Volcano Ride 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, just a little FYI. A friend and I did this ride about 3 weeks ago and the road was BAD!!! Really Bad!!! I'm talking flatten the pipe's on the bottom of my buddies Ducati ST3 bad. Kidney beating, suspension testing, nut busting bumps and dips in the road. In addition, the road to Windy Ridge had a ton of sand on it the last mile or so in. Just be careful is all I'm saying. I won't be riding the road from Carson to Windy Ridge down to Randle until they do something to improve the road.
Just my opinion...
Bunch of pussie PNW FJR riders! :rofl:

Ok guys, just a little FYI. A friend and I did this ride about 3 weeks ago and the road was BAD!!! Really Bad!!! I'm talking flatten the pipe's on the bottom of my buddies Ducati ST3 bad. Kidney beating, suspension testing, nut busting bumps and dips in the road. In addition, the road to Windy Ridge had a ton of sand on it the last mile or so in. Just be careful is all I'm saying. I won't be riding the road from Carson to Windy Ridge down to Randle until they do something to improve the road.
Just my opinion...
What's your point? It's always been that way. Or washed out. Maybe you need a trip to GP Suspension?

Bump:

Thanks you guys for the different points of view regarding the roads. I have been up to Windy Ridge twice this summer and think that the roads are as good or better then they were three years ago. The Forest Service has been making repairs and most of these have improved the conditions while some done three years ago actually made the ride worse. The post on riding this road by Soundrider should be read and noted as you need to make adjustments and ride the road for what it is. You will get much more out of the ride and may just find those really good sections where you can lean from edge to edge.

Here are a few hints:

Riding along Swift Res. You will experience some patchwork done three years ago. You will hit the patch with what feels like you just hit a 2 inch lift and come off the patch like it was a 3 inch drop. Both hurt. You may ride around some of these but some cover both lanes. Best to get your butt off the seat at both ends of the patch. Watch for the patches in the corners. This same type of patch also appears on FR25 near FR99, with some in 25mph corners. Just be careful.

From Randle you may find the ride okay, but returning to Randle on FR25 is a killer in the north bound lane, so you might find yourself in the southbound lane a lot.

When you see a section or road that has dropped down, ride around it. Sometimes it isn't a problem and you can ride over the sunken section. Your call, just take note when it is good and when it isn't and use your good judgment.

Note that the 20mph at the ends of the bridges means to slow down. From experience, these need a little more respect then other 20mph corners.

Once on FR99 you will experience a better road. Blind corners can have sand and maybe gravel, but this late in the season, most likely not. Once you go past Bear Meadows, about half way up to Windy Ridge you will break out of the trees and get into the blast zone. At about 6 miles to WR you will start seeing more sand and gravel on the road. It should be white or light in color and easily seen. If it is not new, there will be two tracks to ride through. If you are riding fast, just make sure your line can be adjusted to one of these tracks.

Three are a couple sinkholes on FR99 near the top, but they are marked and are also in the down lane, so you can see them as you go up the hill.

Hope this helps and looking forward to meeting up at Windy Ridge. One year we encountered over 50 VFR's doing the same. Maybe we could match that number one of these years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo Ken,

I'll be there! The road sounds like it always is... A PNW mountain road subject to PNW weather. It's still one of the best rides in the world. Unending twisties, amazing scenery of forests and volcanic activity that are hardly the stuff most of us get to see every day. There are, indeed, a few bumps, all part of the deal. It's a road, not a prepared race track. Snow-sure, its a mountain! It seems like every year I get stopped by the snow gate the first time I go up there. And, that's because I usually can't wait.

What you don't get to see on the way up, you get to see on the way down. I've made this ride lots of time, on several different bikes, I have never tired of it.

This is one of the rides I always try to take visiting motorcyclists to experience. I've never had one be disappointed. The biggest problem I have is remembering to stop from time to time to savor the views. It's far to easy to get caught up in the rhythm of the road and just keep riding. Bumps and all, this is one of those that can lure you into approaching the fun tax zone.

I hope to see you all there.

Yo Ken,
I'll be there! The road sounds like it always is... A PNW mountain road subject to PNW weather. It's still one of the best rides in the world. Unending twisties, amazing scenery of forests and volcanic activity that are hardly the stuff most of us get to see every day. There are, indeed, a few bumps, all part of the deal. It's a road, not a prepared race track. Snow-sure, its a mountain! It seems like every year I get stopped by the snow gate the first time I go up there. And, that's because I usually can't wait.

What you don't get to see on the way up, you get to see on the way down. I've made this ride lots of time, on several different bikes, I have never tired of it.

