Who's dropped their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to respond to this thread last week and smugly say that I had NEVER dropped my FJR in three years of ownership and 75,000 miles. (Decided not to be an asshole)

Yesterday, as I was getting ready to ride home from Halifax to Fredericton, I started the bike and realized I hadn't hooked up my heated jacket liner. Leaned the bike over to the sidestand and quickly discovered that I had already raised the sidestand in preparation for departure and she went over for the first time. No stopping it once you are past the tipping point.

1) No injury, other than my pride

2) Very easy to pick up; especially when charged with a little adrenalin

3) Left mirror and lower part of left bag are a little rashed (Edit: Frame sliders work to protect major Tupperware)

4) Had a GREAT late-season ride home. Probably the last major ride for the year.

Next week I'll get some rubbing compound on the saddlebag and give the old girl a year-end bath, disconnect the battery and put her away. I have some off-season maintenance to do - mostly valve check and some rerouting of farkle wiring.

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to respond to this thread last week and smugly say that I had NEVER dropped my FJR in three years of ownership and 75,000 miles. (Decided not to be an asshole)

Yesterday, as I was getting ready to ride home from Halifax to Fredericton, I started the bike and realized I hadn't hooked up my heated jacket liner. Leaned the bike over to the sidestand and quickly discovered that I had already raised the sidestand in preparation for departure and she went over for the first time. No stopping it once you are past the tipping point.

1) No injury, other than my pride

2) Very easy to pick up; especially when charged with a little adrenalin

3) Left mirror and lower part of left bag are a little rashed (Edit: Frame sliders work to protect major Tupperware)

4) Had a GREAT late-season ride home. Probably the last major ride for the year.

Next week I'll get some rubbing compound on the saddlebag and give the old girl a year-end bath, disconnect the battery and put her away. I have some off-season maintenance to do - mostly valve check and some rerouting of farkle wiring.

Ross

My last drop was at a gas station. Filled up while on the bike and dropped my glove. Just plain forgot I'd already put the side stand up. Sure is a sick feeling when you realize the kickstand isn't where its supposed to be, isn't it?

The ONE thing Harley does really well is its side stand design. Except that is for the one time mine fell off while riding. :(
Must be a common occurance because I had to be a replacement Harley sidestand once. Seems the hinge bolt had fallen out of a buddies Harley sidestand, but luckily the stand didn't depart the bike. I had to sit on it and hold it up at the hardware store somewhere in Idaho while he went in to get a replacement bolt.

One of the more bizarre threads I've seen.

If he learns that the damage from a fall can be very expensive will that make him less likely to dump the bike?

Does it make one feel better about their biking skills to discover that others have dropped their bikes?

Just totally bizarre!

It's kinda like having an incurable disease. You just feel better when others with the same disease suffer with you. One of those....."you are not alone" slogans. Same thing goes for idiots and assholes. Probably why we get along so well on this forum......

It's kinda like having an incurable disease. You just feel better when others with the same disease suffer with you. One of those....."you are not alone" slogans. Same thing goes for idiots and assholes. Probably why we get along so well on this forum......
+1

Bill

Hey, please show respect to your elders. It's Mr. Asshole to you.

Hadn't dropped a bike since 1990, have had FJRs 10 years. Dropped my '03 twice in 2010. I won't reveal the V-Strom drops...

Hadn't dropped a bike since 1990, have had FJRs 10 years. Dropped my '03 twice in 2010. I won't reveal the V-Strom drops...
Well the V-Strom drop is no problem, it's well protected and ugly to start with. The FJR is not so well protected. Went on a ride with a friend on a BMW LT, it fell down twice in one day. No scratches as it has great bumper protection. Doesn't mean I prefer the LT but I do like its protection, otherwise the FJR bests it in many ways.

Bill

OK, I'll jump in. Hadn't had the 06 very long and joined up with the nor-cal group for a nice ride over the famous route 36 going the east to west route. It was still o'dark thirty and I was finishing strapping down my gear in front of our motel in Red Bluff planning to meet up with the rest of the gang for some breakfast down the street and some coffee to help wake up.

I thought everything was kosher and started up the bike for a short warm up and ride to eat. Everything seemed right, put it in gear, let out the clutch and as I started to take off I started to get this sick feeling all was not right in FJR land. The bike started to make this weird sound and started to slow and next thing I'm thinking is "I'm going down!"...........Well it turns out dummy me forgot to take my cable lock off the rear wheel!!!......Lucky it was a cheap model and came apart before it could damage my wheel but did scuff one mirror and one underside of my rear saddle bag. My pride was hurt more than my new bike....And thank God for frame sliders. Didn't let it ruin the ride and I still have the scars on the bike to remind me. Minor ones but lasting good memories of that trip! Painman. ;)

When I was gassing up several days ago, a kid came over to talk and asked me, "What is the most dangerous speed for that motorcycle?" I answered, "0 MPH." It seems to me, that the OEMs should be able to engineer in crash protection for low or no speed drops. Mirrors that fold rather than break, plastic that does not hit the ground, levers and handlebars that survive, are just a few of the considerations that could be addressed at little or no additional cost. Why not?

OK, I'll jump in. Hadn't had the 06 very long and joined up with the nor-cal group for a nice ride over the famous route 36 going the east to west route. It was still o'dark thirty and I was finishing strapping down my gear in front of our motel in Red Bluff ...

Hey, that's FJRay's favorite spot to drop his FJR...right after filling up his aux tank, too.

Me, I've got a favorite Subway in Idaho that I like to drop my bike... :D

It seems to me, that the OEMs should be able to engineer in crash protection for low or no speed drops. Mirrors that fold rather than break, plastic that does not hit the ground, levers and handlebars that survive, are just a few of the considerations that could be addressed at little or no additional cost. Why not?
My ST1300 has that whole issue solved with those horribly, hideously, indescribably ugly tip over wings on the lower fairing. The drawback is that they are so ugly most folks would rather do without them. At around $17 replacement costs, I am OK with ugly. Anyone who has seen my wife knows that ugly does not bother me!

It seems to me, that the OEMs should be able to engineer in crash protection for low or no speed drops. Mirrors that fold rather than break, plastic that does not hit the ground, levers and handlebars that survive, are just a few of the considerations that could be addressed at little or no additional cost. Why not?
My ST1300 has that whole issue solved with those horribly, hideously, indescribably ugly tip over wings on the lower fairing. The drawback is that they are so ugly most folks would rather do without them. At around $17 replacement costs, I am OK with ugly. Anyone who has seen my wife knows that ugly does not bother me!
Gonna disagree with u here... not on the wife thing! that's been addressed ;)

But the st1300 does not look that bad at all. Actually, most people won't even notice the "wings" sticking out to the sides! I put 16k miles on my ST1300 and never tested the "wings". But for something that most don't notice, and only 16 bucks (or so) to replace...

compare that to the VFR (any version!)... that you have to drill a hole in the (very expensive!) plastic to install frame sliders (controversial in ability to help) just to install them...

no, the st1300 works damn well in that regard.

Now... does the fat ass (80 lbs heavier than the feej!) track well at high speeds? Ask the cop that died in the UK passing a lorry that went into a tank slapper on that one...

I’ve never understood why other manufacturers don’t copy/reverse engineer Harley’s “jiffy stand” concept. When the bike’s weight is applied, the stand leg goes into a spring loaded locking detent and ain’t unlocking until the bike is deliberately lifted enough for the leg to clear the ground.
I know I'm reaching back here...
A few years ago a local police department switched from HDs to ST13s. I rolled up to one and asked how he liked it. He said it was nice to be able to leave the bike idling and not worry about it shaking itself off the kickstand...

Gonna disagree with u here... not on the wife thing! that's been addressed ;)

But the st1300 does not look that bad at all. Actually, most people won't even notice the "wings" sticking out to the sides! I put 16k miles on my ST1300 and never tested the "wings". But for something that most don't notice, and only 16 bucks (or so) to replace...

no, the st1300 works damn well in that regard.

Now... does the fat ass (80 lbs heavier than the feej!) track well at high speeds? Ask the cop that died in the UK passing a lorry that went into a tank slapper on that one...
Not to derail this thread but...

I like my ST1300. Alot. But I always say and everywhere Dad and I go, the FJR is by far the better looking bike. Only once have I ever been complimented on the looks of my ST, Dad gets compliments all the time. I have been asked several times, "What are those goofy/ugly looking wing things on the side?" I have dropped it enough that I stopped replacing them. :blink:

The English police officer died from a weave, rear swingarm induced. That issue has been resolved, just like the ground spider and ignition switch issue on the Gen 2. Unfortunately, a good man died to demonstrate there was an issue. The police versions carry their weight differently and there are specific differences between civilian and police versions in the pivot bolts and swingarm mounting shims. I have never ridden mine past an indicated 130 but it was quite solid at that speed. It is documented on st1300us.com that the ST will reach and hold 150mph indicated or 142 gps mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dropped it enough that I stopped replacing them. :blink:
So, ever think about working on getting past that? Not to pick on anyone, but from the viewpoint of an instructor that spends more weekends on a range than weekends riding...
A lot of times when a bike gets dropped, it's because the rider stopped unexpectedly with their head turned or looking down.

If your head's turned, probably the bars are too, which means if your feet aren't already down, the bike has some small degree of lean angle when it stops moving.

If your head is down or turned, it takes longer for you to realize you're off balance, a combination of no horizon reference and your inner ear being in a bad place to recognize you're unbalanced.

So the solution is to spend some time being focused on stopping with your head up and looking straight ahead. Go ahead and look for cross traffic at a stop, but before the bike stops rolling you need to be eyes front.

That won't remove the possibility of a low speed drop- but it should reduce it quite a lot.

The English police officer died from a weave, rear swingarm induced. That issue has been resolved, just like the ground spider and ignition switch issue on the Gen 2. Unfortunately, a good man died to demonstrate there was an issue. The police versions carry their weight differently and there are specific differences between civilian and police versions in the pivot bolts and and swingarm mounting shims.
I don't know about design differences, but the weight distribution and aerodynamic profile factors I can back. When Oregon State Police were going rounds with Honda about the issue, the Honda line was said "there's nothing wrong with the bike as delivered". Yeah, but that's not how they get ridden, is it? Add the radios, lights, siren, larger windshield, etc. and the high speed handling changes a lot.
And the swingarm issue may be resolved, but the high speed instability- for kitted police bikes- has not, or if it has, nobody around here is willing to risk it. C14s in police trim are becoming the popular alternative to BMWs.