What year FJR1300A was the best up to present.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

joshua7602

I am going to be buying an FJR this next spring of 2012. Have already test drove a 2007 for about an hour or 40 miles. Absolutely feel in love with it. Was wondering what year offered the best of the best. Since i have time on my hands just waiting and believe the waiting is killing me inside but must. Hope to get as much info together before i start looking for my dream bike this next year.

I am going to be buying an FJR this next spring of 2012. Have already test drove a 2007 for about an hour or 40 miles. Absolutely feel in love with it. Was wondering what year offered the best of the best. Since i have time on my hands just waiting and believe the waiting is killing me inside but must. Hope to get as much info together before i start looking for my dream bike this next year.
Dear Joshua, if you want totally unbiased responses regarding the best Generation of FJR, I highly recommend you send Private Messages to both SkooterG and RadioHowie; They are "The FJR Voices of Reason" and will give you answers with no spin on them!

Also, if your circumstances permit, consider attending SW-FOG 2011 in Taos, New Mexico; you can then talk to Owners/Riders of all of the years!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=134691

Welcome aboard Joshua, you'll enjoy our FJR Forum. Lots of great people and plenty of good information here on maintaining and farkling your FJR.

Consider yourself cordially invited to SW-FOG 2011, held in Taos, New Mexico September 6-9; large FJR gathering with good times/food and big laughs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering what year offered the best of the best.
Whatever year is in the profile of a person will be the default best year.

...in other words....no one year is the best....and all years are the best.

Resisting urge to move to NEPRT..... :huh:

The 2008 model was the last time Yamaha made significant changes...so my vote would be 2008-2011.
What were the "significant changes" on the 2008? :huh:
Not much. From the FJR Model Comparison Matrix it was exclusively this one line:

• For 2008, the FJR1300A gets a new ABS system, new scratch‐resistant hard windshield coating, a new windshield bracket design and new grips.

2006 was the BIG change.

Gen I: Either 2004 or 2005. Better value on a used FJR than a Gen II with it's 'alleged' upgrades.

Gen II: I would have said get a 2009+ until recently, but seems in 2010 Yammie finally started making them with wiring harnesses that won't fry. So the 'best' is a 2010+.

It has not been discussed publicly on the forum in any detail, but there is anecdotal evidence that suggests Yamaha has been consistently tweaking the throttle cam pulleys and fuel injection frequently if not every year. Ping escapefjrartist who recently upgraded from a 2006 to a 2009.

There were some significant changes in 2008. (Use the search) In 2009, they put the 'easy pull' clutch slave cylinder back in.

What do you know? An honest answer from me.

My advice: Skip the POS Gen II and get a real-man's motorcycle: The Gen I FJR1300.

There now, that's better. :p

What many don't realize is that Yamaha stopped building the FJR in 2005.

In 2006, they outsourced the nameplate to Doohonkei, the Chinese successor to Zundapp.

It's all gone downhill since '05. :huh:

2006 "Yamaha" (Doohoneki/Zundapp) FJR (aka "Bella"):

800px-Z%C3%BCndapp_Bella.JPG

They DO make a helluva sidecar! But the wiring harness on the bike is crap!

What many don't realize is that Yamaha stopped building the FJR in 2005.

In 2006, they outsourced the nameplate to Doohonkei, the Chinese successor to Zundapp.

It's all gone downhill since '05. :huh:

2006 "Yamaha" (Doohoneki/Zundapp) FJR (aka "Bella"):

800px-Z%C3%BCndapp_Bella.JPG

They DO make a helluva sidecar! But the wiring harness on the bike is crap!
See Joshua, I told you that RadioHowie was our "Go To Guy" on all things FJR! You are Welcome, no need to thank me! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Hey Josh - I bought a 2007 as a hold over, but "new" buy dealer / NADA standards. NO problems other than the 2 recalls associated - have logged > 28,0000. Likes to eat tires - but that is the fun of it.

Personally, the hand warmer addition is a nice creature feature - but the cherry is sooo cool.

They are all the "Best Ones" and they are all the worst too. Each has it's strong points and weak ones.

The big knocks against the 1st gens (from wimps mostly) were that:

It would allow the rider to feel some of the higher power that it puts out as heat on the rider's legs. Easily rectified with a few home-made-mods.

A relatively small population had problems with the valve stem seals wearing prematurely, resulting in guide wear, and what is known as a "ticker".

The 2nd generation added a few "features" like improved air management that results in less engine heat being felt by the rider.

Also improved the engine's valve guide seals and guides (which can be put into the 1st gens during a top end rebuild) to prevent tickers. There are no known ticker 2nd gens.

The knocks against the 2nd gens are:

They redesigned everything to accommodate the YCCS (auto clutching version).

In this redesign they screwed the pooch on a number of things:

The throttle cam rate changed resulting in a throttle that is hard to control.

They messed up the ECU fuel injection firmware resulting in a problem if the bike was ridden at varying altitudes (recalled)

The clutch rate became grabby and stiffer because of the ratio required for the YCCS. (fixed in later 2nd gens after they ditched the YCCS)

They built an all new electrical wiring harness for the 2nd gens, which routed too much current through the ignition switches causing them to sometimes meltdown (recalled)

And they added the ground block "spiders", which also have excessive current routed through them (also recalled). Both of these will put you dead on the road, out in BFE.

The bike is heavier, for no apparent reason.

The bike is longer in wheelbase, which is generally not considered a great thing for quick handling.

The front forks were redesigned for no apparent reason and now the bushings wear out earlier.

I ride a 1st gen (can you tell?) Would I ride a second gen if there were no 1st gens? Farking right I would. But as long as there are first gen FJRs available with low mileage at decent prices, that's what I'll have.

The 2nd Gen FJR is the 2nd best bike Yamaha has ever made. :p

Gen II less potential for the Tick, fried Nuts and > more watts. 08 and up have less Quirks..

Contrary to Scooter's comment re 2010 up not having grounding issues ,the 2010 do require the grounding fix.

Tough choice there all good.

Gen II less potential for the Tick, fried Nuts and > more watts. 08 and up have less Quirks..

Contrary to Scooter's comment re 2010 up not having grounding issues ,the 2010 do require the grounding fix.

Tough choice there all good.
My bad. 2011+ are not part of the recall.

Edit: Whooops! NOT my bad. 2010s are NOT part of the recall Peter: Clicky. Only 2006-2009.

So I stand by my 2010+ for good-to-go on the stock wiring harness.