Wilbers USA now HYPERPRO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Wilbers came set up correctly and I was quite happy with it. Had the remote spring preload so I could easily set it for wife/no wife. Didn't put a lot of miles on it, though.

Seems like Klaus did the manly thing with regard to Wilbers.

Glad I am going with the penske for the rear and having the front redone also

Gpsuspension doing the work

Will be putting it to the test on some roads in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Ca. for the rest of the trip home

Going to be a one happier weekend rider when work is done :D weekend rider :D

I'm in the 'happy with my Wilbers' camp. I am also satisfied with the service I received from Klaus and would do business with him again in the future.

I'm in the 'happy with my Wilbers' camp. I am also satisfied with the service I received from Klaus and would do business with him again in the future.
Same here.

Happy with the 641+preload+ride height+fork spings combo. B)

Stef

After hearing of some failures and now this, I think its time to start saving my money for an Ohlins. <_<

A few failures does not make a bad product. I have heard of numerous Ohlins failures lately. One on my friends BMW GS from just on road riding. Lost the seal. Had to hard tail it back 600 miles.

I am really very happy with my Wilbers. I lucked out and didn't pay the full cost.

However, the first group buy seemed to sure be a fiasco. One bad thing about a forum of this size is that problems with products can seem to be many, when for the size of the community the statistics really aren't that bad. I'm not sure about how many people have had problems with their correctly set up Wilbers, but I know of a few.

I have 17k miles of a mixture of riding styles, road quality and load with no problems. Klaus has always been responsive to me and my questions and I didn't even buy my shock from him. I bought it second hand (new, but from someone else that was in on the second group buy).

Mistakes aside (did they resolve the group buy problem well?), Klaus seems like a guy willing to step up and take care of his customers to me. I'll be really interested to know more about how he handled the first group buy issues and also how Traxxion Dynamics rates Skyway's shock. Obviously, these are issues that should have been addressed by not only Klaus, but by Wilbers so I guess the jury is out on that one. The fact that it's a year later sure doesn't look good. You'd think we'd have heard about someone getting to the bottom of this by now. I guess the bottom may be that incorrect setups were sent out and nothing was done about it...speculation on my part...does anyone else have any more details???

I think Wilbers' exclusivity rule seems pretty heavy handed for a company that sells an expensive niche product. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to take that on and be limited in the products they can support their customer base with and limited in the amount of revenue they make. I can understand why Klaus would not and could not do that. That would be like Arai telling parts shops that they cannot carry Scorpion helmets. How many shops would go elsewhere for high end helmets? A bunch!

If you cannot afford Wilbers, I think there are some decent options out there. I read two favorable reviews and never heard anything bad about Hagon shocks that are available at https://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc/home.html I asked them if they have shocks for the FJR and the answer is "available, need to order, can be customized so we need......." (all sorts of info regarding minimum weight, max weight issues). The price sure seems reasonable compared to what Wilbers cost and compared to Penske (I just bought a Penske for Sherri's FZ6)

just my 2 cents, and surely the last two sense I have.

Interesting.

What's VERY interesting is that Wilbers has now basically decided it will not be selling its products to FJR owners anymore. Would ANYONE here buy a Wilbers product ever again? While I very much like my Wilbers shock, I don't need to put up with their ego. I find it AMAZING that Wilbers thinks it can, like McDonalds or Exxon, force franchise owners to carry them exclusively.

It's like a mouse claiming to be an elephant.

Good on Klaus for standing his ground. I've got a Wilburs shock on my FJR which I'm very happy with. That being said, it will be my last Wilburs product. Plenty of other options out there. Hope the asshats at Wilburs corporate are listening. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in on the 2006 Wilbers GB and I really like the rear shock action. The settings were perfect right from the box. The front springs were an improvement, but not enough to solve the horribly weak front suspension on my '05 - so the forks went to GP Suspension for revalving and heavier springs. Haven't got to ride since putting them back on, but looking forward to it.

Before you get too wound up about Ohlins, check out the Yamaha four stroke snowmobile forums, where the rear Ohlins shocks are blowing up like popcorn. While I personally have not had any trouble with the Ohlins shocks on my snowmobile, I think the moral here is that any product can have problems, and there are ALWAYS going to be some failures out there. Remember if it has tits or wheels, sooner or later you'll have trouble with it. How the factory and/or their representatives handle those problems is the real difference IMO.

Did we all write off the FJR because of tickers and Yamaha's poor response to the issue? No, but a few did.

Do we all need to write off Wilbers and/or Klaus because some had trouble? Same answer, methinks. B)

Last edited by a moderator: