Volcano Ride II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Sorry, but I have a golf tournement on the 19th and won't be able to make it. Being that this is a local event, we should do it twice a year. The location is perfect for for both Portland and Seattle areas and also the Tri Cities. I have a trip to Canada on the 12th-13th, golf on the 19th, and The Gather at Cresent Lake on the 26-27, but I am wide open in September and October. October is a great time to do this ride as long as it is before the 10th or so.
I usually do this ride around August 19th, as this is a time to pick huckleberries. You need to allow at least 2 hours of picking time to get a quart of goodies. Make sure you bring a container to do so. The huckleberries are pretty good just south of Wakepish 3.9 miles. Take the gravel road about 1/4 mile to the east and park it, that way you can pretty much leave the gear on the bike and no one will see it.

Have a great time and if any of you want to ride these roads any other time, I'm usually up for it. :yahoo:
Sorry you won't make it!

Mmmmm... huckleberries :dribble:

Assuming I can get out of bed at decent time, I plan to meet you guys at the ridge.

Anybody have an estimated riding time from Seattle to Windy Ridge?

Adam

Anybody have an estimated riding time from Seattle to Windy Ridge?
Shortest route (through Tacoma then down 7 through Spanaway) is 140 miles, but after having done it maybe twenty times, I'd suggest:

Maple Valley > Enumclaw > Electron > Eatonville > Elbe > Morton > Randle

which is maybe fifteen miles longer but much more tolerable. I'd allow 3-3.5 hours. Be sure to gas at Randle.

Or from Enumclaw, you can loop around the east side of Rainier, but this is considerably longer and traffic is usually heavy. And if there is any precipitation whatsoever in the valleys, you'll get hammered at Chinook pass which seems to collect weather and is always cold.

Fastest is probably going down I-5 to cut across on 12 just S of Chehalis, but this is just a drone.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody coming from the PDX direction want to meet up someplace?

Do breakfast before heading out?

Hell yes, pick a time and place.Bill

How does the Shari's on Airport Way sound? 8am?

It has easy access to 205 for us to jump up to 14 in Washington and head east.

From my Garmin maps, it looks like if you're coming up 205N, you'd take exit 24B, and you'd kind of be past the Shari's (on your left), so you might have to hang a U-turn at the next light to get back to it....

Let me know if the time and place work. If not, we'll figure something more convenient out.

Jeff

I'll see if I can sum it up.....

Only three of us managed to show up at the summit, FJRJeff, 650 and me. Later, I did a return trip to the summit after the three of us split up, met snowmonkey and his lovely SO and a '06 AE with Steve at the controls. Steve is the organizer of the Hells Canyon Rally and a very nice guy to talk to.

Roads were OK if a little on the bumpy and dirty side. There were a lot of sport bikes coming and going, and even the new Kawi 1400. H-D's were of course the order of the day doing their 20 mph dash to the top of the mountain.

Although I have seen St. Helens several times since the blast, it is worth the return trip.

FJRJeff has some pics, my digital was still packed and MIA from the recent move.

Cheers,

--G

I'll see if I can sum it up.....
Only three of us managed to show up at the summit, FJRJeff, 650 and me. Later, I did a return trip to the summit after the three of us split up, met snowmonkey and his lovely SO and a '06 AE with Steve at the controls. Steve is the organizer of the Hells Canyon Rally and a very nice guy to talk to.
I know Steve, we are both members of the Rose City Motorcycle Club, here in Portland. I think there are 7 members that now own FJRs. I also made the Hells Canyon Rally thing.

Thanks for the update. Look forward to seeing you in the Spring for the St. Helens VR-3 Ride.

Ken Hattan