What's your fuel mileage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
I'm curious what people are getting. If you have PC, what map do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 2004 model that I just sold, I was consistently getting 42-46 mpg. My new '08 with only 800 miles on it is getting around 38-41 mpg. Hoping it loosens up and gets the mid 40's like my '04 did.

The bike's computer says 17mpg. Since I don't care, that's close enough for me. :p

I alway reset my trip and my avg MPG when I fill up.

I've gone 270 miles on one tank and put 6.3 gallons in, that's almost 43mpg (42.85), I think the computer said I averaged 45.

I average 40 - 42.

I have a PC mapped for performance. I get between 42-44 miles.

Funny last year put on new tires, plugs and TBS the mileage dropped about 2 mpg.

I have a PC mapped for performance. I get between 42-44 miles.

Funny last year put on new tires, plugs and TBS the mileage dropped about 2 mpg.

Jerry, my mileage varies greatly depending upon elevation, temperature, and right wrist.

I can expect to get in the mid 40's while running a rally - but have had substantially lower as well as higher. When running mileage figures in my little pea brain to keep myself busy, I use 40 just to make the math easy - as well as to be conservative.

I have been averaging 41-42, I have the PCIII with the smoothness map for 06+ and done the barbarian mod...

I am very happy with my milage.

I generally get between 40 and 45 mpg. I start looking for a gas station around 200 miles between fills. That just seems like a good safety margin on the fuel and it is about when I need to get off and stretch a little. I have stock ignition and no PCIII, but I do have a Muzzy exhaust system and oiled foam air filter.

I was averaging 38 on my 07 until I installed the PC III. With the calculated smoothness map, my mileage dropped to 34 average. Another result of the PC III is that the average mileage calculation on the bike is now WAY off (tells me I'm getting 43 mpg).

BTW, miles on a tank is very subjective. Calculated fuel mileage is a better comparison between bikes/riders. Some people fill before the low fuel warning engages, some wait until it comes on and some push fate and go 50 miles past. I rarely fill early and usually wait for the countdown to start, but I've also gone 50 miles into reserve before.

Jerry, my mileage varies greatly depending upon elevation, temperature, and right wrist.
I can expect to get in the mid 40's while running a rally -
That makes sense. I honestly could never get why people wonder about what mileage they are getting on the FJR. I know I get somewhere around 180-200 miles a tank, with another 45 on reserve if I feeling like pushing it (as you say it varies greatly with wrist control). If that and a flashing fuel gauge aren't enough to tell me when to get gas, figuring fuel mileage isn't going to do it.

You will see mileage reports from a low of 35 to a high of 50 (that being rare): it is far more common to see reports of 40-45mpg. On a 1000 mile trip the difference between 40mpg and 45mpg is less than 3 gallons, or about $12 for every 1000 miles, figuring gas at $4/gallon. If you eek out the 50 mpg you now have saved 5 gallons over someone getting 40mpg, or about $20. So I can't see where this would be a buying or selling point for the bike, or a make or break point for taking a trip on it. So money savings seems to me to be a non-issue.

My mileage varies way to much, depending on my mood and riding style, to rely on this measurement for detecting maintenance issues. So, I am seriously left to wonder why anyone would care?

Now I can see where running a rally one would want a very good sense of you fuel mileage. Thanks Kaitsdad. :good:

If it's just a point of interest for a machine that you love, then fair enough. Or maybe I just need to learn to go with the flow?

My mileage varies way to much, depending on my mood and riding style, to rely on this measurement for detecting maintenance issues. So, I am seriously left to wonder why anyone would care?
The reason I care is that I'm going on an IBA-style ride and I want to know my range. My bike's so new to me that I haven't ridden tank-to-tank on the highway yet. Normally I don't compute miles per gallon, but I do keep an eye on miles per fillup. That number is very important when riding competitively, has Hal knowingly pointed out.

Also I am enjoying the poll results and peoples' comments.

I usually average 42 mpg riding two up. Seen as low as 36 and as high as 50 depending on twisities and wind direction.

QUOTE (jwhite518 @ Oct 9 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm curious what people are getting. If you have PC, what map do you use?

No PC, stock.

fjr1300_miles.jpg

Higher values when touring, lowest when city commuting.

(40 mpg UK approx 33.3 US, 45 UK approx 37.5 US, 50 UK 41.6 US)

My full fill history here.

Higher values when touring, lowest when city commuting.
Your's pretty much parallels what I see. Average, if I keep my wrist out of it, is about 50mp/UK g, the lowest I've seen was about 40, with a high of 59 (two up, with gear, 70km/h through a driving rain storm.. and I was calc'ing fuel milage the whole time. Ended up just going on reserve when we arrived <phew!>)

When I get 375 km out of a tank mixed riding. I'm happy.

I usually get about 40-42mpg commuting to work, about one-thrid street, two-thirds freeway. On longer rides and not on the highway but, back roads, I get into the 50mpg range easily.

I voted 170-190. I fill up each week regardless at about 170 miles; however, I could easily get over 210 per tank (stock). I don't like getting my tank that low due to the fuel keeps the fuel pump cool. My Beemer fuel pump would start howling at me when it got real low. It would heat up and start some nasty metallic noises, so I always like to have a couple bars left when I fill up.