What's Your "Third Place"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently brought up as a Starbucks advertisement the idea of a "third place" is the place you hang out most after your home and work. Wikipedia's Definition of Third Place

This forum is my third place.

It's not a physical place like a home, office, Starbucks, or the crapper, but it's definitely a place to hang out....sort of like Cheers without the booze and TWN is our skinnier version of Norm.

....just got me thinking in a sappy mood :drinks:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.

Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name handle,

and they're [almost] always glad you came.

You wanna be where you can see click,

our troubles are all the same

You wanna be where everybody knows

Your name handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a favorite tavern, served my favorite beer in just the right glass. My friends were always there on Friday after work. Now, my third place is on the seat of my FJR, riding. Sounds corny, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it..

If home and work are first and second, I probably spend more time around here than any other single place.

Pretty sad, huh? At least I'm doing it sober, mostly.

on the basis of time spent - since I can't hardly get on the computer at home because the kids are on it. IF the garage doesn't count (Man Cave) then I guess it would be on the bike.

if the Man Cave DOES count as not quite being at home... then I would say that would be my third place.

got one side for FJR - tool box and work bench -

other side has pool table, fridge, stereo (no tv though) and is relatively close to the pantry. Can smoke cigars in the Man Cave - Can drink beer or associated spirits - can play pool and wrench all in one place. I'm thinking of installing a pole though.

Doh! I totally missed the "my bike" as a candidate.

.....baaaad LD rider.....baaaaddddd.

very timely topic iggy. i actually got a call on sunday night from a forum member from CA wondering if i was ok because i haven't been very verbal on here lately. was a very nice gesture from him and reminded me how much Reno meant and how much i love this community. this maybe third place but it means more.

So, what yer sayin' is, if I'm Nahm, your Sam (only not as good looking, but you do have your real hair), skooter is Woody (wow, there's an upgrade!), Ari is Frazier, radman is Cliff, MadMike is Coach, scab is Nick (without the mono brow), FJRchik is Carla, then who the hell is Lilith?

Third place...? Hmmm... Yeah, toss-up: Here, bike, bike, here. :dntknw:

So, what yer sayin' is, if I'm Nahm, your Sam (only not as good looking, but you do have your real hair), skooter is Woody (wow, there's an upgrade!), Ari is Frazier, radman is Cliff, MadMike is Coach, scab is Nick (without the mono brow), FJRchik is Carla, then who the hell is Lilith?

That would be FredH. :D

Hmmmm,

This one gets tricky for me...

Since i am at #2(work,Truck Driver) more than #1(home,Brick and mortar),And i am on here almost as much as #2, The bike definatly gets the #3 for me since i ride every chance i get! Which as of latley is NOT VERY MUCH! :(

So the order would be:

1 work

1 the forum

.5 home

.5 bike.

Weird huh?

That would be FredH. :D
:yahoo: :rofl: :yahoo: :rofl:

very timely topic iggy. i actually got a call on sunday night from a forum member from CA wondering if i was ok because i haven't been very verbal on here lately. was a very nice gesture from him and reminded me how much Reno meant and how much i love this community. this maybe third place but means more.
We know you're around. SOME of us read the ride plannng and ride reports from sections of the country other than "our own". But it is nice to see your "name in type".

:blink: I guess I will add an affirmative to that.

This may very well be my "third place" as defined by Starbucks and Ignacio.

I usually weigh a bit light compared to you folk......but, I do drink the harder stuff, too.....that might set off the weights a bit.

:blink: ODOT, where have you been, thought you dropped off the face of the earth there for awhile!