What is your GPS of choice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Lots of choices out there for GPS units for our bikes. I had a Montana on my KTM Adv but want to get something a little more bike specific. What is your GPS of choice? Are the Zumo's worth the cost or is it better to just buy a Garmin car unit. I have seen a few of these on bikes before. I would like Bluetooth for sure. Not sure I need Sirius radio or weather but they would be nice I suppose but not necessary. Do you find if you have weather etc that you use it? Or is it a waste of money...

Also has anyone used there Smart Phone as there main GPS. This has crossed my mind but I have had overheat issues with my phone before just having it sitting in the car on hot days. Was thinking with it out in the open it may have problems also. But then again maybe not because of the air blowing across it.. What's your opinion on that.. I don't mind dropping the money on a 665 Zumo if it's that much better than everything else...

Also has anyone used there Smart Phone as there main GPS. This has crossed my mind but I have had overheat issues with my phone before just having it sitting in the car on hot days. Was thinking with it out in the open it may have problems also. But then again maybe not because of the air blowing across it.. What's your opinion on that.. I don't mind dropping the money on a 665 Zumo if it's that much better than everything else...
I've been using CoPilot Live on my Android Phone. My phone pipes music and turn by turn directions over bluetooth to my headset. It does an OK job of navigation. Probably the best Nav app for a phone, but not as good as a dedicated GPS. Also keep in mind most smart phones and car oriented GPSs are not weather proof. You'd have to buy something like an aqua box for wet weather riding.

I just finished installing a Tom Tom Rider 2nd Edition and I like it a lot. As far as fully waterproof, you have two choices from what I understand. The TT Rider and the Zumo. They are the only waterproof bike specific gps's on the market. All your phone calls show up on the scream. You can press to talk or ignore. I got it to see what it'll do on my EOM13 trip next month. I'm thinking it'll be great. I'll post my opinion when I get back. I'm doing a six week mini Bucket List cross country trip after the rally. I'm ready!! :))

I recently bought a Garmin Montana 600 which I liked very much until the screen went blank on me. Garmin replaced it under warranty, but I don't have a lot of confidence in it anymore. I think I would have been better off with a Zumo.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152998-best-setup-for-iphone-and-gps-mount/?hl=garmin&do=findComment&comment=1074978

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151532-iphone-5-as-gps/?hl=garmin&do=findComment&comment=1055012

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150160-gps-mounting-location/?hl=garmin

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149895-looking-to-get-a-new-gps-what-do-you-own/?hl=garmin&do=findComment&comment=1026651

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/148063-gps-mounting/?hl=garmin&do=findComment&comment=997987

Welcome to neprt
uhoh.gif

iPhone 4 in a Lifeproof case - everything all in one! Waterproof case, no extra cost, and doesn't overheat as long as you're moving and its not TOO hot. I did get the yellow triangle once when crossing Nevada when the indicated temp peaked at 107°, and even then probably would have been OK if I could have figured out how to get a little more air flow over the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really NEPRT? Did you even read any of those topic headings. Let me go through it with and it's not even Friday. I will start with the first one and work my way down for ya..

1. Best setup for Iphone and GPS Mount

2. Iphone 5 as GPS

3. GPS Mounting Location

4. Looking to get a new GPS. What do you own?

5. GPS mounting

So out of the 5 links you provided me number 4 may be close to what I asked but I currently own a Garmin 60csx and a Garmin Montana 600 neither of which I want on my FJR... So I think my question was pretty relevant. There is a lot of new technology out there with phones etc but not sure I want to expose my phone to the elements etc. If something goes wrong with the phone I don't have a backup phone so a new GPS would be nice. There are a million different car versions for GPS that's what my main hope in the topic was, was to find out if there is anything else out there that works good on Moto's besides the Zumo's.

Thanks for putting it in NEPRT though.. Maybe it will still get some traffic. And thank you to those of you whom have contributed so far...

Oh ya. And it's only Thursday today... We still have a few hours before it should have got flamed...

I didn't want to spend the $650 on a zumo so I bought a $180 nuvi. It has bluetooth but you cannot pair it with your headset which I think is by design from Garmin - they want you to buy the expensive zumo. Anyway, I took the nuvi on a 1200 mile trip recently and while it worked well, I have decided that I'm going to spend the money on a zumo. Not having the spoken directions into your helmet is ok on the highway but when you get into some tight areas like a city or town, it's downright dangerous trying to look down for where to go. Also, I would like to get a zumo 665 which lets you play mp3 tunes into your helmet as well.

