what tires to use

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I switch my tires soon, I will be getting either Shinko 009 or 005, ran I've ran both of them in the past with good results on a z750s and VFR800. I imagine they will be okay on the FJR
Tires are a personal choice, and perhaps your choices suck moist ass cheese! :lol: :p

Several peeps have reported ***much*** less than stellar results with the Shinkos on FJRs.

Therefore you'll never see one on mine.

I guess its possible they aren't the right tire for the FJR. I ran them on the VFR which is a bit over 100lbs lighter and they did fine. You definitely have more saddle time than me on an FJR or any bike so I do trust your judgment. However, I think sometimes internet myths can spread like wildfire. A lot of people who say the Shinkos are crap probably haven't run them. Now because so many people run PR2's on here, I may get a set of them, but I am tempted to try the Shinkos. on this bike.
Agreed about internet myth. Just for the record, I have never run them. A while ago, someone brought the Shinkos to the attention of the forum. Very attractive price. Several here tried them. IIRC, many did not like them. I am sure some time searching would turn up some threads on them.

Besides some general reports I am kind of fuzzy on, one of my riding buddies (vectervp1) tried them and gave me a detailed review on them. In short, he will never run them again so therefore I will never try them.

But by all means, give them a try. Like I said, tires are a personal choice. What works for one, may not suit another.
Yup, I thought they sucked.

Sort story version is they started out decent and quickly became scary to me. I pulled them off with probably 50% tread showing because they made me loose confidence while riding. Not a good situation to be in.

I would rather stick a car tire on my bike than ride on Shinko's again.

Didn't you use the Shinko 006 Podium's? I haven't read anything bad about the Shinko 009 or 005 on here other than some people don't like the way the front tire turns in on the 009. I can say with assurance that the 005's I had on my VFR were great, I rode them very hard in the Pocono Mts with the VFRworld guys and they never felt slippery. I only ran them for about 2k miles before I sold the bike but they looked new. I had the 009's on my Z750S and they also seemed very good.

So possibly the Podiums suck. Every tire company makes tires that suck. I run dunlops 606's on my KLR and they are amazing, but I have had some other dunlops in the past(stock ones on the VFR) and they stunk.

If I decide to get the Shinkos on the FJR, I will report honestly about them, if they aren't good, I'll say it.

when I switch my tires soon, I will be getting either Shinko 009 or 005, ran I've ran both of them in the past with good results on a z750s and VFR800. I imagine they will be okay on the FJR
Tires are a personal choice, and perhaps your choices suck moist ass cheese! :lol: :p

Several peeps have reported ***much*** less than stellar results with the Shinkos on FJRs.

Therefore you'll never see one on mine.

I guess its possible they aren't the right tire for the FJR. I ran them on the VFR which is a bit over 100lbs lighter and they did fine. You definitely have more saddle time than me on an FJR or any bike so I do trust your judgment. However, I think sometimes internet myths can spread like wildfire. A lot of people who say the Shinkos are crap probably haven't run them. Now because so many people run PR2's on here, I may get a set of them, but I am tempted to try the Shinkos. on this bike.
Agreed about internet myth. Just for the record, I have never run them. A while ago, someone brought the Shinkos to the attention of the forum. Very attractive price. Several here tried them. IIRC, many did not like them. I am sure some time searching would turn up some threads on them.

Besides some general reports I am kind of fuzzy on, one of my riding buddies (vectervp1) tried them and gave me a detailed review on them. In short, he will never run them again so therefore I will never try them.

But by all means, give them a try. Like I said, tires are a personal choice. What works for one, may not suit another.
Yup, I thought they sucked.

Sort story version is they started out decent and quickly became scary to me. I pulled them off with probably 50% tread showing because they made me loose confidence while riding. Not a good situation to be in.

I would rather stick a car tire on my bike than ride on Shinko's again.

...I can say with assurance that the 005's I had on my VFR were great,...I had the 009's on my Z750S and they also seemed very good.

