Windshield drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironfish

Reaction score
HI

I have 2012 fjr and the windshield drive does not run smoothi lubed the tracks but no help can you adjust the drive?
help.gif

No, but if you do a search for windshield movement, you will find a bunch of threads on it. Most end up taking the whole front mechanism apart, which requires removal of the front cowling.

HI
I have 2012 fjr and the windshield drive does not run smoothi lubed the tracks but no help can you adjust the drive? :help:
Make sure it's not the rubber the arms slide through, known to come unglued.

If you just squirted lube through the slot, that's not going to do much [if any] good. Bite the bullet and as mentioned, pull off the nose and clean and lube the mechanism.

Not a unique issue, good luck!

--G

Take 4 hours, pull off the nose and clean and lube the mechanism... According to yamaha, the mechanisme must be lube each 4 years!

If it's of any help, I took off the side and nose fairings from my 2006, my pictorial "how to" here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my 2010 when I bought it. I tried to lube the system without full disassemble, ended up taking the the whole thing apart, cleaning and applying lithium grease to all the moving/sliding parts. The windshield slide is nice and smooth now. The Gen II power shield mechanism is not a simply screw jack, its a complicated set of sliders and bushings, lots of places for things to get dirt in and gum up.

And WHEN you take the front off to get to the wind shield stuff, take a few minutes to plug/unplug connectors & relays. Inspect the wires. Maybe something like ACF50 for corrosion prevention. You'll be glad you did.

When my 08 was new the windshield used to chatter up and down? Not so it wouldn't operate, it just didn't move smoothly. Eventually it stopped chattering and I never did anything more than use it. Go figure?