Wider rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the rear rubber be upgraded to a 200mm tire (with a corresponding decrease in profile) without any clearance problems?
There's not a lot of room between the tire edge and the driveshaft tube.

Plus it would likely require more effort to turn-in at corners.

But, it's your bike....

A 190 section tire will fit, but it's close to the stock brake stay. Mounted one up for a friend, he ran it out and then went back to the standard size. Heavier handling with no improvement in mileage...which is what he was after.

--G

To what effect? No gains, questionable clearance problems; appears Yamaha put the right/optimal size on in the first place.

To what effect? No gains, questionable clearance problems; appears Yamaha put the right/optimal size on in the first place.
Many of my friends tried that on their various bikes.

Result : Great loss in handling&cornering , less brake efficiency (especially bikes with ABS ). Visually I am also into bikes with huge rear tires but wont worth it in my opinion.

The C14 comes w/ a 190 size as OEM. A few have changed to the 180 and say 'wow it's now a better handling bike' ;)

I've been running METZLER 880; 170/60/17 tried all brands but this is BEST for me; Best in MILAGE &WEAR; handling seems quicker :)
Have you used the michelen pr2? Is so what's the mileage and handling differences? I loved the 880 on my Roadstar.
Handling seems quicker; PR2 mileage was 4500-5000 rear; roadsmart 5000; all had matching fronts, changed in SETS; went back to 880's F&R 4sets so far can't find a better setup for my Riding R=7-8000mi rear,front still has wear but I change it as a SET!

My riding mainly 2 lanes: dislike multi-lane freeways; the more turns the better :yahoo:

The OEM POS BT020 that came on my '06 measured exactly a fat 190 mm-it was a 180 spec. The 190 spec PR2 on there now measures exactly 190 mm. The 180 spec PR2 that I just mounted on my friends FJR measures 180 mm. Obviously narrower than Mamaha's factory tire. I'm sure a 190 handles slower that a 180 and Lorenzo might notice. A 190 has a slightly smaller circumference which means faster acceleration and Gadsen might notice that. Most tire manufacturers list a 5.5 inch rim as an acceptable fitment for a 190 but not for a 200. You could always send your wheel to Kozman to be widened and meebee stuff a 240 in there. Or put on a CT but your balz will fall off. Also, Avon tyres tend to run wider than other brands..

Can the rear rubber be upgraded to a 200mm tire (with a corresponding decrease in profile) without any clearance problems?
There's not a lot of room between the tire edge and the driveshaft tube.

Plus it would likely require more effort to turn-in at corners.

But, it's your bike....
I had a 300 on my last MC looked cool but turned like shit. I wouldn't do it yea looks cool but ride quality will suffer alot.

I'm running a 205/50 on my '04...although it IS a car tire, a 200 series motorcycle tire should fit just fine.
So what your saying is that your are smarter than the chassis engineering team at Yamaha?
Yeah, probably.

....and my grammar is much more betterer than yours. :rofl:

Also, I don't suffer from "RCS" like some forum members do. Here's the original question from the thread starter:

The question was will it fit. The answer is "yes". The question had nothing to do whether the handling or vehicle dynamics would be compromised.

Your attempt at condescension was magnificent. Thank you for your efforts.

'Howie

Last edited by a moderator:
My grammar and writing skills suck--it's true. But I stand by my magnificent attempt at condescension--with all due respect, you sir are an idiot running a car tire on a motorcycle. I know this issue has been debated endlessly on this and other forums, but in the end the combination of car tires and motorcycles is (or should that be “are”, please correct) unsafe.

As a professional motorcycle trainer (not MSF based training) and contract provider for all branches of the military when riders show up for advanced motorcycle training riding a bike equipped with either race tires, or automotive tires are not allowed to participate because it just plain unsafe.

My grammar and writing skills suck--it's true. But I stand by my magnificent attempt at condescension--with all due respect, you sir are IN MY OPINION an idiot running a car tire on a motorcycle. I know this issue has been debated endlessly on this and other forums, but in the end the combination of car tires and motorcycles is (or should that be “are”, please correct) IN MY OPINION unsafe.

As a professional motorcycle trainer (not MSF based training) and contract provider for all branches of the military when riders show up for advanced motorcycle training riding a bike equipped with either race tires, or automotive tires are not allowed to participate because it IN MY OPINION just plain unsafe.
Fixed it for ya! :glare:

I wanted to put a wider tire on my 05 as well. At first I said, CT?... NO WAY. I spent a month reading ALL of the darksider thread. So I took the chance that 100k miles of combined experience by 40 FJR riders might be worth something. I just completed my "See America" tour, having put another 4k miles on the Exalto. I ran it at 80 in Michigan rain, through the mountains the Carolinas, 105 degree temps in South Ga., and a spirited 250 mile ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway. It even did well on the curves sprinkled with fresh grass clippings there. Safety? I learned that wet weather traction was excellent, and never had a moment's trouble with it, except for a drywall screw right in the center of the tread. Plugged the tire about 2k miles back, and haven't had any problems with it since. And the best part, after 6500 miles of hard use, it still looks like the day I put it on.

Glad I wasn't so quick to rule out the dark side.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts