Windshield comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Recently I took my newly purchased 2009 for an 1800 mile test ride. Experienced temps from 48 deg to 98. Stock windshield was excellent in hot temps in low position but lots of wind noise. Mid postion seemed to be its optimal but still lots of noise. In cold temps full up created a noticable vacuum effect, loud wind noise and significant helmet buffet. However it did keep me warm at 48 degrees with me wearing only windbreaker, flannel shirt and insulated shirt.

Today tested a California Scientific medium size. Quieter in all positions. Low position keeps airflow at and above shoulder level. Full up is very quiet no vacuum effect. Wind noise from half height to full up is comfortable without ear plugs. For me at 5 ft 8 inches, at full up and sitting fully upright its a look over shield. If I slouch a little bit like I normally ride its a look through. I like having that option. Get into heavy rain I like being behind the shield. Very happy with the product. I'll still hang onto the stock shield for short rides in hot temps here in Florida. Takes about 5 minutes to change them out.

Cheers, Bill

Agree on the Cal Sci recommendation Very pleased with mine and Mark from cal Sci couldn,t be more accomodating I,ve bought 2 from him

Bill, have you taken a pillion for a ride on it? I am having a hard time getting opinions on the pillion experience with these windshields. I'm also 5'8" and my wife is 5'5" and the stock windshield makes it so miserable she won't ride with me. Help?

Bill, have you taken a pillion for a ride on it? I am having a hard time getting opinions on the pillion experience with these windshields. I'm also 5'8" and my wife is 5'5" and the stock windshield makes it so miserable she won't ride with me. Help?
Can't help because I never ride two up. But there is no question in my mind that a Calisci will improve things. I suggest you call Mark and ask him the same question, he might recommend a taller windshield. The improvement over stock was very impressive to me. Likely Mark has had others ask a similar question.

Good luck, Bill

I had the stock, a Calsci tall, and now a Rifle..... the Rifle will make you forget all others... very quiet, smooth air, a bit daunting at first when you look at the barn door, but great for all weather except real hot. I recommend the Baker Air Wings to go with it, to bring air in or keep bad weather out.

I have seen (not tested) a large V-stream on a Gen 1, which looks like it would be quite good too. But, I'd now take the Rifle any day!

I've had good experience with a DeeBailey. I'm 6'1, the stock was too short to block the wind effectively. I'm happy with the bailey.

I have the Cal-Sci medium on my '06 FJR. Forget about the stock windscreen, you will never put it back on. :rolleyes:
Well, I don't quite agree... I love the Calsci I have for cooler and cold weather, but I wanted more air for the hotter summer days BELOW the top of my helmet. I am 5'11" BTW, and I usually keep the seat on the low position. So I put a stock shield on a few months ago for that reason, but now it's definitely time to change back to the Calsci again, summer is officially over after these next nice days, and I think we'll be skipping fall entirely this year and go directly to early winter... :blink: Damn that La Nina!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
...I am having a hard time getting opinions on the pillion experience with these windshields. I'm also 5'8" and my wife is 5'5" and the stock windshield makes it so miserable she won't ride with me...
... Damn that La Nina!!! It's El Niño that's back in town, and he is stormy.
Another option is the Laminar Lip, fugly for sure but it works well and puts a pocket of clean, quiet air over the pillion. I only put my 'Lip on in cool/cold weather because it works too well for warmer weather. The gorilla Velcro dots that hold it on are tenacious; you have to work to get the 'Lip off. It is important that you install the 'Lip per instructions for it to work well.

Clickable pic:

... Damn that La Nina!!! It's El Niño that's back in town, and he is stormy.
Yep, looks like both sides of the country are getting messed up this year, La Niña here in the west, El Niño over in the east. I will need to buy two new sets of winter tires for the cages...ouch.

I had the stock, a Calsci tall, and now a Rifle..... the Rifle will make you forget all others... very quiet, smooth air, a bit daunting at first when you look at the barn door, but great for all weather except real hot. I recommend the Baker Air Wings to go with it, to bring air in or keep bad weather out.

I have seen (not tested) a large V-stream on a Gen 1, which looks like it would be quite good too. But, I'd now take the Rifle any day!
After reading numerous windscreen reports I went with the Rifle, WOW is it nice! I have the +5 +4 (I'm 6'2" with a long torso). It looks a bit different as the "angle optimizers" set the windscreen at a different angle than stock. I'm used to it now, but it took awhile.

I haven't tried it with a pillion, so couldn't comment on that.

+1 more for LAMINAR LIP! Based on the reports on this FORUM I bit the bullet so to speak and got one. AWESOME!

It might be F-UGLY, but so am I, a good match up.

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

ceebailey 4+4 gave me buffeting and it cracked, then the yama tall with the laminar lip, same problem plus it was difficult to look thru. then i got an ex-large Cal Sci, end of all problems. bloody nice to look thru too.

ceebailey 4+4 gave me buffeting and it cracked, then the yama tall with the laminar lip, same problem plus it was difficult to look thru. then i got an ex-large Cal Sci, end of all problems. bloody nice to look thru too.
For me with the Calisci medium in full up position I can lean forward a bit and it becomes a look thru shield. I like that option and there is no noticable distorsion. I like having my eyes below the windshield in heavy rain.

Bill

I'm really surprised to hear that a Cee Bailey shield cracked! Mine is very stout.

Was the Cee Bailey you had one with the flip (reverse contour)? I'm curious because most people that didn't like the Cee Bailey got one without the flip. The flip makes a huge difference in my experience.