What would you do- random overheat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Nothing alarming, but after a long stretch with zero issues, Ive had a few Hi temp situations on my 14. April 1, 3am at my first Tour of Honor site, I left the bike running for two minutes at just over freezing while I got my shot. Got on the bike and pulled across the street to plot nav, and I saw it switch from a number to Hi. Shut it off for 3 minutes while I fiddled with the gps, and no further issues for the rest of that TOH SS1K or any day after.... Until today. 75F. Heavy traffic. Almost 30 minutes with very little movement. Bike went to Hi twice. Both times I killed it and pulled to the shoulder immediately, letting the fan run for a bit. No further issues. Coolant is fresh (from last year) and at the proper level. Im not alarmed, but I am a bit puzzled, as I normally deal with much hotter conditions and traffic without seeing this. This is after a year, including a full southern summer, with no heat issues whatsoever. I dont know what to check. Your input is appreciated.

If both fans are working, thermostat would be first guess, temperature sensor (easy to replace under tank) would be next if previous 2 don’t resolve it. Sounds like a thermostat to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.