Ventura Bike Pack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOPHER

Reaction score
While I wait for my '06 I'm trying to decide on a bag for the tail. I don't really want to go with a top box so I'm looking for a rack/bag combo. Gerauld's stuff looks really nice and I also came across these: www.ventura-bike.com

I did a search and surprisingly didn't come up with anything here.

So....anybody have any experience with these? I'm concerned about the quality of the bags. The site doesn't tell what material is used for the bags and I've never seen one so..................

Looks like a good system though. Comes with 2 bags and the rack included in the price I believe. And you can put the bag towards the pillion seat or towards the rear.

Looks like a pretty interesting system and the rack doesn't look to funky on the FJR. I didn't see any pricing on the site or was I just missing something? It seems to me that I have seen a couple of other companys that do the same type of thing....nelson-rigg maybe? Geraulds rack looks like the way to go....just need an '06 to fit one to...

I have one on my Bandit, I like it alot. You can turn it forward over the passenger seat or backward just by turning the rack on the "L" brackets. Someone on this list "Mcgiverd" just the rack to fit on the FJR without the "L" brackets , just a longer Bolt from the center of the OEM rack and fabed a "U" bracket with some rubber gasline to protect the paint. I did it as well and it works very good. B) Dwayne

Thanks everyone.

What is the bag material made of? I'm hoping it's something heavy like Denier. I've never had much luck with the thinner nylons......I have a set of Eclipse saddle bags that busted on the first long trip. Any busted stitches yet?

I'm wondering if the current model will fit my '06......guess we won't know till it gets here.

@ Gopher
Here's a clicky thingy to a thread on tailbags...

Clicky Thingy

Uh...........O.K. Not really anything in there about Ventura, but thanks anyway.

Found an old copy of Rider that did a review. They said the bags are made of 600 Kodra. I'll have to see what info I can find about that material.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Gopher
Here's a clicky thingy to a thread on tailbags...

Clicky Thingy

Uh...........O.K. Not really anything in there about Ventura, but thanks anyway.

Found an old copy of Rider that did a review. They said the bags are made of 600 Kodra. I'll have to see what info I can find about that material.
I think you'll find it's 600 denier Cordura, and new textile material that is easy to waterproof and is very durable.

My set has gone through several major rain showers and has not leaked one bit, all of the zips have over hangs and the main compartments seem to have some kind of rubberized, waterproof, coating on the inside.

I also opted for the half pack that zips up to the main pack giving me about 70 liters of packing space, more than enough for a 2 week trip to Kalifornication and back to Florida last year.

2 push together clips secure it on to the rack and it takes a second or so to take the bag off the bike and carry it in to wherever.

By the way, I beleive the company is Australian and imports directly to it's distributors in the USA, with no middleman wholesaler.

Skippy

Thanks Skippy. Nobody seems to have anything bad to say...... so to the top of the list it goes.

I'm thinking the Ventura, with a Cortech Super Mini tank-bag, and the stock hard bags should be enough for my first 9 day trip this spring.

The Koran, now available in 2 ply
That's funny.

I have the Tourmaster Mini Magnetic tank bag for short trips, and the Tourmaster triple decker for longer ones.

And thanks for noticing the Sig. ;)

Skippy

+1 on comments from Banditat1200. I had a leftover set of short and tall Ventura racks from BMW R1100RS that weren't getting used since I bought the FJR. Did the simple rear rack bolt tiedown he describes and now use both racks; the Ventura bag I have fits over the tall rack. Used them on several trips with good results, so for a zero cost farkle it can't be beat (assuming you already have the whole kit!). I'll post pictures of the mod if anyone would like to see them.

Photos of Ventura Pack Rack originally purchased for BMW R1100RS mounted on FJR.

Curved steel bracket formed to match contours of the Ventura cross braces and using longer bolt to tie rack down. To be sure that the rack doesn't come loose from the single mounting bolt, I usually zip tie the Ventura rack to the stock FJR rack with three big ties.

IMG_4477.jpg

Side view of just the rack.

IMG_4479.jpg

Ventura Pack mounted so that the pack slips down over the vertical spar and rests on the rear portion of the rack.

Img_4480.jpg

Rear view of above.

IMG_4482.jpg

Side view with Ventura Pack reversed so that the pack slips down and rests on the rear seat. In this case I have the Smuggler Trunk installed, so you just have to take my word for it that it rests on rear portion of rear seat. One uses this option if one has no passenger, freeing up a bit more room for a light duffle bag on the rack.

Img_4483.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics TWILKIN650. Looks really nice, I like that smuggler too if I didn't usually carry a passenger.

Is the rack strong enough for a passenger to lean against? I think Ventura says no but they are probably just covering themselves legally.

I hope my bike gets here soon........shoping for farkles without the bike just isn't the same.

Gopher, for the Ventura system that mounts to the subframe, I'd agree that I might be used as a backrest. For the FJR mod that I show, maybe not, as the rack is held in place by one bolt. Probably strong enough for use as a duffle rack, but not for a back rest. See Garauld's back rest systems in For Sale section; they are stout enough IMO.

That be the way Twilkin650, I just made a little fancier "U" bracket. But I would not lean on it with to much weight Gopher. Even with the ventura "L" brackets. I also like the smuggler because I never ride two up, is that the corbin seat as well? I would own one but I just cant get myself to spend 7 bananas on one!! Dwayne in NH

Banditat1200, nope, that's the stock front seat with the Corbin Smuggler. I'd never reverse the Ventura Pack to the front to travel with the Corbin, though, as it would scratch the Corbin. I'd use the stock rear seat for that setup; just wanted to show how it would reverse if you wanted to do so.