I had BT021s on my Trophy. Very good throughout the tyre's life. The front lasted about 6000 miles. On my FJR the front BT021 was OK for a couple of thousand miles, then turned into a POS. Illegal tread-wise at 4000 miles.

Quite similar bikes in terms of weight and performance, the FJR is a little heavier and a little more performance (though I never use it to its full).

Different tyres suit different bikes.

By all means try them and report, but be prepared for disappointment.

Here's the problem with that: Many (most?) of those old NEPRT posts don't even apply any more. Many were made before the advent of the current crop of ST tires. Many of the old tires (preferred or otherwise) aren't even available any more. Prices have changed radically over just the last year. PR2's use to cost a big premium. Now they are priced about the same as others.
I don't see the big deal about bringing this topic up for an update every now and then. Yeah I know it can get old. So don't read the threads that have the word "Tires" in them.

Ob smilie---> :D
Since we're on the subject, are there any members running the new Bridgestone BT023 GT specs? I'm not thrilled with my curent set of Roadsmarts. They handle well in the beginning but are developing a very angular wear pattern. I am mostly 2 up, secondary roads. The OE BT021s lasted 7000 miles, but the front really chopped as time went on.

Haulinashe?????

BT023 GT are great. I have about 900 miles on mine now. Made my bike feel new or better than new.

BGH60

...BT023 GT are great. I have about 900 miles on mine now. Made my bike feel new or better than new.

BGH60
Please report back as they wear. The 021s were good for a couple of thousand. Then the front becomes cr*p. I hope the 023 behaves for longer.

Im replacing my stock frount tire just woundering what is best for high milage and perforamce . I have the bridgestone batterix bto21 now just woundering if any body has used the batterix bto23 sport touring tire or is there something better thanks again
I had B-020,s on my 06 originally. They lasted about 9500 miles, both were pretty bad when I replaced them. Several members here recomended PR2,s ( very good advice ) I have almost 3000 miles on them, its hard for me to imagine a better tire for this bike. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike came with tires on it. So you are saying I may have to change them some day????? They didn't tell me that :dribble: . I was happy living in ignorant bliss :yahoo: but now you broke my bubble. :rolleyes:

doctorj

Here is a tire wear report.. Just wore out my Dunlop Road Smart tires. I have 7,000 miles on them and should have changed out 800 miles ago. The front tries did not wear correctly in my opinion - the front tire center compound seems a bit too hard.. They have tread still on them in the center and the sides wore out completely. Basically I have a high center and low sides making turning like falling off a cliff. The rear tire wore perfectly like they have the hard/soft mix just right. I was surprised the front wore out quicker than the rear. The previous OEM Metzlers (first set) front wasn't spent before I changes them out and had about another 2K left. The rear Metzlers wore too quick in the center. I just bought a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2's from Motorcycle Superstore - think I will give these a try based on comments found on this site and others - paid $270 and expect labor to be around $100 for removal and replacement for a total of $370.. Had to go the internet purchase route because I was quoted $500 for tires and change out from a local shop; I prefer supporting local businesses but prices that high are uncompetitive and force me to look elsewhere. This may be part of the "Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads" but I think there is a point.. Longevity, performance and price are important since tires are so critical (when you have only 2) and they are so costly.

Riding Habits: Fast in the corners, fast on the straight aways, always on the throttle. Ride twisties as much as I ride straight.

LONGEVITY and TIRES should never be used together in the same sentence.

Dunflop RoadSmart front has been long-known as a total POS on the FJR. Don't bother buying one. The rear is a good tire and plays well with others.

I have given the BT023 a try on the rear and like it the best so far for a rear tire.(tried Metzler-stock, PR2, & Roadsmart) It has given me the most mileage from any tire. I am right now at the wear bars and I have over 7K miles on it and I am thinking of replacing it with another BT023. It sticks to the road great and wears even till the end.

I haven't tried one on the front. Currently I have a PR2 on the front. I really like the way the PR2 front handles and wears.