Want a Black Cherry AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophog

Reaction score
I do not yet own a new FJR because I want a 07 Silver/gray A ...not AE. I got to thinking that all I would need to do is find someone with an AE that would rather have Black Cherry and we would swap panels, tanks, bags, etc. ? Is there any reason why this would not work? I sent an email describing this proposition to every Yamaha dealer in my vicinity in hopes I might get lucky. Nothing against Black Cherry ...I just like the gray better and all my existing gear is gray/blue (gear from Hayabusa).

If there is someone out there in the NW that's looking to buy a new 07 AE and would rather have black cherry please let me know :)

Interesting idea there top., pretty certain here that your swap would work as all that tupperware is identical cept for the colours. Good luck in your search...seems to me the idea will be fetching to more than just 1 or 2!!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

I remember there was a post about a dealer back east (?) that did this on a couple 06's for a customer. Maybe someone with a better memory can post a link.

Freedom Cycle in Concord, NH has been swapping body panels for customers. Freedom says that it is a royal pain in the ass and takes several hours longer than what they expected so they have stopped doing the swaps. They said it took an experienced mechanic ~10 hrs with the nose and tail being particularly difficult. Direct link to pictures of now blue AE.

It can be done but a professional has certified it as a tough job.

Edited 3 minutes after Rogue posted: I believe I know who it was....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed the swap would be that big of a pain :( That doesn't sound good. I guess one would be faced with the same delimia if they wanted to have one custom painted. I thought the swap would be a simple screw/bolt removal and unclip harnesses. Guess not.

Changing the Tupperware isn't impossible, a number of Forumembers have had all the plastic off and survived. Just don't plan to do the Tupperware swap in the morning and go for a ride that afternoon. Plan in advance, take notes and keep track of the various nuts, bolts, screws, plastic rivets (2 sizes), plastic Phillips head rivets (2 sizes), Allen head screws (in 2 sizes and 3 styles), plastic washers, clips, connectors....

People,

Having just got done stripping and then reskinning my 06A a couple weeks ago, I can say it's VERY easy, especially the nose (if you have a brain). The whole front subassembly comes off with 3 bolts once you get a couple pieces moved aside and that front cowling then comes off in under a half hour. Whatever wrench was whining about time just dind't want to do it anymore, because I think the FJR is an easy bike to strip and reskin.

If anyone in CA wants it done, come down to San Diego and I'll do it in half a day for $100. Seriously, it's not hard and requires ony a few basic tools.

Good info, thanks! Salem, OR to SD is about 1100 miles ...hmmm :)

People,
Having just got done stripping and then reskinning my 06A a couple weeks ago, I can say it's VERY easy, especially the nose (if you have a brain). The whole front subassembly comes off with 3 bolts once you get a couple pieces moved aside and that front cowling then comes off in under a half hour. Whatever wrench was whining about time just dind't want to do it anymore, because I think the FJR is an easy bike to strip and reskin.

If anyone in CA wants it done, come down to San Diego and I'll do it in half a day for $100. Seriously, it's not hard and requires ony a few basic tools.

I do not yet own a new FJR because I want a 07 Silver/gray A ...not AE.
Now there's a guy with some taste. Not sure why so many think it's a good idea to color a vehicle with something that would look better on a woman's fingernails. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I found a dealer willing to put the Cerulean Silver (sp?) off a new 06 AE on a 07 non-AE for MSRP $13,799.00. That would be OTD as we don't have sales tax in Oregon and he said they don't charge shipping/setup fee. Is that a decent deal considering the color swap?

Sounds like a good deal to me, you are getting what you want, essentially a ‘custom’ (non factory) motorcycle. IMO, you couldn’t buy a new bike at the best price in the USA and get it painted the color you want for less $$$. Even though we have one or two Forum members that can swap all the body panels in no time flat I’m pretty sure it is going to take a dealer no less than 6-8 hrs to make the changes. Two bikes have to have the panels swapped, not just one, then the dealer has to find a buyer for the donor that is left over.

Apparently they've had the silver AE on the floor for a while and they want to swap colors to see if it may spark a sell. They are willing to do the swap without a buyer already lined up on the 06 AE.

People,
Having just got done stripping and then reskinning my 06A a couple weeks ago, I can say it's VERY easy, especially the nose (if you have a brain).
Ahh Haa! That's why I had trouble doing it.

I found a dealer willing to put the Cerulean Silver (sp?) off a new 06 AE on a 07 non-AE for MSRP $13,799.00. That would be OTD as we don't have sales tax in Oregon and he said they don't charge shipping/setup fee. Is that a decent deal considering the color swap?
I would do it. I wish I would have thought about trying this when I picked up a BC.

I have always liked the Silver the best.

Whereas in Australia....you get the choice of

1.) Red Sky (your cherry black)

2.) Cerulean Silver

3.) The best of all......Ocean Depth (Blue)

...all with stripes!

We are blessed!

Whereas in Australia....you get the choice of 1.) Red Sky (your cherry black)

2.) Cerulean Silver

3.) The best of all......Ocean Depth (Blue)

...all with stripes!

We are blessed!

Yes we are blessed and the Blue still looks the best ,unfortunatly the price sucks the best I can get so far is $ 20,500 plus registration etc that's US $ 16,600 . That's why I am looking at going to the states and getting mine

I just returned from the dealer. The *real* deal is that they want $13,799 for the bike + $350 to do the swap. The salesman said he talked to the guys in the shop, etc. and they figured a day (10 hours) to do the swap (both bikes). Shop labor is $70/hr and he would split the swap cost with me so I'd pay 5 hours. The OTD price would be $14,149 + license/reg. for a silver non-AE 2007. Now I just need to decide if the extra $$$ and paying MSRP is worth it. I'm ok with the $350 to do the swap since this is not a common thing. Is paying MSRP common or do most dealers come down some?

Tophog,

Most dealers will be at least $500 below MSRP both the A and AE models. If your dealer is asking list +, check out D & H Cycles in Alabama (search this forum for info on D & H) and they could ship the bike to you for less than your dealer is asking OTD! The $350 for the swap at bad but, I would use it as a bargaining tool in your negations, :glare: after all the '06 AE has been sitting there for awhile.... hasn't it? :clapping: Hell, deal with him on the AE and see if he'll give it to you for the '07-A price plus a discount?? Can't hurt to deal. You could get the color you want at aprice you like and be in the clutchless club to boot! I have a '06 AE and love it, I don't miss the clutch lever at all!

Good luck!