We Lost A Great Friend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one that will make you cry or smile, depending..
97-DoublebirdTWNandOvale.jpg
It's the first one, Don. It's the first one.

Who could have known how incredibly poignant that image would become? Oh well, may as well start just about any Monday with tears.

With love, FYYFFs!

Just got back from a weekend away and opened a mail from Jill (SP) telling me of this sad news.

TWN was one of the guys on here who's comments I always enjoyed. He was always witty and well informed. His sense of humour always came through and many of his wickedly dry quips made me laugh out loud.

My wife & I send our deepest sympathies to his family and friends, and to all on this forum who kenw him as I did, through the computer screen, and looked forward to his comments.

RIP Tim.

Graham & Sue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out the sad news this A.M. Never got to meet Tim but felt as if I new at least a part of what made him so beloved by many. One things for sure, this place will never be the same without him. Godspeed Tim.........

I can't believe this. I'm out of town for the weekend and come back to find this out. Rest in Peace brother.

jim

Wow! I talked with Tim a few times at WFO and NAFO and was just starting to get to know him. I'm still letting this awful news sink in.

Iggy, thank you for letting us know. I know it must have been difficult to make that first post.

All,

A few thoughts have occurred to me, repeatedly, over the weekend. I feel a need for some sort of gesture on behalf of the Forum, itself, for Tim Bates. Here are a few thoughts, none of which I have any particular attachment to, but which I reveal to get the ball rolling.

1. Retire Tim's favorite emoticon, forever.

2. Retire the post count 11,031, such that this Forum, like a hotel and its 13th floor, simply skips that number evermore.

3. Rename NAFO, which Tim both first named and organized, The Two Wheel Nut.

4. ?

5. ?

N. ?

I like #3 the best. The others would lose their meaning and new people wouldn't even notice. What better way to remember Tim than the event he helped get started.

Was out of town and touch for the past few days and came home to find that Tim had passed. I always enjoyed his sarcastic and pointed remarks. He was a great MC at NAFO. He will be missed. Rest in Peace Tim.... Rich

I agree, something needs to be memorialized in Tim's name. I have no problem with naming the National Meet in honor of him.

If there are other suggestions, I'm open to seeing them in addition to the ones already listed.

Thanks Ari, for starting this.

I'm sure there are many more suggestions out there.

I agree, something needs to be memorialized in Tim's name. I have no problem with naming the National Meet in honor of him.
If there are other suggestions, I'm open to seeing them in addition to the ones already listed.

Thanks Ari, for starting this.

I'm sure there are many more suggestions out there.
I was thinking that one week out of the year we would all adopt one of Tim's avatars, ala Scab.

I like the idea of calling it "The Two Wheel Nut."

I also had the though that Tim's favorite emoticon could be named TWN, so that anytime someone wants to put it into a thread they would click on "TWN" instead of the current designation.

My condolences to TWN's friends and family. No one could turn the double bird into a virtual group hug like Tim. He'll be sorely missed by many he never knew, a legacy few can claim. Rest in peace brother.

I have to say that BOTH ideas, (naming the event after him... AND ... the TWN emoticon) are both fantastic ideas. The event name would signify the respect he earned as a man, a rider, a forum member and as an event coordinator... and the icon would be a clever way that he could keep showing up when you least expect it.

If I had a legacy that made people chuckle each time it popped up, heck, I'd be smiling, wherever I was.

C

I also had the though that Tim's favorite emoticon could be named TWN, so that anytime someone wants to put it into a thread they would click on "TWN" instead of the current designation.
+1 :clapping:

All,
A few thoughts have occurred to me, repeatedly, over the weekend. I feel a need for some sort of gesture on behalf of the Forum, itself, for Tim Bates. Here are a few thoughts, none of which I have any particular attachment to, but which I reveal to get the ball rolling.

1. Retire Tim's favorite emoticon, forever.

2. Retire the post count 11,031, such that this Forum, like a hotel and its 13th floor, simply skips that number evermore.

3. Rename NAFO, which Tim both first named and organized, The Two Wheel Nut.

4. ?

5. ?

N. ?
Excellent Ari,let me throw this out see what happens. I see that Tim was member number 10 on this forum, which in my mind makes him one of the founders of this board.

4. What would it be to add/incorporate a founders day gathering, maybe in conjunction with one of the regional meets, and have it float to different regions from year to year.

It's an incomplete thought, anyone want to play with it.

+1 :clapping:

Or we could call NAFO . . . . . . Two Wheel Nut's Party.

:smilingsmiley:

Or we could call NAFO . . . . . . Two Wheel Nut's Party.
:smilingsmiley:
Hmmm.....

It's Monday and the creativity was appearantly drowned by the libations from my high school reunion over the weekend, but this makes me think that maybe we could do something along the lines of the Cannonball Baker Sea To Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash.

Maybe?

Hell, I dunno.

I really enjoyed TWN's posts, though. Bummer.

WOW! :eek:

World's a little smaller now.

World's a little meaner now.

World's a little less fun now.

It was good to have met Tim at NAFO and to have shook his hand.

At NAFO, it was Tim who announced the losses of our friends over the last year, and his thoughtful and gentle words for us to remember them all.

RIP my new friend! it was an honor to have met you.

:fuck: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.