Wilbers Question....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaCBX6

Reaction score
I am purchasing a used (barely) Wilbers shock and springs from an individual selling his FJR. He is a healthy guy, 245#. Are they set-up differently initially for weight? Meaning would I need to send it to Klaus and have it re-done? Or can the pre-load be adjusted for my weight (185#). Is there valving to be done or anything like that?

And I will also get the front springs... Is there a difference in pre-load from a stock spring? If so what?

Thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Klaus before you go resetting it. There may be enough adjustment, but with 60 lbs of difference, you might need a different spring.

As far as the front spring, start with the stock factory settings and slowly work your way to a comfortable setting for you.

Many had 2 issues with the Willyshock. They sent in info with too light a weight shown, and/or the spring sent was too light. You may be just right if either/both of these occurred. It's tough to compress the spring enough to support more weight than the design allowed for without removing a lot of the travel, but it's easy to reduce preload to make up for a stiff spring without reducing ride height too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am purchasing a used (barely) Wilbers shock and springs from an individual selling his FJR. He is a healthy guy, 245#. Are they set-up differently initially for weight? Meaning would I need to send it to Klaus and have it re-done? Or can the pre-load be adjusted for my weight (185#). Is there valving to be done or anything like that?
And I will also get the front springs... Is there a difference in pre-load from a stock spring? If so what?

Thanks

John
Honda,

Like radman said , there's been a few folks not happy with Wilbers " custom " setup. There are " supposed " to be setup according to rider weight. There's been a few of us that had to send the shock or spring back to get up dated to a stronger spring. The problem was that when trying to set up the shock for solo riding we had to use up half or more of the preload adjustment, when two up and loaded the preload was maxed out and the spring was out of adjustment, proper sag was unobtainable.

The shocks not hard to install there's a write up both here and on FJRTECH. I'd install it as is and see if you can set your sag properly. Being it was set up for 245#'s , you may need only a click or two of preload to dial the shock in, since your only 185#.

The front springs are almost the same spring rate as the stockers, but are two inches longer, creating an instant preload difference.

Jimlor,

you have it backwards, reducing preload allows the bike to sag more, therefore decreasing ride height.

Her's a site I been useing for a few years when I overthink myself :rolleyes:

https://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcyc...sion_set-up.htm

Thanks Highlander....Exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to get it! I remember that they were set up light from past talk. So I figured it may be in range for my weight. I vary up to 200# depending on time of year too.

I have already installed two rear shocks on other riders bikes here in MPLS area. So I won't have a problem doing it. It should be easy by now! I like practicing on other bikes before I work on mine! :eek: ) And the last person who stopped by for a bit of service bought me a WestCo battery! It is almost better than taking cash or beer. A few weeks after playing around a new battery shows up in the mail!

With the forks springs longer, was it difficult to compress? I have had to get creative in the past. Is there a trick/technique for the fork springs?

John

Thanks HIGHLANDER. This was discussed in the Total Control class and not actually remembering I turned to logic - reduce preload and the spring gets longer hence the bike rises. I guess to follow the logic trail further (farther?) -- reduce preload, spring longer, spring will compress more when you stick your (my) fat ass on it. So, reduce = reduce height//increase = increase height.

Thanks again, and thanks for the link.

Jim

With the forks springs longer, was it difficult to compress? I have had to get creative in the past. Is there a trick/technique for the fork springs?
John
The springs are longer, and that you will have to compress the springs a bit to screw the fork cap back on. Takes a few attempts to get the threads started. Make sure both your preload and compression adjustments are backed all the way out before you start.

These don't address Wilbers but are good reading material before you start.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=47

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/forkdis.html

Latest posts