Why does a bike turn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what I said about the rake/trail is what you said, when I said the initial countersteer doesn't stay there. What I said was the rake/trail combination steers the bike, not that it steers the wheel.
Camber thrust is a better description of what I was trying to say, but that in itself is a result of the rake/trail geometry, I think. Compare a huge chopper with the front wheel 5 feet out there, and it can only lean 15 degrees. How hard is that going to corner? There's an ideal rake in there somewhere, you certainly don't want vertical forks, and there's the right amount of trail, too. How those affect the bike in physics is a little over my head, but I'm thinking that what I said is not quite what you thought I said, so we're on the same page.

What you described, as the rake/trail combination trying to turn the wheel out of the turn is what I described when I said that you let off the handlebar pressure and the bike stands up by itself. You do maintain pressure on the bar on the side you want to turn towards, but you don't actually maintain counter-steer (wheel actually pointed the other way) as many people seem to think. The pressure keeps the wheel from straightening, but it's still steered very slightly towards to turn direction. Only on the initial tip-in is the steering head actually pointed the other way, and once lean is induced the wheel steers back into the turn. It does want to center so you hold pressure, but you don't hold an opposite angle on the steering head. That leads to road rash.
smile.png
It might well be that we're saying the same thing. Just to be clear, camber thrust is a consequence of the different diameters of the tire at right and left sides of the contact patch when the bike is leaned over (the original topic of this thread). They try to rotate at different speeds but can't so give a twist to the contact patch. This is what turns the handlebars to the right when you are leaned to the right. As soon as the camber thrust twists the contact patch to the right the contact patch starts to slip, generating a force to the right. This force is what turns the bike. But because it is applied behind the steering axis (because of trail), it also tries to turn the bars to the left.

On an ideally setup bike (for me) these forces balance and no input is needed from the rider once it is settled in a corner. On such a bike, you definitely have to lift the bike up out of the lean by countersteering. Bikes I've had that were like that were an SV650 and a CBR600RR. Since I wore the tires all the way across (I rode them only in the twisties) they stayed neutral as the tires wore. The FJR is pretty close to neutral on new Pilot Road 2s, but as the tires wear during straight-up riding you need more and more steering force to hold it down in a corner and it will lift up on its own as soon as I stop holding it down. The stock Metzlers needed to be held down in a corner even when new, and got really annoying when nearly worn out.

A neutral bike feels better to me, but I can see the point of setting it up to need to be held down in a corner. That gives you immediate feedback when the tire reaches the limit of traction and starts to slide, whereas with a neutral bike you need to detect the slide in other ways.

If you want something else to think about, consider the camber thrust from the rear wheel. It can't turn the swingarm, so it tries to turn the whole bike. I think it is a minor contrubuter to both turning the bike and (because of trail) steering the bike.

Early in this discussion an article by David Hough is referenced. The article is titled COMING UNGLUED. Now I happen to think Hough sits right up there beside God when it comes to the mechanics of MC riding. However, he says something in that article that bothers me. Here is a quote from that article:

Try riding the bike in a straight line while standing on the pegs. Get the bike up to 25 mph or so, and then lift your butt off the saddle, placing your weight equally on both footpegs. When that gets familiar, try loading more weight on one peg, and then on the other peg. To keep the bike in a straight line, you'll have to lean it bike away from the peg you're standing on. Remember, you control lean angle by countersteering�to lean the bike left, push on the left grip.

My problem is this sentence: Remember, you control lean angle by countersteering�…

My experience tells me that once I get the bike leaned over via countersteering, any minor steering corrections are not based on countersteering. To move to the left, I steer left and to move right, I steer to the right.

Comments please.

Early in this discussion an article by David Hough is referenced. The article is titled COMING UNGLUED. Now I happen to think Hough sits right up there beside God when it comes to the mechanics of MC riding. However, he says something in that article that bothers me. Here is a quote from that article:
Try riding the bike in a straight line while standing on the pegs. Get the bike up to 25 mph or so, and then lift your butt off the saddle, placing your weight equally on both footpegs. When that gets familiar, try loading more weight on one peg, and then on the other peg. To keep the bike in a straight line, you'll have to lean it bike away from the peg you're standing on. Remember, you control lean angle by countersteering�to lean the bike left, push on the left grip.

My problem is this sentence: Remember, you control lean angle by countersteering�…

My experience tells me that once I get the bike leaned over via countersteering, any minor steering corrections are not based on countersteering. To move to the left, I steer left and to move right, I steer to the right.

Comments please.
If you can lean the bike and steer it, you're doing it right. ;)

Anyway, it's my feeling that I countersteer to get the bike leaning to turn. From there, if I want to turn more right I have to press the right grip more. More left press the left grip more.

It's interesting, though. A friend posted a video a few years back with a GoPro attached low to the side of his bike where the viewer could clearly see his front wheel. Then he proceeded up a crooked road, and in the video it looks for all the world like he's steering into the corners with his front wheel. Another young friend emailed me wanting to know "How the heck's he doing that?" ;) In truth, I think the countersteer to set up the lean is so brief that it's hardly noticeable on the video. While he's rolling through the corner the front wheel is turn with the corner. But if he wanted to lean more to tighten the turn he'd still need to press the inside bar. Or to open up the turn a little or exit the turn, he'd need to press the outside bar.