This is one of the rides I always try to take visiting motorcyclists to experience. I've never had one be disappointed. The biggest problem I have is remembering to stop from time to time to savor the views. It's far to easy to get caught up in the rhythm of the road and just keep riding. Bumps and all, this is one of those that can lure you into approaching the fun tax zone.

I hope to see you all there.
Lets meet up for the ride up.

Was just up there yesterday. Not as windy as usual. Nice day. See you in September

Ken,
Love to meet and ride up with you. Lets set a time and place.
Lets meet at the Chevron in Washougal, and leave there at 9:00am. We can go out 14 to Carson and up Wind River Rd and Meadow Creek, with a brief stop at McClellen View Point, etc.

Ken,
Love to meet and ride up with you. Lets set a time and place.
Lets meet at the Chevron in Washougal, and leave there at 9:00am. We can go out 14 to Carson and up Wind River Rd and Meadow Creek, with a brief stop at McClellen View Point, etc.

I'll be there. Looking forward to riding with you...

I'm riding down to SF next Wednesday, for a meeting on Friday. I'll stay the weekend to enjoy the city with friends (that I work with in the electric motorcycle and drive train biz). I'll be back in plenty of time for the Volcano ride. Always one of my favorites. The NW is truly beautiful and dramatic... and made for motorcyclists... frost heaves, occasional rain and snow not withstanding.

it can't be as bad as the road to the Lost Coast (Matole Road) can it?
R
NO, it cannot. Rode the Matole Road this past July, dinner in Petrolina, camped at Matole Beach. Gorgeous scenery, gorgeous weather, lousy road, but perfectly ridable with care. It's been a few years since I've been to Windy Ridge, but there is no way that its going to be as bad as Matole Road.

Bumping to the top. The weather is going to be excellent. :D And a dry week to make the roads dry on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting up with Victor on the ride up and the rest of you at the top. Totally want you all to have a great ride on Saturday, going and comming. I have been warming up my tires in Colorado, NM and Utah this past weekend and will be wearing off more of the tread Saturday.

If you haven't noted that you are coming, please post up.

Won't make it this year. Got to put teh wife's Subaru back together. Broke the tensioner bolt for the timing belt. Had to replace the valves on both heads.

Sadly, I won't make it either. Mandatory Sat work has been implemented for two weeks each month and the 25th is one of them. Piss poor management decision, imho, but I'm stuck with it.

Just my opinion...
I road NF25 and then into Windy Ridge on NF99 on the Labour Day on the old suspension while on my way to GP Suspension. I then rode NF25 south to north on my way to WCR. It was an excellent test for my paddle shifting Gen2's new legs. Could the roads be better? Yeah but I didn't need my WR450F to deal with the bumps either. It's a throttle, not an on-off switch. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion...
I road NF25 and then into Windy Ridge on NF99 on the Labour Day on the old suspension while on my way to GP Suspension. I then rode NF25 south to north on my way to WCR. It was an excellent test for my paddle shifting Gen2's new legs. Could the roads be better? Yeah but I didn't need my WR450F to deal with the bumps either. It's a throttle, not an on-off switch. :rolleyes:
Agreed, it is not a race track. The road has it's rough spots, adjust your riding and bike accordingly. Still a lot of fun and great scenery.

Bumping to the top. The weather is going to be excellent. :D And a dry week to make the roads dry on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting up with Victor on the ride up and the rest of you at the top. Totally want you all to have a great ride on Saturday, going and comming. I have been warming up my tires in Colorado, NM and Utah this past weekend and will be wearing off more of the tread Saturday.

If you haven't noted that you are coming, please post up.
Me too, warmed up by way of PDX to SFO and back. Took a short cut back through Yosemite, north around Tahoe, further north to Crater Lake, and back to PDX. I still have enough tread to do the Volcano ride. The weather gurus seem to be working for us and the weather so far looks to be "More sun than clouds." Sounds like Fall in the NW.

During my recent ride I managed to collect a high performance award from the ever diligent OR State Patrol, so I am going to follow Ken (the owner of a radar detecter) up and back...

I look forward to the ride as always, and to seeing all who are brave enough to test this treacherous road (just a little joke, with normal reasonable care, this is a very enjoyable ride).

Me too. Warmed up in July with a ride to northern California including Matole Road between Ferndale and Petrolia, as discussed above. Kept warm with a daily commute along Orville Road, repaved since it received "twisted edge" status in Destination Highways WA. Will stretch out with a run to Port Townsend and back tomorrow. See you Saturday!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts