Would you buy a 07 with 63K miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an 07 owner with 70,000 miles who seriously plans on putting another 140,000 miles on it as it runs like the day I bought it.

1) The Throttle deal can be a deal breaker for some, I traded with one of the guys once here who had an 08 he didn't want to ride mine long.

2) As far as the AE is concerned they may not have the same issues so can't help you there. I'm a standard shift guy, and as they aren't importing the AE's that might cause me a bit of concern also.

3) I see some dam good deals on the 08's out there right now and if I had a friend buying I'd try to sway him that way. A up grade gear box and smother.

My two cents and that's not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also as an '07 owner from new with 73K miles, I can say if you like it buy it. With regular maintenance 63k is nothing. The farkles are worth the little extra, you'll prolly end up doing most of them anyway.

Lots of good advice already so I'll not echo any more. Bottom line pick the newest, best maintained, lowest mileage bike you can afford and ride it until it drops. FWIW, 08s and newer have some worthwhile improvements that should be considered.

Good luck with the search!

--G

I may have missed it, but is the owner of the 07' the original owner? Doesn't sound like he is. Is he the second? If he has only had the bike a short time and has no maintenance records that would make a big difference on which bike I would consider.

Holy crap. Do you guys overthink every f'n thing.
I can't wait for Spring.
I don't think it gets any better in the Spring!
laugh.png

I was fortunate enough to get my '07 with fairly low mileage, unfarkled, for a good price. The throttle issue bothered me a small amount when I first picked it up but after some miles I learned to ride around it. Now the only time it really bothers me is when I'm fatigued. I haven't done the spring unwind or any type of PC as yet.

On the A versus AE arument, I'm a clutch lever enthusiast kind of guy. I also prefer the Black Cherry color.Cruise control is something I've never had on a bike and rarely if ever use in my truck. Pick which mods are imprtant to you and factor in the cost of making them. I enjoy putting on my own farkles and that way I know how it was done if something does go wrong.

Have a local dealer check the VIN numbers on whichever bike you choose for outstanding recalls.

Good luck and happy hunting.

My goal is to use it for nice mid range , 300 to 500 mile trips, a couple of times a year, for the next six to 8 years.
Let me also say this. While a lot of those farkles are nice to have...you really aren't going to need them much. Even if you were talking about 300-500 miles per day, I dunno if they'd be necessary. I'm far from an LD rider, but I do know that I could use a little adjustment to the bars to make things more comfortable, but it takes about 600-700 miles before I start to feel it. On a 300 mile trip...I doubt I'd ever really think much about cruise control.

I'm in the camp that thinks you might end up riding more than you think, but if you hit your estimate...then the farkles won't be worth so much.

Then there's your resale value. Doing the math, putting you on the high side of your estimates, say taking 3 500 mile trips per year and keeping it for 8 years. You'll put 12,000 miles on the bike.

In the end you'll be selling one of the two bikes below:

15 year old bike with 75K miles on it and a lot of very old farkles.

16 year old bike with 19K miles on it.

One of those might be easier to get rid of than the other. If that matters to you at all.

Good point. I keep forgetting it's an AE we are talking about.

62,000 on my 2007 AE and everything works and runs perfectly I would have no problem buying and FJR with even higher miles on it.

Just letting you know... The '06 and '07 in stock trim have the worst low RPM throttle response and lurch of any year FJR. There are some who can "ride around it" and it never bothers them. The majority have an issue with it. Those two year models had a different throttle pulley and extremely lean fuel mapping. The throttle response is very abrupt at the bottom and is non-linear.
The most common fixes:

1. Power Commander 3 or 5.

2. G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer throttle tube.

The Power Commander listed on the '07 you are looking at is probably to tune/tame the throttle response. There is usually not much horsepower gain from it. You are looking at about a $350 plus item here.

The Throttle Tamer effectively counteracts the shape of the pulley at the throttle bodies and gives a linear and controllable response.

If color matters to you, the '06 is a wonderful dark blue metallic color and the '07 will be Black Cherry like the one in my avatar pic.
The bike should have had at least one valve check. If not, plan on about $500-$600 as you should do that.

The black cherry is almost as purty as my Black Raven. Actually the Black Cherry is my favorite FJR color...It's faster too.

Bill

I'd buy one but i wouldn't pay $5,800 for it.

About $4,000-$4,500 would be my offer.

You could find a low mileage one for about a grand more than he's asking.

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine March 2014 issue Used Bike Value Guide shows 2007 Yamaha FJR1300A $7670. They do not specific mileage just state this is based on base model in good condition. I recently sold my 2007 with 32000 miles and in near mint condition for $7500. The bike had Power Commander III, Heli Riser Triple Clamp, G2, Vibranator bar ends and Cal-Sci windscreen. Tires were PR2's with only 1.5 32nd tread wear. All recalls done.

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine March 2014 issue Used Bike Value Guide shows 2007 Yamaha FJR1300A $7670. They do not specific mileage just state this is based on base model in good condition. I recently sold my 2007 with 32000 miles and in near mint condition for $7500. The bike had Power Commander III, Heli Riser Triple Clamp, G2, Vibranator bar ends and Cal-Sci windscreen. Tires were PR2's with only 1.5 32nd tread wear. All recalls done.

Milage matters in the value of "any" vehicle...the FJR is no different.

You sold your 2007 with 32,000 miles for 7,500, the posters bike he asked about has twice the mileage....it has to be worth less, I may be a little low in my 4-4.5 K but maybe 2,000 less than you sold yours for becasue of the milage.

smile.png
I seldom check this forum since I moved on to a Super Tenere. How strange to sign in and find my old FJR.

I sold this bike to a guy from Florida last June. I was the original owner. It was serviced regularly. At the time of sell the bike ran great. It had a Penske rear shock and front springs for my weight of 220 lbs. The valves had been checked twice, the last check at around 52,000 miles, and valves did not need adjusting either time. It has the upgraded cam chain tensioner. The cruise control pad was sealed well and the CC had worked well for over 50.000 miles. The purchaser complained that the bike was too tall with the Penske shock and Russell seat. The CL add shows a stock seat. It would be worth checking to see if it still has a Penske shock.

It was a nice bike last June. I have no idea what the bike is like now. Strange world
smile.png

I think I am with you Fred. I don't really have a preference. And I also think Dave, you are right. It seems to be maintained well. Im gonna just lowball each seller and see if I can get a deal. Both bikes have been listed for a month, so I guess its a buyers market.
Don't worry about the mileage, but pay attention to things like how it shifts and if it pops out of second gear at WOT. I started dealing with transmission problems @86k on my 2006 so that's at the forefront of my mind. I don't think FJR's are especially prone to transmission problems, but they are very difficult / expensive to fix.

Another thing: If you're aggressive in the corners the 06-07 throttle lurch will drive you nuts and the PC3/PC5 + G2 will only mitigate so much. Poke around on this site for more info. If I were looking for an FJR, I'd only consider 2008+ models to avoid that lurch.

Milage matters in the value of "any" vehicle...the FJR is no different.

You sold your 2007 with 32,000 miles for 7,500, the posters bike he asked about has twice the mileage....it has to be worth less, I may be a little low in my 4-4.5 K but maybe 2,000 less than you sold yours for becasue of the milage.
So you think an additional 30k miles decreases the value of an '07 FJR by $2k? I don't think so. Sure it is worth a little bit less, but not $2k considering the bike is already 7 years old.

For me the PCIII and g2 throttle tube fixed the throttle lurch completely, it was not an issue for me with this specific bike.