Yes, you do steer the wheel into the turn, but only after you get it leaned over. Unlike on a two or 3 wheeled vehicle, when on two wheels you need to get some lean angle before you you steer into the corner or else you'll just flop over the wrong way. It's definitely a two part process.

The initial counter steering gets the bike leaned over in the direction that you want to go. Then your front wheel will want to fall in, pointed into the direction of the turn (sometimes only slightly) as you navigate around the corner. The effect is amplified when you are going slower and/or want to turn in a faster radius, but the mechanics are always the same.

When going fast and you want to turn sharper you will need more lean angle, so you countersteer more (push the inside bar) to get added lean angle, which will allow you to turn the bike quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gyroscopic procession... when a force is put on a rotating mass (gyro or in this case the front wheel) the result of the force is 90* in the direction of rotation. In other words... if you put a force on the handlebars (gently push the left bar forward) the force is put at the back of the wheel. The result is a force at the top of the wheel 90* later trying to push it over. Then the bike has to lean and turn to keep it from falling over...hence a turn.

Any other pilots here? This should sound familiar...

We used to do countersteering exercises on a parking lot with painted lines. We'd ride down a line toward a group of students, then swerve to the right. The students could see the bike on the line and see the front wheel veer to the rider's left off the line before crossing it again in a turn to the rider's right.

Regarding Slardy's comments in Post 62, which really brought this old thread to life again, I've played with my FJR on mildly curving roads in my area. I can set the cruise at a moderate speed and ride down a crooked road by just pushing on the ends of the bars with my fingertips. I can ride toward a right-hand corner with my hands off the bars, and push with my fingertip on the right bar to turn into the corner. If I turn too much and need to straighten back to the left, I must push on the left bar. If I don't steer enough to the right and need to adjust I must push again, or harder, on the right bar.

Your comment below, if I understand it correctly, seems to imply that once in a turn you simply steer through it like you would a car or 3-wheeler. In my opinion, that's not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
...cause it behaves like a carrot.
fool.gif
Or so Lee Parks would have you believe.
So many years ago when I was new here, I got caught up in a rather spirited discussion about why a bike leans. I got royally trounced on (and maybe deserving so) when I voiced my *erroneous* opinion.

Anyhow, the other day, I was reading Total Control by Lee Parks (trying to learn more about the science of suspension) and came across a passage about turning that after days I still cannot come to grips with. He states on page 28 "...the outside edge of the contact patch has a larger circumference than the inside edge of the contact patch. " He compares this to a Styrofoam laid on its side and pushed forward. The cup will turn due to the smaller diameter of the base of the cup.

I'm not even going to elaborate on why I think that is way wrong. But, I've been wrong before. Just wanted to hear what you guys think.
Well I'm a bit late to this thread, but after reading it was about a comment from Lee Parks, it got my attention. I have Lee Parks book Total Control, have met Lee Parks and attended his Total Control Riding Clinic. From that I could not remember having the same chuckle as I did when I read in your thread "He compares this to a Styrofoam laid on its side and pushed forward. The cup will turn due to the smaller diameter of the base of the cup".

I just cannot grasp the relationship of comparison between a Styrofoam cup laid on it's side and the increased contact area circumference of a front tire when turning. If the Styrofoam cup had the same effect of a rubber tire under the weight of a motorcycle which flattens it to a certain degree (forming the contact patch), then I would think at the larger diameter of the cup (at the mouth edge) would have a larger contact patch than the smaller diameter edge at the base and therefore greater friction creating greater drag and therefore turning towards the larger diameter of the mouth, opposite to his point using his Styrofoam example.

Regardless, the quote in the OP is not in my copy of Total Control. I think my copy is the first addition and there appears to be at least a second edition (maybe more), which is probably where the quote comes from on page 28. Nonetheless, I believe the quote is correct and I did get a chuckle out of what Lee Parks said. I do agree the increased contact patch will effect turning, but cannot do so until the bike is leaned substantially and then the bike is already into the turn, or going into the turn by counter-steering and other forces, such as drag.

I agree with the member stating all the motions effecting a turn/steering is much more complex the more we drill down into it. I also agree with those who prefer to know how we get turned, not necessarily ever facet of what is happening, and just enjoy riding.

For me, when I want to turn left, pick out the line in/out, shift my body, brake to entrance speed, initially steer right, maintain trail braking, when in the turn slight steering adjustments to keep the line, slight and steady increase on the throttle, then to recover steer left to upright the bike following the line, release the trail braking and twist the throttle open, center my body, enjoy the trill. Counter-steer to get in the turn, counter-steer to get out, pretty simple, let the current conditions, the tires, the suspension, and my nerve determine how tight I can successfully turn today!

But, I have to admit, I enjoy learning about suspension tuning, tire geometrics, rake and trail, CG's, centrifugal and gyroscopic forces, etc. having to do with bike, cars and airplanes, even if I don't totally understand all the science/math. So I enjoyed reading this thread to learn from others.

But, I have to admit, I enjoy learning about suspension tuning, tire geometrics, rake and trail, CG's, centrifugal and gyroscopic forces, etc. having to do with bike, cars and airplanes, even if I don't totally understand all the science/math. So I enjoyed reading this thread to learn from others.
That's what piqued my interest on this subject as well; I just wanted to better understand why.Way back when and I was new to this forum, I participated in a thread similar to this one and subsequently got raked over the coals for what I said and how I stated it. I was however wrong - or at least partially - in that a bike leaned because of gyroscopic precession (that is, a force applied to a spinning disc manifests itself as a force applied 90 degrees in the direction of rotation of the disc - anyone who has flown a tail-dragger aircraft knows of this phenomenon well), and a bike remains upright due to gyroscopic rigidity in space.

Since that time I have done a lot of reading on the subject. I've concluded that people have a tendency to believe the written word from sources they know little about all to often. That doesn't mean it's true. There's nothing keeping anyone of us from writing a book and having it published and some noob taking every word as gospel when it's all gibberish. Having said that, Lee Parks is not just 'one of us'..but it doesn't mean either that he is infallible. Carl Sagan can publish a book and the next day Hawking can call bullpoop just as easy. I don't think it's wrong for anyone to question what they read - or at least ask for more of an explanation when the given one is insufficient.

Regarding the specific topic at hand...Not unlike why bees fly and who built the pyramids, there seems to be some disagreement (or at least discrepancies) among the more persuasive sources of knowledge. I think I've even read somewhere that it's really not completely understood. I guess it's plausible, we still don't entirely know why tornadoes form or why wintergreen Lifesavers throw sparks when you chew on them. But what Lee described as an explanation why a bike turns doesn't compute with me on many levels. Since originally posting this, I have considered an explanation that somewhat jives with how Sparks explains it. It's no so much the different radii of the inner and outer part of the contact patch as it is the circumference of the wheel relative to the tilt of the axis of rotation - if that doesn't completely sound like verbal diarrhea. If you imagine a beach ball with a rod stuck through it (an axle) and you're leaning on the rod pushing the ball forward. If you tilt the axle and continue to push, you can visualize the beach ball now rotating in a different direction relative to the forward movement. Now, if the ball is deformed where it contacts the ground, that part of the ball (the contact patch) that is closest to the part of the axle closer to the ground has less circumference and would therefore pull the ball to the inside of the turn. Seems like it would follow that the same thing happens on a bike tire which would support what Spark writes. But the question that I cannot seem to reconcile is 'is this due to the deformation of the tire?' If you took the same scenario only substituted a perfectly spherical steel ball such that there was only a single point in space in contact with the ground, would the ball still turn towards the tilt of the axis?

Maybe I should just stop thinking about it.

I'm far more the operator than the designer and quite the layman when it comes to the questions and answers in this thread. I do know (or at least I think I know), modern designed airplanes are similar to modern designed motorcycles, in that airplane tend to continue straight and level flight and motorbikes tend to continue straight down the road until some type of force is applied to change that. Rudder, ailerons. and elevator in the airplane, handlebar movement in the motorcycle as well as any acceleration or de-acceleration, will change the direction, stability.

Even though I get a kick out of his Styrofoam example, Lee Parks is a nice guys and good instructor. I think he makes a much better coach than instructor, but that is me and I'm sure others feel he is an excellent instructor/teacher. I enjoyed time with him sharing it with other students and what he was able to coach me through on the range.

"Maybe I should just stop thinking about it" I think you are definitely on to something there. These discussions are enjoyable on some days like today, but when the wind calms down, the rain stops and the sun shines, I just want to ride! Now that I dug out my copy of Total Control, perhaps I should re-read the section on suspension tuning and re-educate myself!

Also I agree (lots of hours in conventional gear airplanes), although gyroscopic force is not the primary cause of a bike turning, it has an effect.

^^^^^ Hahahahahahaha! 115 pages of discussion on that link! (Sounds like they over-analyze as much as we do!)

You guys are much more civilized toward each other than on other forums with this subject matter...
If you want a good laugh, check this out:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1141219-counter-steering.html

Happy Thursday!

Shane
I liked the opening post where he said that pushing down isn't working so well for him anymore. I went for years thinking I was pushing down on one side to make it lean. After reading about countersteering I came to realize that I was pushing down AND FORWARD. Then I experimented and figured out that up and forward worked too, but if felt a bit clumsy. ;)

Master Po once told me:

The bike turns because that is its destiny. If turning is not its destiny, it will not turn and you will hit the damn tree.

Don't drift from the technical discussion or the whole thread (including the good technical stuff) will get moved to NEPRT.

Kind of surprised it's not there already...

One of the books I read when I got back into riding talked about "something like" having a bike with steering locked straight ahead. Sounds impossible to ride, so I need to see if I can find it.