winter storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your priorities right. Put the Toyota in the shed.
I wish!!! I knew when I built that shed I should have gone with the garage sized version.

It is in the backyard. Kinda hard on the grass pulling the 11 ton Sequoia into the backyard in the snow.

If you're putting the bike in the shed, consider running an extension cord out there and plugging in a basic marine dehumidifier. You want the type that plugs in and just runs without being messed with.

I appreciate the advice. I walked past my baby in the garage today and thought I heard her say "Did I hear you say something about me spending the winter in the shed?" Before I could even let her know what I was thinking. She whispered some questions that certainly made her point clear. "How would you like it if I put you out in the shed all winter?" "You can't just take me out for a quickie if you put me in that cold dark shed." "I don't belong with kids bikes, the wheelbarrow , yard tools, old paint cans, and I certainly don't like weed wackers." "If you make me share space with that old riding mower, that might be the only thing you wind up riding next spring!!"

I cleared out a prime spot in the garage facing the street for her about 15 min later.

Maybe this belongs in "What did you do FOR your FJR today"

Cav

That right there was the right solution. Put all the other undeserving shit in the shed and leave the FJR out where you can reach her...Just in case there's a nice day.

I put the bike in storage yesterday. Pretty soon there will be no more nice days, only cold and snowy days with lots of salt and grit on the roads.

Fill the gas tank, run stabil thru the system, cover, and walk away. I sold my 2008 FJR with the original battery in it a couple of weeks ago. Never once used a battery tender.

In Spring, change the oil, check the tires, and ride.

I second what deagle says. Still on my original battery also but when it gets down into the twentys she don't turn over as quick. Needed a couple of jump starts last winter season.

I have also learned my lesson to change the oil in the spring if it sits to long.

Dave

I store my 08 in an unheated basement and now a garage! I change the oil and filter, drain and refill the pumpkin. Fill the fuel tank and add stabilizer and run the bike a few minutes to circulate the stabilizer. Flush your hydralics (clutch and brakes) it accumulates moisture and is better replaced before the bike sits for an extended period of time. I stuff a metal Chore girl into the opening to the air intake. (make a note to remove in the spring) I normally use a battery tender all the time so that remains the same. Put the bike on the center stand. Clean and cover the bike. This year I have to store the bike in my garage which will have a car driven in and out with the likely hood of snow residue being brought into the garage, consequently moisture will be present on occasion? I will try to keep this to a minimum but? For other bikes I have owned I have taken a large coffee can and turned it into a small heater running a 40 to 60 watt light. I placed it under the bike cover and it created enough heat to repel most moisture! I live in the B.C, interior where we experience winter temps in the freezing area and can get a fair bit of snow depending on the snow gods?

I store my 08 in an unheated basement and now a garage! I change the oil and filter, drain and refill the pumpkin. Fill the fuel tank and add stabilizer and run the bike a few minutes to circulate the stabilizer. Flush your hydralics (clutch and brakes) it accumulates moisture and is better replaced before the bike sits for an extended period of time. I stuff a metal Chore girl into the opening to the air intake. (make a note to remove in the spring) I normally use a battery tender all the time so that remains the same. Put the bike on the center stand. Clean and cover the bike. This year I have to store the bike in my garage which will have a car driven in and out with the likely hood of snow residue being brought into the garage, consequently moisture will be present on occasion? I will try to keep this to a minimum but? For other bikes I have owned I have taken a large coffee can and turned it into a small heater running a 40 to 60 watt light. I placed it under the bike cover and it created enough heat to repel most moisture! I live in the B.C, interior where we experience winter temps in the freezing area and can get a fair bit of snow depending on the snow gods?
I find that a dehumidifier in the garage combined with a wet-vac for those really messy snow days helps to keep everything pretty dry.

Plugging the airbox inlet would be a good idea. My bike never sits more than a few days because even though I live further north than you, we only have to deal with rain here and very rarely ice or snow. Despite regular use, mice have taken advantage of my air filter:

filter_bait.jpg

Those are mouse bait pellets that I keep out in the garage to kill the little bastards, but obviously one of them decided to stash some in there before succumbing to the lethal effects of the "dinner" I provided for them.

Winter storage...hmmmm...living in MN mine ends up in "storage." But storage is just time to take care of my to do list of maintenance and farkle items...a list single spaced and a little over a page long. I just epoxied the garage floor...the 65000 BTU Hot Dawg heater has been tested and is ready to go and the "storage" stall is equipped with digital TV and a rockin stereo system. At least I can work on it in relative comfort whilst the snow blankets the ground.

Hanging a couple of bounce dryer sheets here and there on the underside of the bike, stuffed into the air intake etc will deter rodents. Mothballs also work, but the camphor smell is rather intense.

Gen IIs extra cats scare away more mice :p