Well I Did It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostviking

Reaction score
Just brought home my new Black Cherry FJR. All I can say is Wow. Or Holy S--t Batman what a nice bike.

This was my first ride on an FJR. Wish I had done this sooner.

How can anyone not like this bike. Smooth, stable, stupid fast. Nice sound, but not obnoxious.

I have been on BMWs for quite some time. But I have to say this thing rocks. Not only the big stuff but the little stuff as well.

Very nice dash. The seat comes off, and goes on nicely. You can see out of the mirrors. Easy access to the oil filter. I can actually reach the ground.

I ripped off a quick 50 miles on the ride home. Very, Very, nice. I am no expert with this bike yet. But for my 5'8" self, it fits very nicely.

More to come when I calm down. enough to think straight. I have owned at least 11 rode bikes, and I can tell you I never had this much fun on the ride home.

Woo Hoo,

Walt,

What bike are you on? Can't be an FJR. you haven't complained about the throttle stiffness, the herky jerky throttle response, the whistling windshield, the stuck ignition switch, the bad stock seat, soft paint job, tight clutch, yada yada yada.

What bike are you on? Can't be an FJR. you haven't complained about the throttle stiffness, the herky jerky throttle response, the whistling windshield, the stuck ignition switch, the bad stock seat, soft paint job, tight clutch, yada yada yada.
You forgot 6th gear too! :)

congrats on the new bike you are gonna love it! BTW, saw my first '07 in the dealership yesterday...mmmm, mmmm, it sure did look good. Too bad I need to wring out another 2-3 yrs out of my '05 before I even approach the wife on that subject.

Grats on the new ride.

After riding today on my 07 Black Cherry, im wondering why it took me so long to switch over to the Dark Side :biggrinsmiley:

:blink: Congratulations. If you're like me, I come to appreciate the bike more and more each time I ride it.

The thing is it's so capable and does so many things really well.

Everything in life is a compromise of one sort or another.

This bike just seems to be a wonderful blend of proper compromises; it's dependable, consistent, fast, very manuverable yet stable, riding position is comfortable for the long haul, good wind protection that's adjustable and has eliminated the negative air pressure behind the screen, has solved any heat problems in earlier models, ABS stops like a champ, has good range, rear view mirrors give me a good usable picture to the rear, suspension is adjustable enough to suit most needs and conditions, hard cases are easy to use and carry a good amount of stuff for long distance tours, gets respectable gas mileage.

The icing on the cake, it also looks great with or without the bags.

About the only thing that would make me consider buying a newer model is losing 50-60 lbs. weight and cruise control...are you listening Yamaha? ('05 FJR and '06 FJR)

Just brought home my new Black Cherry FJR. All I can say is Wow. Or Holy S--t Batman what a nice bike.
This was my first ride on an FJR. Wish I had done this sooner.

How can anyone not like this bike. Smooth, stable, stupid fast. Nice sound, but not obnoxious.

I have been on BMWs for quite some time. But I have to say this thing rocks. Not only the big stuff but the little stuff as well.

Very nice dash. The seat comes off, and goes on nicely. You can see out of the mirrors. Easy access to the oil filter. I can actually reach the ground.

I ripped off a quick 50 miles on the ride home. Very, Very, nice. I am no expert with this bike yet. But for my 5'8" self, it fits very nicely.

More to come when I calm down. enough to think straight. I have owned at least 11 rode bikes, and I can tell you I never had this much fun on the ride home.

Woo Hoo,

Walt,

I'm with ya brother. Had my black cherry for a little over a month now. 1500 mi and loving it. Like you, been on BMW's for a few years prior. This bike is fast, fun, easy routine maintenance. I'm liking mine too! :yahoo:

Yep i thought DarkSide meant the faster Black Cherry as opposed to the slow blue :p

I just performed the 600 mile check last night and decided while i was in there to pop the spring off 1 turn. Is that farkling? or do you actually have to buy an item to install.

I have sliders but thats almost mandatory for me since most bikes i have owned have fallen over or crashed. They seem to find their way on to a track.

Run whatcha brung or own.

Hell, Fencer I thought it was almost like "perfection" with two wheels, thought maybe Yamaha had some "alien technology" they were slowly leaking into the FJR, isn't that what the "A" stood for. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the bike, Uzi. It ain't perfect but a helluva lot better than most of the bikes out there. As you ride it you'll become more and more appreciative of the great design job Yamaha engineers did on the FJR. You won't have the "heat" problem that some pre-06 owners had or "didn't" have. As far as that "snatchy throttle" and some of the other "non-issues" on the FJR it's probably a matter of what you're used to. I had about a 25 year hiatus (that's a break for those of you in Rio Linda) from bikes. I came back to riding with a BMW 1150 and went through the "surging" issues with that bike, then to the ass blistering heat of an ST-1300 (which was or was not a problem depending on how you 'throttle body synch'ed" etc BS etc.) Honda never addressed it like Yamaha did and the bike you're riding is a pretty cool ride. If you have been riding fuel injected smogged bikes you probably won't feel many of the irritating quirks that are discussed on this board by some of us who started out on carbureted bikes.

Most of these issues are a result of manufacturers having to meet the CARB-08 smog specifications. Santchy throttle is a "dry stack" caused by abrupt shut off of the injectors. The heat was because they had to run the engines so damn hot and lean and the Catalytic converters were outrageously hot as well. Ask someone about the "George Foman Broiler" on the 1150 BMW's. Yamaha solved much of the pre-06 heat problems with air flow and a thermal blanket between the engine and the gas tank. I had my FJR apart last night and got a close up look at all of it. Beautiful solutions, Yamaha. :yahoo:

Yamaha has done an incredible job with this bike. As an engineer I take my hat off to them and am so totally amazed that they can get the bike to run as wonderfully as it does considering the extremely stringent exhaust requirements that the Europeans and Kalifornia have place on them. Amazing engineering for sure.

Enjoy the bike, there are plenty of farkles that folks have added. Make the machine your's and enjoy the great ride. You might start by playing with the suspension to see how it can be adjusted. I bought the shop manual recommend it, it's a good investment.

Have fun!

AZ

Last edited by a moderator: