Why install brake pads as a set?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
From the service manual:

"Always install new brake pads, brake pad shims, and a brake pad spring as a set."

From the parts fiche it would appear that the shims are included with new pads. The pad spring is shown as a separate item.

One (inside left) of the four front pads on my '04 is worn more than the others. I've moved them about trying to equalize wear which must have extended their life.

I'm unsure why it's necessary to replace them in pairs? I'll likely just buy one pair and install them in the max wear positions and use the best of the old pads in the other two positions. The pistons should easily adjust to unequal pads and there shouldn't be an issue.

The Yamaha pads are available from my vendor for $31.70. I'll include them with a tire purchase and get free shipping.

I would sure think that as long as the thinnest pad was still within specs and worn evenly across the pad and you kept the same brand/composition on all pads on that wheel you should be ok. To me common sense would say that as long as you are within specs on the used pad, having the other pad way above minimum spec would not have a downside.

Quote Constant Mesh: I'm unsure why it's necessary to replace them in pairs?

My guess: The rationale is to make sure the material is compatible between inner and outer pads, the reason is the seller makes more money when you buy pairs.

Since they clearly wear at different rates, it can't be to ensure they last the same length of time.

You'll find the front pads wear unevenly and some will be quite worn while at least one appears near new. I do replace them all at once typically, but in a pinch to go on a long ride when I couldn't get replacements fast enough, I've swapped them so the thick one swapped with the thinnest, etc.

Brakes are pretty important IMO. I, for one, prefer to have new and identical brake pads, etc., bearing on both sides of my rotors after I go through the process of changing them out. I don't go cheap skate on brakes or tires. You might not get into trouble if you couple a used pad with a new one in a given caliper, but it seems poor economy to me. WBill

Some of it may also be a way to address service costs. If you're paying someone for a pad replacement, doing them as a set invokes on R&R labor cost instead of having to go back in and pay labor for the other pads sooner than if you'd have had them all done at once.

Also, worn brakes may act differently than new ones; glazing and such.

I'm with those who don't run tires to the cords or play what-if with my brakes.

Some of it may also be a way to address service costs. If you're paying someone for a pad replacement, doing them as a set invokes on R&R labor cost instead of having to go back in and pay labor for the other pads sooner than if you'd have had them all done at once.

Also, worn brakes may act differently than new ones; glazing and such.

I'm with those who don't run tires to the cords or play what-if with my brakes.
+1 I totally agree.

Tires and brakes, not a place I would choose to save a buck.

Since a set of pads runs around $34. why take a chance on using a worn pad.

My FJR is equipped with an ABS system and I want it to function to its fullest potential when or if needed.