WeSTOC 23 - Baker City, OR - August 27 - 30, 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abercrombie: <snip> I've never ridden in Oregon, Idaho, or or Washington. Is there any good riding or things to see there?
jester.gif
^^^^ Don't let these guys fool ya Kevin. Nothing to see but a bunch of straight flat roads out here...
grin.gif

--G
Humm...I've been wanting to ride my Supermoto on all those boring roads up there. Waddya say George, perhaps some tire profiling?

Abercrombie: <snip> I've never ridden in Oregon, Idaho, or or Washington. Is there any good riding or things to see there?
jester.gif
^^^^ Don't let these guys fool ya Kevin. Nothing to see but a bunch of straight flat roads out here...
grin.gif

--G
Humm...I've been wanting to ride my Supermoto on all those boring roads up there. Waddya say George, perhaps some tire profiling?
...assuming my PTO lasts through all the trips, it's doable 'Bug. You know the way my friend!

--G

I've started adding some suggested rides out of Baker City to the WeSTOC website at https://westoc.org/rides. If anyone here has any other suggestions please feel free to post them here. I'm also adding waypoints to the route gpx file for good places to eat or any other points of interest. As usual, we'll have a "map room" setup at the hotel with large plots of the suggested routes.

TIA

Thanks to Ignacio for moving this thread from the PNW area to here. This year's event is in Baker City, OR but WeSTOC is more a Western US event attended by riders from across the Country. Seemed to make more sense to move the discussion to here.

Spending the morning verifying fuel stops along the recommended WeSTOC routes. Careful fuel stop planning is important in this part of Oregon as some of the towns are pretty small. One time my Garmin took me to the only nearby gas station in the small town of Fossil only to find it had been converted to a dress shop! I'm adding gas station waypoints to the route gpx/gbd files.

Some towns have name brand fuel while others are small and old like this one in Dale, OR.

Version 1.0 of the recommended routes file can be downloaded here: https://westoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/WeSTOC-23-Rides-ver-1.0.zip

IMG_20171230_102847.jpg

I will have to consider this one. If any one else is thinking about heading that way from the Puget Sound area let me know. It is a much more enjoyable ride with others than going by myself.

It seems the hotel has had some issues properly booking rooms into our room block and extending the $90/night group rate. If you've already booked a room or were quoted a higher rate I would urge you to call the hotel at 541-523-6444 and confirm your reservations. The group is called 'WeSTOC23' and our Group ID is 8K1NV5C6.

Sorry for the confusion!!

https://WeSTOC.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at the routes you laid out. Oh, those are some great roads to ride. Love Dooley Mountain and the road north out of Sumpter was repaved a year ago. Looks like fun!

Looked at the routes you laid out. Oh, those are some great roads to ride. Love Dooley Mountain and the road north out of Sumpter was repaved a year ago. Looks like fun!
Cool! Thanks for the local info on the roads. :)

Dan Mulkiewicz, this year's chief WeSTOC disorganizer, has worked out a deal for some Neck Gators for people that register for the event and also reserve their hotel or camping spot by June 15th.

We'll also have a few of these for sale along with the T-Shirts during check in. Basically, any money we make on stuff like this goes right back into the event.

So get out there and register!

Already up to 50 peeps! =)

I have 20 awesome WeSTOC 23 routes routes ranging from 85 to 525 miles. I don't even know how to pick the 5 we ride when we are on the recon in July?? Come join us at WeSTOC 23 for some great riding August 27th in Baker City, OR.

WeSTOC23-Rides.jpg

I have elk hunted, fished and camped in this area and made several ABATE of Oregon Fossil runs back in another life. It is beautiful country for riding. Anybody know if Sumpter still has dredge tours?

I have elk hunted, fished and camped in this area and made several ABATE of Oregon Fossil runs back in another life. It is beautiful country for riding. Anybody know if Sumpter still has dredge tours?
The dredge was self guided the last time I was through there a couple of years ago. Amazing just how bad they ripped that river apart!

The dredge was self guided the last time I was through there a couple of years ago. Amazing just how bad they ripped that river apart!
I guess! You can see it from space!!

StumpterDredge.jpg

The WeSTOC23 recon is in the books! Great riding!! RedNeckJay, Dan, Mike, Tim and I were Joined by David and Micheal for some of the trip. A little over 3,200 miles for me in 9 days.

BasecampComplete-1280.jpg

This one was probably everyone's favorite day ride.

20180709Tracks-1280.jpg

20180709Elevation.jpg

20180709Speed.jpg

The drop from 7,500' near the Anthony Lakes area is quick, but I don't think I achieved 250 mph.
wink.png

Met a lot of interesting people along the way too. No "performance awards". Good times.

Back at work now.
sad.png

Looking forward to being back in the area the last week of August for WeSTOC23.

AustinHouseGroupPhoto.jpg

I can see why that was the favorite ride. If you did it counter clockwise, you start out in the little alps (passing Anthony Lakes) and end going over Dooley Mountain, with lots of those "straight roads" between those.
punk.gif
Just Outstanding planning!

If you are not from the area, I recommend getting a Butler Map of Oregon.

The recon was epic, the route Adam features was probably the best riding day of my life. The area is amazing for roads, lack of traffic, scenery and nice people. Higher elevations on the routes in conjunction with hitting the road early proved an effective combo to battle the heat. Hit the Austin House(closed Tuesday\Wednesday) and the Short Horn if you can. Sausage patties at the Short Horn (Richland, OR) are great and locally made. Several good food options exist in Baker City. Bring some walking shoes as downtown restaurants are about 1 mile from the Inn. There is a nice park next to a river that runs through town. The walk is kind of nice after spending all day on the bike.

Latest posts