Would you take on the project?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, even if the engine is a boat anchor, a $1000 investment in an eBay Gen II motor gets you a fully functioning motorcycle (and a bushel of spare engine parts for future consideration or sale.) Assuming a bunch of other shit isn't broken or missing. Noted that bike is an AE - necessary parts can be swapped from your engine to an "A" engine to make it AE

There is money to make in selling bike parts. I've torn down a few bikes and made decent money back in the day. Not BIG money, but decent. But if I'm buying that bike for parts, it's not going to be for $1,000.00. I have a friend in south Carolina who is a bike mechanic and sells used bike parts. His rule of thumb is 1:5. He looks at the bike and he has to physically see no less than 5 times what he is fixing to pay or he won't buy it. It's possible that other stuff will make it worth more, but in this case, you can't count on anything from within the motor. Remember - it's only what you can actually see.

So.... considering the bags and plastic and maybe the seat - I see $1,250.00. Therefore, for parts, that bike is worth $250.00.

I think you made a good decision, Joe.

Last edited by a moderator: