Windshield groans when retracting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool_cynic

Reaction score
Good morning,

I searched the posts and found one other person who had mentioned this issue, so I'm putting it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this issue: When I shut off the bike this morning and turned the key off, the windshield auto-retracted as usual, however it made kind of a groaning noise and shook a bit. I thought I was hearing things since my earplugs were still in, so turned the ignition back on, raised the shield (silently) and then turned the ignition off; the windshield retracted with a clearly audible kind of groan, and looked like it was shaking/stuttering. I did clean the shield this morning, but was not excessively vigorous with the rubbing...

This is a 'new' 2008 that I've had for 3 weeks. Yes, it is still under warranty, and if it gets worse, I'll take it in, but riding season is just kicking off and if there is something I can check or lube or adjust myself, all the better (I really dislike dealerships, but that's a topic for another thread).

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post. I appreciate any/all feedback.

Two immediate thoughts come to mind.

1. Check the rubber 'seal' on the backside of the front cowling. You'll need to look through the slots the windshield rasing arms protrude through. Many FJR peeps find this useless POS rubber ungluded, and getting in the way of the actuation arms.

2. Trade that 2008, untried and unproven bike straight across with me for a well proven, solid, reliable 2006 model! :yahoo:

Oh, yeah, you might try lubing all the pivot points too..

But I really think what you are hearing is the acuating arms simply rubbing against the rubber 'seals'. You could wet the rubber (LOL) with some lubricant (oh gawd) then acutate the shield to see if makes the same squeeking binding sound.

Good morning,I searched the posts and found one other person who had mentioned this issue, so I'm putting it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this issue: When I shut off the bike this morning and turned the key off, the windshield auto-retracted as usual, however it made kind of a groaning noise and shook a bit. I thought I was hearing things since my earplugs were still in, so turned the ignition back on, raised the shield (silently) and then turned the ignition off; the windshield retracted with a clearly audible kind of groan, and looked like it was shaking/stuttering. I did clean the shield this morning, but was not excessively vigorous with the rubbing...

This is a 'new' 2008 that I've had for 3 weeks. Yes, it is still under warranty, and if it gets worse, I'll take it in, but riding season is just kicking off and if there is something I can check or lube or adjust myself, all the better (I really dislike dealerships, but that's a topic for another thread).

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post. I appreciate any/all feedback.

Both my 2004 and 2008 model did this after washing the bike. It goes back to normal by the next day. Don' sweat it.

After an 800 mile ride last week my '08 started doing the same exact thing. Sounded like it was farting when with windshield retracted (I had to double check to make sure it wasn't me). I sprayed just a little bit of silicone lubricant on the pivot points or close to them by sticking the little red nozzle straw down through the rubber seals. Waited about 5 minutes and it was back to normal again.

All better now.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this noise..I have an 08 also, I just spray some silicone in there, and forget about it.

Thank you everyone for the rapid responses! I will pick up some spray silicone tonight and try lubing the pivot points up a bit. I'll be sure to report back whether it was a successful fix or not. Thanks again!

[quote name='SouthernCruizer' post='574506' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:07 AM'

Both my 2004 and 2008 model did this after washing the bike. It goes back to normal by the next day. Don' sweat it.

wash the bike ??? wash the bike ??? I'm supposed to wash ya ole '04 Jay ??? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the recommendations. I have yet to lube the pivots, but the noise has gone away...for now. Maybe it's the cold temperature riding I've been doing...those 26 degree mornings sure do wake you up though! Thanks again.

But I really think what you are hearing is the acuating arms simply rubbing against the rubber 'seals'. You could wet the rubber (LOL) with some lubricant (oh gawd) then acutate the shield to see if makes the same squeeking binding sound.
Rotella 15/40 regular or full Synthetic? Amsoil? Whale jizz? Moly paste? Kentucky jelly?

To many choices here :blink: What are you suggestin' ol' wise one?

:jester:

Rotella 15/40 regular or full Synthetic? Amsoil? Whale jizz? Moly paste? Kentucky jelly?

To many choices here :blink: What are you suggestin' ol' wise one?

:jester:
Knuckle chowder seems to work good 'til it dries. :blink:

The windshield on my '08 was groaning on retraction also. It no longer bothers me since I disconnected the auto-retraction connector and usually leave the shield in the same position!

The windshield on my '08 was groaning on retraction also. It no longer bothers me since I disconnected the auto-retraction connector and usually leave the shield in the same position!
Ditto for me. If you ride with it partway up and stop, why wouldn't you want it part way up when you start it up again? Plus I figured that constant pointless up-and-down was just going to eventually wear the windshield motor out sooner, and then I wouldn't be able to adjust it at all (without another expensive repair, that is). The disable is super simple, btw.

mine is groaning too - fired some WD40 in it a few weeks ago and it was fine till today.

deluged it again - but it just won't quit moaning????

guess i need to disconnect the dang thing!

mine is groaning too - fired some WD40 in it a few weeks ago and it was fine till today.
deluged it again - but it just won't quit moaning????

guess i need to disconnect the dang thing!
Its not the pivot points, sorry to disappoint. Its the ballscrew of the drive motor mechnism.

https://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=6610...mp;id=661018956

However, its not easily accessible, good luck.
Sorry guys, i cant seem to attach an image. Its got to be linked.