizable discounts. It may pay for itself over time even if it doesn't do anything else for you, but once you find knuckleheads are around, and doing damage, my experience is they will be back.

If you don't want to change your routine, and personally I wouldn't, I would install a surveillance system and get the bike alarm with the remote that alerts you, and keep it next to the bed along with pepper spray and a big baton flashlight that blinds the shit out of them when you point it at them, and knocks the shit out of them when you hit em with it.

Once you have a camera squarely focused on the bike, put a note on the seat saying.

"I see you have returned to the scene of the crime. Thank you. Now I know what you look like. I'm going to hunt you down like a dog and make you pay.

Thanks Again"

One other thing you can do is get a prop stand. It will make it very difficult to tip over. I think the pack jack axle version works best.

pack jack

Good luck and Happy Fishing

Yes quit farting around with cameras, chocks, fences, and chains. Use that $ for lumber and a commercial grade lock to expand the shed you already have. The few extra minites that it takes to put the bike away is more than made up for in the good nights sleep you will get knowing it's safe and sound.

I keep 5 bikes in a 12x 20 shed with no windows and 1 door, with a bullet proof lock. In addition to that, motion sensor flood lights, and a sign that reads "Protected by Smith & Wesson".

22 years and not 1 single incident. You know what they say "outta sight, outta mind". ;)

Funny you ask.

Really nothing but when I called back to add the second time tithe report. They asked me if I saw someone do it. Since I didn't see someone do I think the wind blew it over, or if it just fell over on its own?

Guess the wind rang the doorbell the first time too, huh?
That's exactly what happened to me when my plate was stolen. It was reported as lost because I couldn't remember seeing it on my bike the day before. Seeing as it was in the garage or I was on it other than that 1 day, I doubt the plate just hopped off the bike. He also told me they don't have the time or resources to check the camera footage for the camera that was pointed directly at my bike in the parking lot...despite me working in one of the lowest crime areas in the country. Heck, they got a news chopper out because of a gas bulge in the pipes under the street the other month.

Been there, done this,

I've done a few security systems for large apartment complexes over the years. They save a lot of time and money getting knuckleheads to go away.

Camera systems can be a piece of cake to put in and you can get audio from the cameras as well even on the entry level systems. It's always enlightening to hear the employees and colleagues talking about you. Many of them will only record when there is activity, to use less recording space, and you can set them up to alert you when there is activity if you want. My favorite feature is when the doorbell rings it switches your TV to the camera at the door so you can see who it is. You could do that with any of the cameras, like the one aimed at your bike.

I can appreciate your not wanting to change your routine but it may have to happen. They certainly haven't changed theirs. If you put the bike out there again, all fixed up, they may think you haven't learned and do it again, with more gusto next time.

See if your insurance carriers will give you a discount for a surveillance system for the house and bike. I have gotten some sizable discounts. It may pay for itself over time even if it doesn't do anything else for you, but once you find knuckleheads are around, and doing damage, my experience is they will be back.

If you don't want to change your routine, and personally I wouldn't, I would install a surveillance system and get the bike alarm with the remote that alerts you, and keep it next to the bed along with pepper spray and a big baton flashlight that blinds the shit out of them when you point it at them, and knocks the shit out of them when you hit em with it.

Once you have a camera squarely focused on the bike, put a note on the seat saying.

"I see you have returned to the scene of the crime. Thank you. Now I know what you look like. I'm going to hunt you down like a dog and make you pay.

Thanks Again"

One other thing you can do is get a prop stand. It will make it very difficult to tip over. I think the pack jack axle version works best.

pack jack

Good luck and Happy Fishing
This is bad advice. It is well known that in this country, threatning and/or assulting children and women will only result in a felony arrest for the male. I'm sure you've watched 'Cop's' and know what I'm talking about. Remember in America you're 'Guilty untill proven innocent' Don't ask me how I know, but I know this very well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The dog kennel/chain link fence is a good idea but I don't know that I have a suitable spot for it. Also can't imagine that the wife will go for having one parked out front.

I know I can't do anything physical to them and I have a indoor camera pointed out the window that records movement to the PC. It doesn't do a very good job at night but it was an extra a friend had so I can't really complain. I'm trying to combine the cameras visible deterrent with an additional physical deterrent like the wheel chock just to make it difficult for them.

The baxley chock is pricey but I like that I can lock the wheel cup in place easily so it can't just be rolled out of it and I haven't seen many others that can lock. The cyclegear chock looked very similar and could be an alternative.
First thing is to improve the lighting ... adding a dusk to dawn light and a motion light in combination. The dusk to dawn light will make someone think twice about how well they will be noticed, and if they still decide to approach the motion light will then activate and really light them up. Both are low cost options. I would also add a fake camera ($12) that has a blinking led pointing right at the bike ... those things look so damn real, you can't tell ... at least till you can put in a real one. You could accomplish all three for cheap and a couple hours work.

The big, mean, attacking dog idea is tempting but probably unwise in a city environment. But, I have found that even a tiny pooch has excellent ears and eyes and may notify you of prowlers the instant that they even think of messing with your stuff. A good animal seems to be able to predict someone who will do harm. Additionally, a deep, serious bark will communicate with the potential perp even though physical contact with the dog is prevented (no possibility of attack). Part of being man's best friend, you know.

A lot of my problems have been more easily managed with the help of good animals:

A good dog (for companionship and safety)

A good cat (for mice and gophers)

A good horse (for transportation, the FJR is a good modern version :lol: )

That's a nice chock but is pricey. Cycle Gear has this wheel chock on sale now for 50% off. Can also be bolted to the ground and has a provision for a lock to keep the bike secure.

click here
Don't get that POS. I got one, and ended up having to jack up the FJR and bang it off with a rubber mallet. The front tire "sank" really deep into it. I have a plain jane Michelin PR2, so I can't see why it happened. It seems to work ok on my SV-650 but it's REALLY hard to get the bike into it, especially compared to the Baxley.

I think I'm going to keep it out back till the punks…er…kids go back to school. Meanwhile I'm going to install one of these or very similar. https://scorpio.rlink.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=209

This may give me a warning that someone is near the bike in time to catch them in the act or call the police with a description. The warning sounds from the proximity sensors may also deter them. I liked the Scorpio because of the two way paging and RFID ease of use. We all know the less we have to do with gloved hands the better especially in the winter. One additional benefit is they make a plug in wiring harness for the FJR worth the $25 and completely reversible, possibility transferable to a different bike if needed.

Then get either the Baxley sport chock or Freestand to lock the bike up and in place.

https://www.ivieracing.com/website_2011_002.htm

Seems like I can lock the bike into the stand and with it bolted down should have any more tip overs. As far as retaliation to not being able to tip it over if they are pissed off or determined enough I can't stop that anyway. I can't prevent everything possible from happening to it. There is always a way around any security device and I feel this is a good combination of warning and prevention.

I know they are both pricey but I'd rather pay once for quality and continue to use it for years. The Freestand looks a lot tougher and visibly intimidating vs the sport chock. Says it made with stainless internals so it should hold up decent outside. If I can remember I'll post up on both products after installation and report on quality and performance. Thanks for all the suggestions.