What to price a 07?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
I've been on the fence for a while now about selling my bike. Wifey is not interested in riding anymore since getting pregnant and our daughter was born. It has never felt like the right bike for me both in form and function since. I'm not using it for it's original purpose which explains only 7k miles. Has a larger windshield and stock still in box, changed the throttle with the aluminum one to take away slack with new grips and put in a power commander. I know the farkles don't really add to the price so at the very least might pull the PC.

It's an 07 Dark Cherry (ABS) in excellent condition with a little over 7k miles. Rides like it's on rails but if I drive more than 45minutes that's a lot right about now. Never any reason to put on the bags either. Also have the YES warranty from D&H.

Another question I have is that there is still a balance on the yamaha card. How is that usually handled with private sales. If I remember correctly it's a clean sale and I just owe the balance like a CC but gotta check on that.

Might be looking at the other bike i was considering when I bought this one. 07/8 Midnight Warrior since I'm tired of buying new any paying extra for that unless I can get a steal on a leftover. I know wifey doesn't want to hear about buying a new bike but it's about enjoying the ride I have and also feeling comfortable riding it.

So what would you price it at for private sale? Still on the fence but getting close to just selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out what they're selling for. Look at craigslist, ebay, this classifieds and cycle trader. If you're not in a hurry, start at $10,000 and you might get lucky. If you want to sell it quickly, list it at or under $7,000. The problem is that dealers are selling leftover 2008 brand new for $10-11k.

KBB says $6350 trade in and $9080 retail. Private party is usually right inbetween (~$7750) If it were me, I'd list it for $8500 and take any offers down to $7700. Just be patient. It's a delicate market, and there's not a ton of shoppers right now.

The ones I'm looking at in the PNW are asking $7-8k, but they're not moving. If you really want to maximize your return, take off every accessory you can and sell seperately. You'll get 80% of what you paid on those items (it's amazing). Where you might not get anything if sold with the bike. It might help the sale for the right person, but most people want to accessorize to their own heart's desire.

I can't help you with the Yami card; don't know anything about it. Is that different than a traditional loan? I know that OR and WA differ in how they handle titles with loans, so it's probably going to differ with whatever state you're in as well as with however Yami handles it. I would just disclose that fact when you post the ad. Most people understand and will trust you as long as its known upfront.

I'm saving my pennies and shopping every day for a deal, so I feel like I have a handle on the market. If yours was an AE and in Cerulean (sp?) Silver I'd be paying better attention to where you are.

-Kevin

If you're selling something, the bottom line is the item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Check what comparable local '07s are listing for, watch and see if they're moving and you've found the price point. KBB & NADA are guides, but local market will ultimately determine the price point.

Unless you find the right person, extras don't add much to the price. Take everything off that you can and sell separately.

My $.02, good luck with whatever you decide.

--G

Hey, I'm new here, and in the market.

I think $7,000 is not a bad price, where are you "renink" ??

I'm in Florida. How's the bike overall, scratch-dent-maintenance??

NY but for 7k I think i would keep it :unsure: I see craigslist up here for $8,000 (2005) $8,750 (2006) $11,850 (2008) but don't know how much action they are getting.

It had all of the maintenance done, 600/4k or whatever. Right exhaust has a scratch on it probably from some car but I got an excellent deal on ebay for one brand new in box. Going to just keep it in the box until I decide what I'm going to do. Was very light rubbing where my jeans/jacket touched the tank but I waxed it shinny again and out a tank protector there. Other than that it is in excellent condition. Even have a few other things on it I didn't list like Gemnar(?) risers, a mount for my Zumo GPS on the triple tree.

But like what has been said that doesn't mean anything to most people. Was going to do things to make it fit me more but didn't like what I read about lowering it. I'm about 5'11" 285lbs honestly but my inseam doesn't allow me to flat foot and makes me feel uncomfortable when maneuvering in parking situations and backing up uphill just pisses me off. Was looking at seats, replacing with Helibars and other mods but seems like I am doing so much and paying out a bunch to make it a different bike. And one of the problems is the outrageous cost for a lot of the farkles. Seemed like I would have had a better fit with the other bike I was looking at but dealers up here don't allow test rides due to no insurance issued to dealers for it in NYC.

I'm usually very quick on making decisions but wifey says no more bikes till she gets a car. <_< And since I blame not enough funds for one I gotta find a way to convince for the other :rolleyes:

Just don't sit on it until colder weather comes in....or else you'll have it until the next summer. Don't ask me how I know this. :D