Wilbers Rear Preload

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fjrvtx1300s replied You need to be on the centerstand to adjust the preload adjuster while I was still typing. Dang, I'm gettin' slow :lol:

Yes, it's on the centerstand. But you made me go and check just to be sure that's where it was when I made adjustments.. What I found is this, when I turn it down (-) it goes a quarter turn and stops. When I turn it up (+) it provides some resistance, whereas before I didn't force it. It does turn and provides audilble clicks as I increase it.

It makes sense now. It was factory preset for my solo riding requirements, and I can adjust it upwards for baggage/Pillion requirements. I was just reluctant to push it past the resistance.

Thanks for the quick response. My confusion is mainly due to the fact that I'm an ex Harley rider, I found the FJR and never looked back. But we never had this kind of equipment in the HD world ... :blink:

Yes, it's on the centerstand. But you made me go and check just to be sure that's where it was when I made adjustments.. What I found is this, when I turn it down (-) it goes a quarter turn and stops. When I turn it up (+) it provides some resistance, whereas before I didn't force it. It does turn and provides audilble clicks as I increase it.
It makes sense now. It was factory preset for my solo riding requirements, and I can adjust it upwards for baggage/Pillion requirements. I was just reluctant to push it past the resistance.

Thanks for the quick response. My confusion is mainly due to the fact that I'm an ex Harley rider, I found the FJR and never looked back. But we never had this kind of equipment in the HD world ... :blink:
Kinda like learning to lean in turns, that kinda thing, eh? A whole new world out there my son..... :D

Yea Radman, that kinda thing. Until the FJR, I thought a twisty was something you closed a bread bag with! :p

Skyway,

What value in the description of my spring refers to the KG? You're happy with an 11.0, from a .95 ?? That sounds like a 10.05 difference of something using the new math. Mine is a 59/59-100-165 but I see no kg valve.

Klaus told me to compress the spring, and raise the hard preload by 4.5 mm and try it again...we'll see

So, how do you increase the preload 4.5mm with the remote preload adjuster?

do you turn to the (+) or the (-) ?

is a click a mm?

Skyway,
What value in the description of my spring refers to the KG? You're happy with an 11.0, from a .95 ?? That sounds like a 10.05 difference of something using the new math. Mine is a 59/59-100-165 but I see no kg valve.

Klaus told me to compress the spring, and raise the hard preload by 4.5 mm and try it again...we'll see
Just now saw this. :unsure:

Your spring being a 10.0 is 2 sizes below the 11.0, with a 10.5 being inbetween. The 100 value in your shock description refers to my 10.0 value.

So, how do you increase the preload 4.5mm with the remote preload adjuster?
do you turn to the (+) or the (-) ?

is a click a mm?
With the Wilber remote preload option, IIRC there is 8mm of available travel. If you look toward the top of the spring while turning the remote preload, you will see the adjuster compressing the spring. I can't remember how many clicks are divided into the 8mm (22 or 24?), but 1 click is not 1mm. It is probably less than .5mm

Oh, so the 4.5 mm difference that longnokr referred to was 4.5mm of change measured from axle to some fixed point on the seat per Wilbers diagrams?

Oh, so the 4.5 mm difference that longnokr referred to was 4.5mm of change measured from axle to some fixed point on the seat per Wilbers diagrams?
I'm thinking that the way to measure this is to measure the full length of the spring as it is installed, then turn the big nut on the shock to change the hard preload, and measure full length of the spring again to get the extra 4.5 mm of hard preload. Leave the remote preload adjusted at minimum preload while you do this so you can use the full remote preload adjuster as an adder when you carry a load.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, Klaus said the factory told him I needed to compress the spring another 4.5 mm. Remove shock, compress spring paying close attention to mounts and remote orientation, raise bottom nut spring preload 4.5, reinstall and remeasure. He thinks the heavier spring would be to stiff for me solo, I doing it today, I'll let you know how it goes.

That's right, Klaus said the factory told him I needed to compress the spring another 4.5 mm. Remove shock, compress spring paying close attention to mounts and remote orientation, raise bottom nut spring preload 4.5, reinstall and remeasure. He thinks the heavier spring would be to stiff for me solo, I doing it today, I'll let you know how it goes.
Just keep in mind that if your unhappy with the results of additional preload on your spring, that a slightly stiffer spring with less initial preload will ride better over rough highway. Also adjusting your high speed compression settings will aid in this as well.