Waterpump leak, engine overheating

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that explains a lot. When I parked the bike the evening I got it back from Yamaha the level in the reservoir was at the higher mark. Next morning it was below the lower one. No signs of leak. So the cool-down-vacuum did its job and filled the system properly.

If the thermostat were stuck open the engine would take a much longer time to come up to temperature. Also when riding along the temp would drop below the normal level as air is blown through the radiator, and you would see that on the gauge. If it seems to warm up OK and hold at the normal 3 bars while riding I wouldn't mess with the thermostat.

Many thanks, FredW. Thats the best I could do. Yes, I have been riding the whole day today at around 30 C and in twisties on a 3 rd gear and temp has been around middle or +2 dots, so everything seems all righty.

Ok, so now, while back home, as promised, I post few pics of the culprit of the waterpump failure.

Here it is in 2 pieces. Nothing visibly wrong with it except some strange corrosion on the rubber housing in the left. I guess this is the part that sits on the shaft.

JKUu4Om.jpg

ZmGefO6.jpg

I left the bike to the dealership waiting for the spare parts and they had already assembled it by the time I got back there. Still managed to take some photos before it was all done.

fmPNmMt.jpg

v8vuEZY.jpg

Claus, a very firendly and helpful tech did his job fast and professionally. The shop itself is one of the cleanest I've ever seen...

gZFzF5M.jpg

Many thanks to Bruun Larsen Motorcykler in Odense, Denamark, for saving my holidays and biking trip!

3h5yIWo.jpg

OK Enn I am happy to learn your FJR is back to good health. As a beer hunter, how was the local beer while awaiting the parts?? Denmark is known for some fine ales!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer was great, we did have few locally brewed pints on the townhall square in Odense. The only problem- it is damn expensive there. But then it also tasted very valuable...