What Type of Rider Are You?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
Many of you have probably heard of and even taken the Meyers – Brigg Personality Inventory. You take a test and the results are used to assign a rating for different aspects of your personality. It was all the rage in the 80s and is still out there. For instance one might get a rating that says: You are a narcissistic, insensitive sociopath, who dislikes groups and believes all others are beneath you. But enough about me.

Well, let’s try this on for assessing your motorcycle personality. Rate yourself by selecting at least 3 of the types below. Your first selection should be the type that most strongly captures your view of yourself; the second selection defines you a bit less strongly and the third even less so.

Don’t think I’ve listed a type that captures you adequately? Well define your own type. And for extra credit you can rate your friends and buddies…. Be kind.

Type P – the Performance guy. Most likely to spend your last available dollar on a part that will make the FJR accelerate quicker, corner better have a higher top end. Exhaust, shocks, radar detector and carbon fiber are on your must have list.

Type A – the Appearance guy. Most likely to spend your last dollar on some item that makes the bike look better. Your bike is rarely dirty and you have 30 different chemicals, cleaners and waxes in your arsenal of maintenance supplies.

Type L – the Local guy. Almost all your riding is spent commuting to work or making weekend rides with a group of friends to local restaurants and/or to favorite stretches of road. You seldom ride more than 500 miles in a day and almost always end-up sleeping in your own bed.

Type T – the Traveling guy. Most of your riding is done while making long trips. You’re not trying to break any records nor too consumed with timetables, but a 4000 mile trip in ten days is something you do often. You’d spend you last dollar on items to make the bike comfortable and functional.

Type G – the Gadget guy. If they make it, you shall own it

Type I – The IBA guy. Not just a guy who did a ride to get the license plate holder. A hard core competitive distance rider. Your last dollar will be spent on fuel to fill your auxiliary fuel tank.

Type S – The Sadsack guy. Bought the bike but for one reason or another only makes short rides on rare occasions. You have more time polishing the paint than in the saddle.

Type W – The Wrench. You love to work on bikes as much as ride them. All too often you are stuck in your shop on a nice day fixing someone else’s bike.

Type F – the forum Poser guy. Spends all available time on the forums and does not even own a bike.

Type M - Owns multiple bikes and splits riding and wrenching time among several options and genres of motorcycles

I’ll go first: I’m a T-G-A

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say I'm LGW, but you need to up the mileage on "L" to 500. That's my normal back roads ride limit in a 10-12 hour day. Hopefully the L will change to a T when I no longer have to show up for W (work). ;)

PAL. I like to ride it hard and look good on my weekend rides.
grin.gif

L-P-G,

I do one day rides up to 300-500 as often as i can, and ride to work some, Wash the bike about every week or two , and have some perf. mods.lol

I'll take T-P-G.

I was going to take L instead of T, but then it occurred to me that with all the flat boring roads where I live, I do have to travel to get to the fun places.

L-T- insert new Type M. Owns multiple bikes and splits riding and wrenching time among several options and genres of motorcycles.

Most of my annual miles are my commute to work with longer, up to 500 mile days on available weekends. Loves to travel when vacation time and savings account levels allow. Enjoys owning several bikes of various makes, models, and uses.

Type L – the Local guy. Almost all your riding is spent commuting to work or making weekend rides with a group of friends to local restaurants and/or to favorite stretches of road. You seldom ride more than 500 miles in a day and almost always end-up sleeping in your own bed.

describes me perfectly.
rolleyes.gif

I'm a Type D.

I spend far more time Dreaming about riding, wrenching and farkling than I ever do actually doing them.

I think I am a T-P-G rider. Mostly T because the P and G options are geared towards achieving the T comfortably, safely, and with fewest encounters with LEO.

Type L-G guy that rides to work often and dose Saturday rides, likes gadgets that make the bike more comfortable and functional so when vacation time rolls around I can be a T-type.

Type T and Type G for me. G is geared toward T. Sometimes they are gadgets just because I can. And when my 3D printer shows up, look out!

I'd like to think I was a Type A guy, but I'm still trying to get wax out of places from the last time I washed it. So even if I had that personality, I'm not very good at it.

I can't choose, I'm (or was) a little of all of them...
blush2.gif