Congratulations! You are on your way to a record percentage of posts going to NEPRT. And so early in the game too. Mean old Admins, expecting you to do a search...

My brother and I bought a pair or refurbished Zumo 660's a few years ago. Around $400 each and they came looking like new in the box. All cables and parts were included.

Remember...If you buy a new one and send it in for warranty work, they're gonna send you a refurbished one. We just skipped the middle man and saved a bunch of money.

Some place like "Cheapgps.com" or something like that.

Congratulations! You are on your way to a record percentage of posts going to NEPRT. And so early in the game too. Mean old Admins, expecting you to do a search...

Yes maybe I should just post any of my questions into this forum to begin with. Because obviously if you ask a Question about What your GPS of Choice is, its the same thing as asking How to mount your GPS... If you look at all the Mods searches that he found for me they were about Mounting GPS's not what's the latest and greatest. Oh well. Seems this NEPRT thread gets a lot of traffic anyways so I'm perfectly happy contributing to it... lol...

I'm thinking I am just gonna buy a Zumo 660 and be done with it.. Seems to be a good one..

Yes maybe I should just post any of my questions into this forum to begin with. (snip)
Ah, therein lies the rub. You can't post directly into NEPRT, an admin. has to move your post for you.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter. I always just pull up the new posts since my last visit and select the ones I want to read by reading the title. I don't even notice which forum they are in.

My vote goes for the Garmin Zumo 660 also! Also have a Zumo 220 (discontinued) that I now relegate to snowmobile use. After the sticker shock the 660 is one awesome GPS!!
rolleyes.gif

Zumo 660...You can play MP3's via bluetooth to your bluetooth headset.

The Zumo 665 adds XM Radio, if you don't want XM you don't need the Zumo 665.

This will seem old school, but I use a Garmin 2730. It is an older model, but still able to get updated maps. You can find them in refurbished or used condition and they are pretty durable and waterproof. The 2730 is XM capable with the GMX30 antenna. To get bluetooth, I use a cheap made in China dongle (about $20). There are RAM mounts and harnesses for the 2XXX series of Garmins, The one on my FJR currently has about 60,000 miles on my ST and previous bikes and still works flawlessly. If you don't need XM any of the 26XX (no 3D view) or 27XX units work. The 2720 has traffic and weather available with the dedicated antenna for those features. I paid less than $120 for my last refurbished one that I use in my truck.

Lacofdfireman,I've used Garmins for years starting with the 2720 Street Pilot (my fav) through the Zumos to my current Garmin app on my iPhone 5. Be careful with the car specific units (Nuvi) if you have a headset because they won't Bluetooth to your headset. From what I understand, only the motorcycle specific models will Bluetooth to headsets.I sold my 2-year old Zummo 665 for $700 and went with the Garmin app for my iPhone because I wanted the simplicity of one device to Bluetooth to my headset (Sena 10). 2 devices bluetoothing was a little cumbersome and didn't always function as advertised. Tried the CoPilot app as well but I just seem to like the user friendly layout and menus of Garmin. There are 2 downsides to the apps, which are pretty major depending on what you're used to. You can't share routes with others that you create within the app. Also, and huge for me, you can't create routes on a computer through Mapsource or Base Camp, etc. and download them to the app on the phone - which I cannot believe Garmin hasn't figured this out yet! So you're left created routes, which only you can use, on the small screen without even the ability to drag and drop a route. Anyway, a water proof case like Lifeproof or Seidio works fine but you have to have bull leather gloves (Icon makes a good pair) or "Thumb Dogs" or no gloves at all (or if you're like me and left your gloves in the garage over the winter and had a mouse gnaw off the left index finger tip to use for bedding then you have good protection and operational ability in one) to operate the phone's touchscreen through either of these cases. Hope this was helpful.

I have both a Montana 600 for my dirt bike and a Zumo 665 on the FJR. Both are very good and was an improvement in maintaining signal lock compared to my GPSMap 276. The screen on the Zumo is very poor however in that sunlight washes out the screen and without some sort of sunshade is almost useless.

I have always used Touratech mounts because I prefer to isolate the GPS from the high frequency vibrations from the bike. The newer GPS seem to be better in standing up to vibrations but there is a long history of board damage due to vibration in the past and I'm willing to spend a bit more to eliminate that issue.