What is it about motorcycle tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
After my problems finding new tires on the road I decided I would take care of that and buy a tire machine and mount my own.

So after about 500 + dollars later for a tire machine and balancer I figured I was ready to mount my own so if I had a questionable tire before I left on a trip I would put on some new rubber and then put the old ones back on to use up their remaining tread.

I am not a rider that rides around the local area, In Iowa it is not too much fun just going in a straight line. When I saddle old paint and pull her out of the garage she can expect 2500 to a 10 K trip. The average is probably about 4 K.

So when I got back from WFO I ordered a set of Brigestone 020 tires from tire express ( Competition Accessories ). This was on Aug 4th. It is now August 14th and I called them and they said they had the back tire but the front tire was not due to ship until the 24th and that was iffie. J---- CH---- what am I not seeing here. Their claim to fame is they sell motorcycle tires and deliver in 1 to 2 business days.

The gentleman that I talked with was a real nice person and was trying to help my out, I told him that I planned on leaving on the 24th for about a 5K ride and needed rubber. I asked him about Pilot Road and they didn't have them in stock but they could order them. :assassin: I am close to blowing up now, I asked him if he had any tires in stock for the FJR and he said that he did have the Bridgestone 21 in the warehouse in Texas and Colorado. If I was in a hurry they could drop ship to me from the ware house for 12 more dollars. By now my tongue is bleeding but I am in control of myself. I went for the 21s.

When I finally get my tires and if I like them I will order another pair just to have them waiting for me, I mean after all , two trips and I will need them and being I am retired I take a trip a month.

OK, I now have the rant out of my system, thanks for listening to me.

I think there is a really good business oportunity of selling motorcycle tires out there if any one is interested.

I think you are cursed. Did you by chance piss off a Voodoo Priestess?

FWIW I needed tires when i got home from WFO pretty bad. I priced storms at swmoto and fjrgoodies. Including shipping swmoto was about $10.00 cheaper. I bought my tires from Glenn at FJRGoodies because I just love the way they do business. 15 minutes after I hang up the phone I have a UPS tracking number in my email and 2 days later I have tires. It must be said that I am on the west coast which means shipping is significantly cheaper and faster then it would be to the midwest but hey...You can actually talk to these people about your FJR and get no bullshit. As long as their prices are reasonably competitive they will get my business.

Shipping was included.
Only if you buy two. I got charged $14.00 for shipping one tire, but I'm not about to buy two until I find a model that I believe in and want to stick with.

I also recently bought changing equipment. Harbor Freight, $97.00 out the door, one Mojolever, and some balancing beads, $28.00 per pound. Haven't put the thing together and mounted one yet, but there's a new BT-021 waiting in the garage. I'm still working around town on getting the cords to show on my Avon Storm....

I'm local to Comp A and I can tell you...THEY SUCK!!! My friends and I meet in their parking lot to ride up to Iron Pony in Columbus. If they don't have what you want in stock...go elsewhere! Otherwise you'll NEVER see it. Ironically, they share a building with another company of the exact same name, but claim they're totally unafilliated. Hmmmm. They're a Yamaha dealer, but when my buddy went in to buy an oil filter for his R1, he could NOT make the boneheads behind the counter understand that it was a 4-stroke motorcycle and not an ATV. He finally gave up and went to Wal-mart for an oil filter. That's a perfect example of what you get there. They do have a gaggle of big-tittied blondes working the accesory counter. I guess it helps draw in business, but you don't want to actually buy anything there. When I was shopping for my E-spec Diablo Strada, they were $50 higher than everybody else!!! I bought the tire at Iron Pony...in stock.

YMMV.

motoxoutlet.com I ordered a set of Avon Storms for only $243 including shipping received them in 4 days. They are great to deal with & have the best prices I've found anywhere.

The BT020 has been replaced by the 021 so if they don't have one in stock your chances of getting one from them is very slim.

Cancel your order and get a pair from 021s or something else from SWMoto. I just ordered a pair of 021s from them yesterday and I don't expect any problems but I'll let you know if they don't appear as expected.

FWIW, I always keep a set of stradas on hand for just in case.

Once I use one, I replace it right away.

I think the forum needs me to go to kali and burn someone's house down.

I think there is a really good business oportunity of selling motorcycle tires out there if any one is interested.
There's no money in it -- dealers can't get the tires from distributors for what the big outfits advertise as retail prices in the glossy magazines. Motorcyclists constantly drive down the prices (like, on boards like this -- where the cheapest price is soon known). Trouble is, only truck-load lots (dist. to retailer) gets those cheap prices. And other players, like Comp A, try to follow suit (pricewise) -- but, often, don't have the product. 'Twas always thus..... :huh:

If your bored....you could always stir the pot ;) .......
Like, what? Like my dealer CalCoast, keeps my tires in stock, charges me internet low prices then mounts and balances the new tires for free? Like that? Now, Mikey, Mikey, Mikey... Would I do that?

Same here. Since the first tire change on my FJR in 02' a small independent riding gear shop with a one man wrench has given me within $10 of SW Mototires on a set of tires and he mounts and balances those tires I buy from him for free. $60 to take the tires off and put them back on while I wait if I so desire.