• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

VERY Good Deal on Metzelers... $156.94 for a set.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe more impo'tant than the delivery time is what these damn Chinese tires ride like when you get them on.

I put a very inexpensive Continental tire (another "German" brand, not necessarily made in Germany) and was sorry that I had within 500 miles.

Maybe it's just me, but I like going with a known quantity commodity, regardless of the price savings. I'll gladly pay a few shekels more for the "security" of knowing the tire won't be a POS as I head out on a 5-6k mile adventure. I'm as cheap frugal as they come, even among Yankees, but part of the secret formula is understanding "good value".

If these Metz tires even qualify in the "good" category, then they will be a great value at their price. But if these Chinese tires handle like a soggy egg roll... well they won't be worth thosee savings. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it.

* Disclaimer - I am not an anti-Asian manufacturer elitist. I regularly run Shinko (Korean) brand tires on my V-strom, and they are the magical balance of performance vs value for me on that particular bike. That's because of experience, and the experiences of others before me. I don't think I'd be happy with a Shinko level of performance on my FJR. It's a more demanding environmet on our big fat ST bikes. But that';s just me, and you are you. And dat's a good thing, eh?
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to get some PR4's but with this deal, I went for these. Just ordered tonight. The website noted that the front was in stock (ready for pickup) and the rear had to be shipped.

^^^^ What he said.

They're almost so cheap as to be disposable. To go a half-step further than the Candy Butt posting above,

​I, Uncle Hud, do hereby solemnly swear that if these Metzelers turn out to be useless, I will digitally record me performing a rear-tire burnout, and will submit it to the FJRForum for analysis, entertainment, and scoring by my fellow members.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are still Metzelers and still should be under the same quality control. Looks like they are just blowing out some slightly older inventory at a great price. But like others have said, not a big risk at that price.

On a sidenote (and to not hi-jack the thread), I just bought some Bridgestone T30 Evo's that after the $50 rebate the set came to $192. They were dated around 35th week of 2015. Will be a while before these need mounting so no review soon.

I've used a set of Z6s on my '08 FJR and thought they were fine. I will be ordering a set of these for when my new '16's Bridgestones wear out.

My front arrived promptly (2-3 days?). Manufactured the 36th week of 2015 from China. I have a tracking number for the rear that I expect on Monday.
Maybe not top shelf but after talking with an '05 owner today at Iron Pony who said he's paying $500 for Michelins front and back, I'm happy. I'm so glad the Internet taught me how to spoon my own on.
Rear arrived today. 39th week of 2014 from China. Credit card statement looks correct.
Same here and with same born on dating!
rolleyes.gif

Up here the Z6 fronts have been C$98 forever...... there are other Z6 choices for OEM spec.. more money and likely made in Gemany... I've had a few over the years, they are fine IMHO.

As for the rear it is fine too, good grip, decent wear, start to get a little noisy early which really is my only complaint (tread pattern is the cause). Neither will last as long as a PR2. But, you guys let us know what you think after you wear them out.......

Up here the Z6 fronts have been C$98 forever...... there are other Z6 choices for OEM spec.. more money and likely made in Gemany... I've had a few over the years, they are fine IMHO.As for the rear it is fine too, good grip, decent wear, start to get a little noisy early which really is my only complaint (tread pattern is the cause). Neither will last as long as a PR2. But, you guys let us know what you think after you wear them out.......
Petes have the combo on for $223, PR4's $355 and PR4GT's $362

I can usually get about 15Km out of set of PR's. That puts them at .023 and .024 per km

If the Z6's are good for 10Km, not unreasonable given the my stockers went 13K, that puts them at .022.

I'd rather spend the the money on a known entity.

The really stupid bit is tires are more expensive than gas per mile if you don't buy them on sale in Canada!

I just got a set of Bridgestone T30GTs for $254 shipped from Jake Wilson. The rear is a 190/55/17. If the Metzlers had been available in that size, I would have sprung, but for $100 more, I got the size I want and a tire I don't have any complaints about. AND, I got to support Jakes Wilson!

Mail from the Chapsters- bolding my work.

Dear Don,

Unfortunatley we hade more orders for these tires than we had inventory to fill. We have more on order with our vendor, however they are also out of stock and not expecting to receive the next shipment until the end of the month. Currently they are on a temporary back order for about 3 weeks. You have not been charged fro the rear tire yet as we only charge for the items once they ship.

Chaparral Motorsports

BTW, Don't take the survey.

The 100 dollar 'Thank You' award is for stupid magazine subscriptions that automagically enroll you when the 'reward' period ends. It's a total sham. Getting you name off 'the list' takes an act of morbid stubborness.
DAMHIK

Ordered a set today -- so they're still in stock. (They've sold at least a dozen sets to us!)
Have been very happy with the Metzeler Roadtec 01s currently on the bike. We'll see how the Z06s stand up to daily commuting in the city. The upcoming BMRx, about 2,000 miles, will likely see the end of the Roadtec 01s.
The Z6 were OEM on my bike. It's hard to compare of course but with my normal riding here in NC/SC, averaging about 42 mpg overall, the rear lasted 6200 miles and the front 8500.

Status
Not open for further replies.