Who wants to let me ride their bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodogg2221

Reaction score
Ok, I posted about my need for a different bike in another thread...have MOSTLY decided on the FJR, but I need more than a static showroom sitting to make an informed decision. Id hate to get one, and be rid of the VTX and realize Im no better off than I was...

Now I need to know, since no dealer will let me take one out for a spin, if there are any of you helpful souls in Indiana willing to let me give yours a spin...

I know its a lot to ask, but I really cant think of any other way to get to ride on one, legally at least.

Oh, I suppose even Southern Michigan would be ok too.

Id be happy to ride over to meet up with someone. That is if anyone would be so inclined as to let a perfect stranger saddle up on their mount...

The dealer that I bought my '07 from (used) tossed me the keys and said, "See how you like it." :yahoo:

I've seen dealers with 'demo' used FJRs -- after all, they've been aound for close to 7 years now.

Besides, if you crash it -- he gets a 'job' out of it (ain't insurance grand?). :)

You may need to look a little harder? :unsure:

I am still amazed that some dealers don't allow test rides. I would look for another dealer, maybe one with a used FJR.

As far as collateral in case of a drop?

I was actually going to insure it for a day...but regardless, I didnt think it was too big a deal to ask. I would also think that leaving my bike in their care would be worth something, considering its worth more than a used FJR...guess I was wrong.

Honestly, you are going to have better luck finding a dealer who will give you free maintenance for life around here than finding one who will allow test rides.

Not sure why. Im no kid, and I ride a bike bigger and heavier than the FJR, and Ive got more experience on more bikes that most of the guys working there...

And its not just one dealer either, so finding another one isnt really an option unless I go out of state, which Id rather not do.

I guess Ill keep checking around...but judging from just a showroom sit, and no ride, I actually prefer the C14...but things have a way of changing once underway, and you cant tell squat about a bike sitting on it in the showroom.

As far as collateral in case of a drop? I was actually going to insure it for a day...but regardless, I didnt think it was too big a deal to ask. I would also think that leaving my bike in their care would be worth something, considering its worth more than a used FJR...guess I was wrong.

Honestly, you are going to have better luck finding a dealer who will give you free maintenance for life around here than finding one who will allow test rides.

Not sure why. Im no kid, and I ride a bike bigger and heavier than the FJR, and Ive got more experience on more bikes that most of the guys working there...

And its not just one dealer either, so finding another one isnt really an option unless I go out of state, which Id rather not do.

I guess Ill keep checking around...but judging from just a showroom sit, and no ride, I actually prefer the C14...but things have a way of changing once underway, and you cant tell squat about a bike sitting on it in the showroom.
Good luck.

<snip>....you cant tell squat about a bike sitting on it in the showroom.
Turn your "Way-Back Machine" to 2002 -- prospective FJR riders had to give their dealer money without having even touched an FJR (let alone ridden anyone's).

It's a 'leap-of-faith' -- ("trust your cape") :eek: :)

Yeah, but he is a bit out of my way.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 miles out of the way...

I don't get it

any dealer has a dealer plate (here anyway), usually attached to either one of those hideous orange vests, or a belt that you strap around yourself. This spring, before I bought my FJR, I was in a honda dealership drooling at the new 09 aspendcade (i know i know...) on the showroom floor. It was 'new' 0 kms.

point is: they were TRYING to get me to take it out for a ride. I wasn't seriously looking to trade-in my current goldwing that I had ridden-in on. I was just admiring it.

And you're a serious buyer who can't even take it out for a few f-ing miles? Find a better dealer.

I was leaning toward helping you out until the VTX is worth more than your FJR thing happened. That sounds like something, well never mind.

Now back to your delema, you right, most dealers will not let you ride first. Around Cincinnati, they will return the bike if you don't like it, but you have to purchase another bike in it's place. ( within 30 days ) I would find a dealer that does let you ride. There is a dealer 15 miles from my house that allows you to ride first. They are around.

If you can't find a ride first dealer, and if indeed you are set on a FJR or a junk Connie, then just find a Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer, if you don't like one, trade for the other.

I usually get paid to think for others but your first one is free.

I came from an 02' VTX 1800 also. My last two bikes were cruiser styles also: 94' Magna, and 83' 700 Shadow. I bought the two Hondas from the same dealer, and got to test ride both without question. My 08' FJR was the first bike I have ever bought without a test ride, only because I made the deal in early February of 08'. My dealer gave me a trade in offer without even seeing my VTX!

Two points here: One-I came from a VTX as you are, and I have not regretted it one bit. Average yearly milage on my X was around 2500. First year on the FJR saw 8500. Not big numbers compared to other members here, but I just use it to commute and for short day rides. Find myself coming home from work as many different "long" ways as I can. Loved the torque of the X but put that tach needle north of 5000 on the FJR and hang on!!

Two- If you are really considering an FJR, you should be able to find a dealer that will let you test ride one...they should have insurance for that, and will have you sign a waiver.

Good luck!

OK look! The "Only" reason that I plunked down $500 on a PDP in 2004 for a 2005 model (I live in an un-popular part of California = in terms of mass marketing), is.... I got onto the [email protected] list, and asked "if" somebody could give me a ride. I got a response, and I met the guy half way from my home (110 miles). After the usual formal introductions (basically, you break it you buy it OK?), he tossed me the keys. I rode it 20 miles and I was SOLD.

Sold my ZG 1000 Conne & the rest is just history!

'05 FJR1300 = 50,000 + miles

Would I buy another FJR?

You bet!

Would I consider anything else?

Yeah, maybe a C14 (I have a soft spot for Kawasaki's). I love the way they scream when they rev. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but he is a bit out of my way. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 miles out of the way...
Sounds like a SS1000!!!

Funny how dealers can be so different, I went to a couple around here and every one of them asked me if I wanted to take one out. The only way I've ever let someone ride my FJR is if they are an acquaintance I've ridden with so I know what they are capable of. It is not so much the $ but the amount of time I've put into getting my bike farkeled to have to go though that again so soon. The dirt bike is another story, it is entertaining watching learning how to ride on that.