Wife Still Down but not Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful news, John, and CONGRATULATIONS Sharon. But PLEASE don't have it be the last time you update us here on how she's doing. We like GOOD news too, ya know.

(Maybe edit the title of the thread if you can, too.) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, outstanding news!!! That is truly wonderful to hear.

I agree with Mike, good news is always welcome.

:)

Wonderful news, John, and CONGRATULATIONS Sharon. But PLEASE don't have it be the last time you update us here on how she's doing. We like GOOD news too, ya know.

(Maybe edit the title of the thread if you can, too.) :)
edit the title: as I understand, the poster has to have 500 posts to qualify and boomer's is in the 300's

but a PM to an admin like Galaxyblue Adam requesting to do it for you I'm positive would get 'er done

I agree with Mike, good news is always welcome.
wow, a perfect day :yahoo:

I'm immediately buying a lottery ticket :)

with a bit of trepidation as you (John) and Sharon are often on my mind. I felt forced to say a prayer and post this request for an update.

I'm so hoping for continued good news and still smile over a pink walker !!!

with the BESTEST of wishes,

Mike

To Mike and all who have followed Sharon and I in this battle against cancer, I am sorry to report that Sharon passed away in our home on June 21st. She entered the hospital on May 19 after a fall. She had become very weak and experienced some confusion. On May 24th, the Dr. told her we did have the cancer under control but that her toleranace for the chemo was just no longer there. He said if she chose he would continue to treat her with another drug but its side effects were much worse. She elected not to continue and we went home.

She was placed on hospice on May 27th. Even as she was dying she kept her same positive attitude and each day would set herself some little goal to accomplish. She did that until the last week. My 2 children and her sister worked shifts during the last month to insure there were always 2 of us present. We medicated her every 2 hours to give some relief from the pain. She never complained right to the very last day and would thank us for whatever we did. I had my last conversation with her 3 days before she died. One of her comments was "I would like to go for a motorcyle ride". I cried like a baby at that because she only traveled on the bike because she knew I loved it so much. For her it was always about her family right to the very end.

I want to thank all of you on this forum for all your kind words and prayers. We had 49 1/2 years of marriage and 4 1/2 years of courtship before that. They were 54 years of a great life. I will not get another bike because if I went down and was severly injured my kids would have to take care of me. After what we all went through I just cannot do that to them. I had a close call on wet pavement at SFO 2 years ago so I know it can happen. Everyone take care and again thanks for all the support for Sharon and our family. God bless you all.

John

To Mike and all who have followed Sharon and I in this battle against cancer, I am sorry to report that Sharon passed away in our home on June 21st. She entered the hospital on May 19 after a fall. She had become very weak and experienced some confusion. On May 24th, the Dr. told her we did have the cancer under control but that her toleranace for the chemo was just no longer there. He said if she chose he would continue to treat her with another drug but its side effects were much worse. She elected not to continue and we went home.

She was placed on hospice on May 27th. Even as she was dying she kept her same positive attitude and each day would set herself some little goal to accomplish. She did that until the last week. My 2 children and her sister worked shifts during the last month to insure there were always 2 of us present. We medicated her every 2 hours to give some relief from the pain. She never complained right to the very last day and would thank us for whatever we did. I had my last conversation with her 3 days before she died. One of her comments was "I would like to go for a motorcyle ride". I cried like a baby at that because she only traveled on the bike because she knew I loved it so much. For her it was always about her family right to the very end.

I want to thank all of you on this forum for all your kind words and prayers. We had 49 1/2 years of marriage and 4 1/2 years of courtship before that. They were 54 years of a great life. I will not get another bike because if I went down and was severly injured my kids would have to take care of me. After what we all went through I just cannot do that to them. I had a close call on wet pavement at SFO 2 years ago so I know it can happen. Everyone take care and again thanks for all the support for Sharon and our family. God bless you all.

John
ah John, I hate this particular preminition and am shedding tears, both at your loss and at your beautiful post and memories.

I can offer continued prayer at the large adjustment of loss which will take quite some time; please find something enjoyable to do with your time. I'm happy at your family support which will continue on. "motorcycle ride !!! :) " I dunno, you may change your mind and maybe a bit of you is open to that...you do have Sharon's blessing to crack open the riding door, but your decision, hesitation, & concern is completely understandable. Just find something therapeutic you enjoy to lift your spirits of joy which is important. Maybe find something that serves others. Riding happens to be mine and I can't seem to walk away from it. It's especially special because of the PGR and CMA involvement.

