What do you do, Jack?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I persevered.

The Cal-Sci is a great product, obviously better in terms of noise and buffeting to the Yamaha standard and Touring screens. What is most noticeable is the quality of air coming over the lip: it is smooth and free of any turbulence.

The fact it is stressed across its mounts means it doesn't flap about. Any hint of length-ways flex is eliminated by bending it into place at the edges.

The wide screen stops the ruffle across my arms. It is quiet even when on its lower bump stop.

I used the supplied stainless bolts with rack nut washers.

Woo hoo.

Now a related question: ON Cal-Sci's site, their installation instructions show some parts they used to sell to increase the rake of the windshield. There are a coupe of different options, one with more of a rake, including a market standoff. When speaking with their guy yesterday, he said they no longer offer this, as they received various complaints.

The implementation is fairly primitive (I could see some potential problems with it) and could be replicated with a few items readily available from one's local Ace. But would doing so accomplish anything in the case of the CS windshield? Has anyone here done this, for good or ill?

I bought a used calsci. Didnt fit. No way it was going on my bike. And I thought it might be the replacement for Cee Bailey.

I've got a Gen 3 Touring screen that has seen little use for sale now. $100
Now $75.

What I have discovered is that all windscreens are Tuneable by either shimming them more upright or laying them back further.

My "Best solution" was to shim my Stock Gen 3 Windscreen more vertical.
20181016_181528-L.jpg

You can see the silver shim I used, a 1/2" thick Aluminum bushing in the above picture. The bushing goes between the Moveable Mechanism and the sheet metal bracket that the windshield fastens to. I tried various thicknesses until settling on this one. Every one is different, your seat height, your torso length, your Windscreen etc, all affect how this works. Don't be afraid to play with it.

Shimming such as what BigJohn has done is what I had in mind, were I to do it. It's the approach CS had provided for optional use in the past. I've since received and mounted a more desirable (i.e., wider - a "Large Wide") CS windshield. I took a quick 20-mile ride and I'm thinking such fiddling will be unnecessary. So far it seems like one could not expect more in the way of performance from a windshield. But definitely use the provided metal screws. I also put nylon washers underneath, though, to preclude metal-to-windshield-surface contact at the screws. And a small patch of automotive trim adhesive tape in the center of the brace to guard against it at that point. (CS recommended electrical tape, but that's not the right stuff to expose to the elements.)

To quantify earlier observations: The 24" inch wide variety is actually about 20-1/2" wide once curved, and the 27" about 23-1/2".

There is one more mounting stressor that dawned on me. The windshield mount is designed to accommodate windshields that are bubble-shaped (like the stock) and the mounting brackets are built to that design. Therefore the mounting points for the windshield are not in the same plane. And this means that the non-bubble CS produces more tension on the upper and lower screws as the windshield is forced to bend over the center mount points on each bracket. I tried shimming a bit behind the windshield at the lower screw but this compromised the installation of the trim piece so I figure I'll just live with all this preload. What's the worse that could happen
flirt.gif
?

Well, i´ve got a Cal-Sci on my 2011 and I love it.

Tried a VStream first, but it almost broke my neck at high speed...pulled the head forward really bad.

Last edited by a moderator: