What oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
First of all, I have tried a "search". Unfortunately "oil" only has three letters, and I don't feel like guessing at what other keywords to use.

Second, I'm ashamed of myself for starting this thread. I consider myself very well thought out, and have been changing my own oil in more vehicles than I can remember for about 35 years. But, to be honest, it's the "ticking" that has me second guessing what oil to use. I normally use Mobil 1 in everything I have. But in this case, I don't want to take a chance that I wind up with the first '06 to "tick", and wonder if the oil could be a factor.

So, how about some simple answers. What does everyone use?

Thanks

I love a good oil thread in the morning.

Shell RotellaT Synthetic 5w40

tickless as well

...and prepare to be moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a couple more seconds, he's slaying a troll at the moment.

First of all, I have tried a "search". Unfortunately "oil" only has three letters, and I don't feel like guessing at what other keywords to use.
Second, I'm ashamed of myself for starting this thread. I consider myself very well thought out, and have been changing my own oil in more vehicles than I can remember for about 35 years. But, to be honest, it's the "ticking" that has me second guessing what oil to use. I normally use Mobil 1 in everything I have. But in this case, I don't want to take a chance that I wind up with the first '06 to "tick", and wonder if the oil could be a factor.

Thanks
If I remember correctly, the ticking WAS (note that I said "was") random in it's selection of victims. That is what made it so baffling for so long. Believe me, I remember when this topic was hot years ago and people were banging their heads against the wall trying to figure out what THEY were doing wrong. Yamalube, synthetic, Rotella, Mobil, Amzoil. The tick didn't really give a shit as to what kind of oil you were using or what kind of break-in procedure you used or whether or not there was a history of cardiovascular desease in your family. Don't sweat it and do what you would normally do. I DO believe in my heart that Yamaha knows/knew what the deal was and made the necessary corrections. I wouldn't spend one second worrying about the tick. Not one. Change your oil, ride your motorcycle and enjoy it to the fullest. IMHO, of course.

Moved where? Is there an "Oil" section of the forum?
Thanks for the quick replies. :D
Never-ending, pointless, recurring threads.

You may not be able to find oil doing the search, but you could prolly just cruise this one section. All oil talks invariably end up there. Or, you could do a search for posts from jestal. He is our resident oil exspert. Even though an expert is just a former spert, we humor him and listen intently to his mad-man rantings. Occasionaly, rarely, he gets lucky and makes a valid point or two. :D

Really, anything you can find from jestal relating to oil will be what you are looking for.

Oh, look. We have arrived.

Moved where? Is there an "Oil" section of the forum?
Yes, it's affectionally become known as the Never-Ending-Pointless-Recurring-Thread and where most oil threads go to live. I figure being a member for 9 months you'd have seen this conversation come up many times including this recent thread. Truly though, a valiant effort trying to search first.

Have fun with the variety of opinions.

....and IMHO ticking doesn't have anything to do with oil choice.

It's the valve seal tolerances and/or materials....and is supposedly fixed in the '06. I went with Yamaha dino in my '05 just to reduce the chance of any debate with Yamaha over warranty if mine were to become a ticker.

I've used Rotella 15/40; Rotella 5/40 synthetic; and finally settled on Delvac 15/40 'cause jestal uses it! Yup, that's right, just because jestal uses it. And yes, if jestal jumped off a bridge I would too.

I've used Rotella 15/40; Rotella 5/40 synthetic; and finally settled on Delvac 15/40 'cause jestal uses it! Yup, that's right, just because jestal uses it. And yes, if jestal jumped off a bridge I would too.
What if it was a lava bridge, hmmmmmmmmm?

Of course!

image030.jpg

We've had a PowerJoke® Ford that runs (loosely termed) on Biodiesel, that has been here 3 days, and will be for at least 3 more. It ain't smellin' so sweet..........

Canola oil seems to work.
No, no, NO! Canola is CRAP and it will ruin your engine!

Use pure Wesson Corn Oil only.... the exhaust smells sweet and it invokes hunger in many people...... :D
And remember at changing time... 'All the oil comes back, except 1 tablespoon!'

Okay, okay, who else had impure thoughts about Florence Henderson? :dribble:

Jeez...you guys say the nicest things.....LOL.

Wesson...??? Canola....???? What crap!!!!

Everyone knows crisco is the only oil to use in your engine.

That is my favorite sarcastic joke about NASCAR.....as in.....If Jack Roush would get enough money from Crisco he would run his engines on it and have a Crisco patch on his hat.....or add your favorite or not so favorite NASCAR team.

Okay, okay, who else had impure thoughts about Florence Henderson? :dribble:

Didn't I just see her in a new Polident commercial...???...or was it Depends...????

I don't know about "everyone" but I use the Delvac 15W40 conventional oil (non-synthetic version) and don't even give it a second thought.