Why Should I Purge Brakes, ABS & Clutch Regularly?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with my clutch first. Connect my catch bottle to the bleeder, crack it loose 1/4 turn. Open up the clutch reservoir. I have a small syringe to empty the old fluid from the reservoir. Clean it out. Pour in new fluid and drop a coin in the reservoir. This will prevent the upward "squirt" if you go too fast. SLOWLY squeeze the lever. Don't go crazy our you will have fluid all over your bike. I cover my bike with rags whilst bleeding. Paint, plastic and brake fluid are enemies.You have to watch the reservoir level as you go, don't pump air into the system. Tighten the bleeder when you get new clear fluid coming thru your catch hose into your catch container. Remove the coin.
Addendum.

It looked bad...didn't it?

I'll bet that 6 year old fluid looked nasty!

Yes, it was bad but not near as bad as I would have thought. Not much different than two year old fluid. And no degradation of the brakes - lever firmness or operation. And of course the clutch fluid was much darker and the entire clutch reservoir had nasty dark residue all over it.

I started with my clutch first. Connect my catch bottle to the bleeder, crack it loose 1/4 turn. Open up the clutch reservoir. I have a small syringe to empty the old fluid from the reservoir. Clean it out. Pour in new fluid and drop a coin in the reservoir. This will prevent the upward "squirt" if you go too fast. SLOWLY squeeze the lever. Don't go crazy our you will have fluid all over your bike. I cover my bike with rags whilst bleeding. Paint, plastic and brake fluid are enemies.You have to watch the reservoir level as you go, don't pump air into the system. Tighten the bleeder when you get new clear fluid coming thru your catch hose into your catch container. Remove the coin.
Addendum.
+1 If you use a Canadian quarter (which is worth about 3 cents these days), you can fish it out with a magnet, 'cuz they're not made of copper like them 'Mericun ones..... or get a slug from an electrical box.