If you'd like to post a fav pic of Sharon, it would make me happy to remember her as a special ministry through the forum.

God Bless You with Peace and Healing in the days and months ahead; no need to be a stranger here in the future IMHO.

I hope you might travel through Nawlins' so I can buy you a seafood dinner and your fav beverage one day.

Mike

Mike thank you and maybe one of these days I will take you up on your offer for that seafood dinner. I do not know if you remember me from SFO 2 years ago but we did do one ride together on Saturday if my memmory serves me right. I especially remember your rig which had everything a person could add to a bike although I did not find the kitchen sink but still bellieve it is there somewhere.

I will try to come up with a picture of Sharon that is suitable. This past month has been harder than I could have ever have imagined. I guess the finality of her passing has hit so hard it is almost incomprehensible to me. After watching her suffer so long I thought her death might bring us both peace. For her yes, me not so much. I keep hoping that each day will make it a little easier but I guess it is going to take a lot longer than I expected. I hope to get back to my woodcarving which I have not done in over a year and a half. I also plan on getting a sports car in place of the bike. I have already given my pickup to my grandson which made him very happy. My carving cannot start until I can get some ideas for things to carve. I do realistic animals and miniture carousel animals primarily. I do know that life goes on but I am still having a little trouble getting kick started. Again thanks Mike as you have been especially supportive over these past months.

John

:( :( :(

My condolences to you on losing your precious wife. Having lost my mom to cancer, I know have an inkling as to how hard those last days can be.

Again, very sorry for your loss. You know you will be in my thoughts and prayers for brighter days ahead. Remember all the good times you had with her, I am sure there were many.

Last edited by a moderator:
rig... :lol:

my addiction is still going strong with more stuff since then...lotsa lights and now sound system

I'm thinking that was 2009, I do remember riding SFO in the rain and the nice lunch at that lil diner...I remember a bit of pucker with a bunch of horses in the road after a gentle curve...Robert was leading and I was tail gunner with both of us on CB which I think was the ride. The weather had me just stay around the motel on Sunday. Course these days, I don't remember last week or what day it is !!!

be patient with yourself, John...my own experience was watching my Mom grieve losing my Dad unexpectily one morning to a big heart attack...boom, he was gone

it took her well over a year to be close to the person she was before from my vantage point...with Patriot Guard, I am close to some Gold Star families, and it's a long time grieving from losing their sons to war.

Mom would say she thought Dad would come through the door and she dreamed about him. His clothes still hung in the closet for many, many months until she finally could come to give them to Goodwill and her church's charity sale for someone else to enjoy.

I want to see a pic of an elephant in wood (Dumbo)...ever done a porpoise (Flipper)...

I don't know if you are into dogs to carve...but I am big time (basset hounds) and a lot of others are...

Just silly ideas as I am not gifted with any kind of sculpure and only barely can draw/paint.

Know you can always call or email me if you like...will PM my contact info just in case...

affectionately,

Mike

Our thoughts go with you Fjrboomer .................. We can only imagine the hurt you feel.

The good memories will always outweigh the bad .. focus there and let time do it's thing.

Rog n Deb

Thanks guys for your words of encouragement. My wife and I had many good time and those will be remembered. I have carved for over 18 years and most are original pieces. I do have a request from my daughter to do a carving of my granddaughter's dog that is a Snoodle, 1/2 Poodle and 1/2 Schnauzer. Before I can do anything I will have to sharpen all the tools. When you let them sit unused for so long they become dull. It is a slow process when you need to do them all to insure you keep a proper angle on the edges. Right now I am spending a lot of time dealing with estate matters. Her mother died less than a month before Sharon which has complicated thing somewhat.

Mike I lost my father, mother and stepmother. Only my mother died unexpectedly. I experienced great loss with each but nothing like I am experiencing with the loss of Sharon. I know it will take a long time to get through the process of grieving her loss but that does not make it any easier for me. What I can tell everyone on this forum is sit down with your partner and discuss those things you would like to do while you can actually do them. There were things we wanted to do but did not set a priority of actually doing them when we could.

John