widen the brake pedal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infrared

Reaction score
Near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III.
Not sure if this the right forum, but . . .

I would like to get more of my foot onto the brake pedal, but due to a long-forgotten war, that is not happening, for me. The brake pedal position looks fine, so the lever is not bent, and I would not want it to be bent. I do not need the pedal any higher or any more forward, just maybe an inch or more wider. Google can find me some large H-D pedals, but they are ridiculous in width and appearance. I just need to add a little width to the pedal, not a lot.

Any advice or sources would be welcome.

Cheers,

Infrared

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a small local machine shop and see if they can fab something up from a piece of scrap aluminum. You'd need to drill a hole in the center of the stock pedal and drill the larger "replacement" pedal to use a countersunk head bolt. Attach the new larger pedal over the top of the stocker with a bolt and nylon locknut. Easy-peasy.You may need to knock the ridges off the stock pedal with a dremel tool to get a nice flush fit. I work for a Harley dealer and we've done something like this on Sportsters for whcih Harley doesn't offer a bigger pedal.

I'll hop on the topic. Having MCL lowering foot pegs pushes out them out and inch or so and makes you have to have wrench booth feet inward pretty good to get onto the shifter peg and brake pedal. Is there an extension for the shifter peg to make it longer?

You also might PM JimieJimie on this forum. He built a wider foot brake extension for our friend Leo that looks like it was stock from Yamaha. Jim has since changed jobs but the might still have the cad drawing.

I was lazy and just put mine in the press and adjusted it.
smile.png

Not the best picture. It was intended to show the Canyon Cages. I'll try to post something better after I wander out to the shop tomorrow.

It is a piece of aluminum about 0.25 inch thick, 1.5 inches wide and about 3 inches long. It protrudes about 1.75 - 2 inches further out than the stock pedal. (All measurements are from memory, which means there is a 50% chance that they are half wrong) I have non-skid tape on top. It is affixed to the stock pedal by two small screws with nylock nuts that go thru two holes I drilled in the stock pedal. The screws are inset into the top of the extension. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it works well. I have not missed the pedal as I was sometimes doing after I installed the peg lowering kit, and I am not dragging the brake due to inadvertently placing pressure on the new pedal.

IMG_0930_zps150c458b.jpg

Recently I purchased a wheel vice from an SBR (South Bay Rider) forum member Robert Haas. His work is exquisite! If you pm him and tell him what you want I'm sure he will fix you up! Just pop off the lever and ship it out to him. I can't say enough about this fellow and the quality of his work! "Tyler" here on the forum has spoken of him and only has very nice things to say about him as a person and the quality of his work! The only down side is I think he "under charges" for his work? He would probably accept a donation to the cause he is most ardent about! MDA! Worth a shot!

I was considering just bending the lever out some ...either way it would not be good if the pedal touched down in the twisties..

I was considering just bending the lever out some ...either way it would not be good if the pedal touched down in the twisties..
Attach the plate using two screws. The inboard one would be a fairly heavy (5mm?) metal screw/nut. Use a nylon screw for the outboard one. In the event of a touchdown, the outboard nylon will snap and the plate will pivot on the inboard metal fastener. Under normal use, the nylon outer screw should not have a lot of stress on it so should hold up OK as long as the inboard screw is well tightened. Just a thought...

Interesting.. never heard of anyone wanting to widen the pedal but I can reason why.

My issue is it hurts the leg like hell to keep the foot positioned over the pedal, but it's a height thing, not width issue.