vibration reduction for photo equipment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benhur

Reaction score
Dear All,

Thought I would pick your brain guys on the following topic.

My other addiction is photography and recently I have been forced to leave my kit at home when biking because of fear that the engine vibrations on a motorcycle could damage the kit.

what advice can you give on vibration reduction. I am thinking of the following points

1. tank bag vs top box. On a V twin, i realised that the tank was the quietest place on the bike, but what can you guys tell me on the FJR...I do know that the topbox mounting plate on the yama top box rests on rubber vibration dampers

2. creating some sort of cushion under the equipment which has different densities of material. I was thinking of a combination of a layer of foam/rubber/bubble wrap

if there is anyone out there who is an engineer or who has some sort of expertise on these matters, I would appreciate any sort of input.

R.

I don't think it's a concern but if you're worried about it you could store your camera equipment in a tank bag. The tank is isolation mounted and is the area of least vibration on an FJR. But, I've carried DSLR and lenses in my rear top case for years and never had an issue. I used to hard mount a DSLR for video to the bike so the camera wouldn't flop around and I could use lens stabilization. Vibration eventually broke the lens stabilizer but this was clearly me abusing the equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep my equipment in a reasonably padded bag, made by Lowepro. I chose one only just big enough to take my camera, but they do several sizes. It either goes in my tank-bag, or if I don't have my tank-bag on, I just put in my side bag. Vibration has never worried me (or my camera). It's sufficiently padded to take out any reasonable vibration (and the odd knock).

(Click on image for larger view)

A few more pictures here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than carrying the equipment on you which is damaging to the body in a get-off I like to use the bag in a bag idea. A camera holster or pouch inside the tank bag lets things wiggle around but reduces the sharp hits and vibrations of the terrain. Packing it all away in a Pelican style box is great protection but also insures it won't get used much.

Benhur,

I use the Oxford Sports tank bag. I carry a full frame DSLR with a 24-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8 (without hoods) and a full size flash. I use pads from one of my Lowe Pro camera bag as dividers. The Oxford is great because it turns into a back pack so there is lots of padding on the bottom of the tank bag. I have rode 50+ thousand km with no problems on the FJR. Talking to the Nikon reps about carry gear on the motorcycle they told me to check all the screws on the camera and lenses because the vibration can cause them to loosen.

Gmann

lightboxphotography.net

Latest posts