which bar riser is best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All kinds of opinions and considering the above, I will say this and cover up, but I would like to find a way to lower my bars about an inch... and no I'm not a dwarf- still six ft.. last time I checked.

Well, would you agree that in most cases taller people will have longer arms? I think that would be the norm. If we're going to argue about unlikely scenarios, then it's all moot since you might get hit by a meteorite anyway.
Obviously taller people will have longer arms. That isn't the point.

Whether a taller person's longer arms will be long enough to compensate for their increased torso length IS the point.

And that is not at all an unlikely scenario.

OK, you're saying that since you don't have an adjustment, you should add risers to move the bars in the wrong direction.
Did you ride the little bus to school?
No. Where the hell did I say that?

I said only that I don't have adjustable bars, as you suggested that I should adjust them.

I didn't say or even insinuate that this had anything whatsoever to do with why I have risers.

Completely illogical conclusion on your part. Care to make any other unfounded accusations?

Now, who was that riding the short bus?

Much of what passes for facts on this forum are debatable and some are just urban myths. The reason so many bikes have risers and aftermarket seats is that so many newbies read the same group-think answers here and take that as gospel. Nobody asked the new guy that posted this how tall he is, or pointed to the Master Yoda link. If the "accepted wisdom" here was that risers aren't needed, then very few new FJR owners would add them. Then they'd learn to sit on it correctly and not have the seat/windshield issues.
If risers work OK for you because your torso and arms are misproportioned. that's fine. But you can't generalize that for everyone or even the majority. And you aren't doing anybody any favors by telling them that they need expensive mods to an already well designed bike.
I am not generalizing a thing. If you look back through this thread you will see that I merely asked what he didn't like about the stock bars and mentioned that I use Heli risers on my 1st gen. (cost me $30 FWIW. Wow! Major expense.)

All of the other posts were answering the OPs original question about which risers they preferred, and they were not generalizing either. They were providing their first hand experiences and opinions as requested by the OP.

You, OTOH, are generalizing saying that nobody should be using risers as it messes up their riding position.

I say, Bullshit!

A person can get into the same low riding position with or without risers. They just may need to bend their elbows a bit more to do so. They may not be able to get into as comfortable a cruising position without them, depending on their physical stature. If someone decides that they want to use risers or some other ergonomic aide, I would assume they have come to that conclusion on their own.

Your elitist attitude is pure crap IMO, and unwelcome.

Have a nice day.

All kinds of opinions and considering the above, I will say this and cover up, but I would like to find a way to lower my bars about an inch... and no I'm not a dwarf- still six ft.. last time I checked.
I'm not aware of any way to do that. But you could just try bending your elbows more. ;)

I have a set of Helis. They adjust my position enough that my torn shoulder does not bother me as bad. I will agree w/ Reno that I do encounter more buffeting as I am 6'1'' and sit more upright now.

Fred, so what you're saying is...

"Your elitist attitude is pure crap IMO, and unwelcome."

Well said. I got a new hero!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping:

I have a set of Helis. They adjust my position enough that my torn shoulder does not bother me as bad. I will agree w/ Reno that I do encounter more buffeting as I am 6'1'' and sit more upright now.
Get some spacers for your windshield. They are also called tuning blocks. They tip the shield down and give you a cleaner flow of air. They work great.

Get some spacers for your windshield. They are also called tuning blocks. They tip the shield down and give you a cleaner flow of air. They work great.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Or....I'll suffer the pain of a torn shoulder to ensure I stay in the approved position. :rolleyes:

I think some guys modify their FJR, because they tour. They want to be a little more comfortable. If I wanted the best sport bike, I'd have bought a Busa or a Duc. I just wanted a lighter, better handling bike than a Goldwing. Not to say the 1800 Goldwing is a bad bike. Anyone who has ridden one can attest to the fact, once you get moving the bike feels like a 250 pound starter bike. It handles well for what it was designed for. A lot of guys on this forum say it is boring, I wonder if they ever rode one. The only draw back of the 1800, is its weight at rest, hard to paddle the sucker around, thank God for that reverse. The other draw back is not enough ground clearance. Just speaking for myself, I ride for the enjoyment of it. I really don't want to ride if I have to endure an uncomfortable riding position. Almost every bike I've ever had, I have had to modify. In the old days, you had to beef up the forks and put better rear shocks on any stock bike. Especially after the horse power wars. The bikes were just way to powerful for their sorry ass suspensions. I've had quite a few bikes, and once I modified the suspension, the Yammy XS 1100 was my all time favorite. The reason I went with a FJR, is the engine looked just like a old 1100 engine. I knew it had to have much better suspension. When I rode it home, I knew it needed a couple comfort modifications to be a 800 mile a day touer. It still handles like a champ with the risers, bigger shield, and I can't wait for that ugly ass Russell seat to get here. To each his own.

No risers are the best. Learn to sit and ride the bike the way it was designed. Or get a Gold Wing.
So tell me, smart guy: Exactly which body shape rider did they design the FJR for? :glare:
I think the FJR was built for 6' riders with 32 inseam & a little belly (oops thats me :unsure: ) I have Genmars on my 07 & there ok but i think if i did it again i`d buy the top tree riser set up (much better looking but thats just me)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'6" and the 32mm risers on my bike feel weird to me. They'll be for sale as soon as I round up some shorter bolts.

I'm 6'3" and 250 with a 35 inch sleeve length. I have the set from the banned guy and I love them. I didn't think an inch and 3/4 would make that much difference but was wonderfully surprised. They made a world of difference in my comfort - eliminating wrist pain and eased lower back lean requirements. BTW - I also have a tall CalSci windshield.

Last edited by a moderator: